Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=311926)

cosbySweater 05-08-2016 11:48 PM

doit!!!!!

Tfrasca 05-08-2016 11:54 PM

When I took my car to Tahoe (the first time) it was in WAY worse condition than yours. You'll be fine!

The Full Banana 05-09-2016 12:23 AM

I thoroughly enjoy seeing your updates. This is a very neat car you've put together, and it's pretty awesome to see it getting proper use!

Coupid 05-09-2016 01:31 AM

...

Coupid 05-09-2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosbySweater (Post 5393728)
doit!!!!!

I'm tempted man!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfrasca (Post 5393731)
When I took my car to Tahoe (the first time) it was in WAY worse condition than yours. You'll be fine!

A trip to Davis would have been a no brainer but 2000 miles is lot to do over a weekend. Will see if I can get around the logistics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 5393753)
I thoroughly enjoy seeing your updates. This is a very neat car you've put together, and it's pretty awesome to see it getting proper use!

Thanks! This is the first time I have done a thread for a car I am working on and I have had a lot of fun writing, photographing and being able to look back on its progress.

NO_SPRK 05-09-2016 03:38 AM

Do it! Let's rep the 140s


Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5393693)
After this drive I am fully tempted to drive up to IPD later this month...


Jack 05-09-2016 11:13 AM

Recaros look great in there. Might want to consider some light tint to keep them from fading

Duder 05-09-2016 01:26 PM

Yay, brown Recaro club! Nice score.

There are pics in my 242 build thread of mine. Yours look considerably more plush & luxuriant.

Coupid 05-09-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK (Post 5393797)
Do it! Let's rep the 140s


What day are you driving up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack (Post 5393914)
Recaros look great in there. Might want to consider some light tint to keep them from fading

That's a good idea, they make clear UV blinking tint don't they? The car is in a garage so they shouldn't fade too badly for the time being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duder (Post 5394055)
Yay, brown Recaro club! Nice score.

There are pics in my 242 build thread of mine. Yours look considerably more plush & luxuriant.

What are the chances, 2 sets of brown recaros in Southern California? Yours look to be really nice shape mine just have the adjustable side bolsters and upper seat backs. I love your car

Jack 05-09-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5394302)
That's a good idea, they make clear UV blinking tint don't they? The car is in a garage so they shouldn't fade too badly for the time being.

blinking?

I mean they're not going to fade overnight :-P:-P but even a 95% tint with 100% uv reduction is a worth investment IMO

Coupid 05-09-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack (Post 5394443)
blinking?

I mean they're not going to fade overnight :-P:-P but even a 95% tint with 100% uv reduction is a worth investment IMO


Yeah most UV damage to car interiors is from the radiation from other car's turn signals...


Haha I don't even know. Thats what I get for getting on turbobricks from my phone. Yeah you're absolutely right though about the UV reduction from a light tint.

Jack 05-10-2016 12:05 AM

drive down to whittier tint shop .. I got my 850 done there 10 years ago for the cheap

and it's still doing great

Coupid 05-14-2016 11:45 PM

I cleaned and painted the buttcheeks but then never got around to setting the jerry can in it. Pretty silly since that was the whole point of that exercise.

Here it is in the car:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/...829c67b3_z.jpg

I'm tempted to get some paint stripper and take the can down to bare metal and repainted...

Coupid 05-15-2016 08:44 PM

Mellow weekend on the Volvo. Took it to Cars and Coffee in Montecito today and the Mullin Museum yesterday. I'd love to have an overdrive but the 4-speed is fine on the highway. Plus it keeps me in the slow lane putting along.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/...e469b064_z.jpg

This afternoon I worked on the roof. The original owner said that she tried to use the car as a ladder for trimming the hedge. It looks like someone had a line dancing competition on it. When I first got it I was able to massage the largest dents out so that they werent that noticeable. I spent some time fine tuning today and it looks better but still far from perfect. How hard is it to drop the headliner?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7765/...41050bff_z.jpg

Hopefully I can get the roof perfect and find a hood in the next few weeks. Our wedding is on 7/16 and I want the car to look as good as possible for our reception arrival.

vintagewrench 05-16-2016 11:31 AM

Coupid - I looked thru your thread this morning - GREAT job on the 142!!

Jack 05-16-2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5397841)

Hopefully I can get the roof perfect and find a hood in the next few weeks. Our wedding is on 7/16 and I want the car to look as good as possible for our reception arrival.


haz yellow hood

Coupid 05-16-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagewrench (Post 5398175)
Coupid - I looked thru your thread this morning - GREAT job on the 142!!

Thanks! Can't wait to keep reading yours and learning more and more.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack (Post 5398182)
haz yellow hood

Orly? I'm very interested.

NO_SPRK 05-16-2016 05:11 PM

FTFY :-P :oogle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 5398182)
i haz yellow belly


btw i still have that white mirror for your car

Greyscale 05-16-2016 10:11 PM

I can never get enough of this car!

Good luck with the headliner, I wouldn't think it would be more than several clips. Have you tried pulling lightly here and there around the edges?

Coupid 05-16-2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK (Post 5398502)
FTFY :-P :oogle:




btw i still have that white mirror for your car

Oh yeah! I'm sure you have a lot of other parts I want too. Too bad there wasn't a Davis this year to encourage me to drive up to the Bay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyscale (Post 5398672)
I can never get enough of this car!

Good luck with the headliner, I wouldn't think it would be more than several clips. Have you tried pulling lightly here and there around the edges?

Thanks! No I haven't looked at it at all really. Come to think of it its probably in the Haynes manual even

240keith 05-19-2016 12:11 AM

this looked great at cars and coffee... let me know if you need a second set of hands for reception refurb

Coupid 05-19-2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240keith (Post 5400158)
this looked great at cars and coffee... let me know if you need a second set of hands for reception refurb

Thanks Keith! You've given me so many awesome suggestions throughout the process. I will absolutely take you up on that offer.

Coupid 05-29-2016 01:32 PM

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7703/2...67661528_c.jpg

I'm picking up a rust free hood from Jack. It should ship tuesday and arrive here soon!

Took the car to cars and coffee in the rain today. My wipers work but need new rubber. What is the best source for that?

John242Ti 05-29-2016 01:36 PM

If they're stock blades, they're Anco.

-J

240keith 05-29-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5406100)
Took the car to cars and coffee in the rain today. My wipers work but need new rubber. What is the best source for that?

rainex, and drive faster:cool:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.