Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=311926)

Coupid 01-09-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK (Post 5730230)
i have a few sets of 164 wheels.
even a rare 1yr only 5.5" wide wheel set in a et25 offset. they will poke a little but look soo nice with the deeper dish

The more I think about it, I think I should do everything I can to make these wheels work. I rolled the fenders even more over the weekend and ordered some taller front springs. Leaving the rear where it is with the increased clearance and raising up the front will make the car a lot more fun to drive. Once the parts arrive from VP I’ll be off to the races and hopefully ready for Davis, which has always been a goal for me.

Thanks for all the advice and support in this thread!

Tfrasca 01-09-2018 08:55 PM

I also just raised my front end up about an inch and the rear 3/8". It's SO much more enjoyable to drive. I think our cars were at a similar height before.

fortbrick 01-10-2018 08:53 PM

Happy to hear that you've decided to hold on to it. Every time I see this car it makes me want a 140 that much more.

Coupid 01-19-2018 09:01 PM

Where is the best place to mount a Malpassi Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 140? Inquiring minds want to know...

Coupid 01-20-2018 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5736466)
Where is the best place to mount a Malpassi Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 140? Inquiring minds want to know...

Before anyone answers that I have another question.

Will this spot work? I know it should be kept away from heat (ie the headers) but this side of the engine bay is so much less crowded. Anyone with some experience doing something similar?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4659/...faf3cac5_c.jpg

hiperfauto 01-20-2018 12:37 AM

This is from Skandix's site.

http://media.skandix.de/eimg/2000042.jpg

I don't like how far the fuel lines need to be run to put it there. I'd try to mount it to the lip on the firewall (or bend the bracket 90° and bolt it thru the firewall). That will keep the lines nice and short.

Coupid 01-20-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiperfauto (Post 5736621)
This is from Skandix's site.

I don't like how far the fuel lines need to be run to put it there. I'd try to mount it to the lip on the firewall (or bend the bracket 90° and bolt it thru the firewall). That will keep the lines nice and short.

Thanks for the photo! I measured the distance from the outlet of the fuel pump back to the firewall and then to the carb and it was longer than if I mounted it near the radiator like in that photo.

When I plumbed it in the fuel pressure was at like 6psi. I backed it down to 3 (the lower limit with the spring that came with the Fuel King) later today I will readjust the idle mixture/speed and jets and possibly the main jets too.

I feel like an idiot for not doing this sooner. I bet it solves all the little nagging issues with the car. When I first installed the Weber I read that the fuel pressure should be between 2.5 and 3PSI but thought that didn't apply to me. The car has run fine after a lot of fiddling around but the idle was still a little high no matter what size jet I put in the idle circuit.

Coupid 01-20-2018 10:06 PM

Final mounting position https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4724/...525b4992_c.jpg

Tfrasca 01-21-2018 11:04 AM

That fuel line draped over the exhaust manifold makes me nervous.

Coupid 01-21-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfrasca (Post 5737158)
That fuel line draped over the exhaust manifold makes me nervous.

I hear what you are saying but that photo is a little misleading. It really wasn’t that close to the manifold. After cars and coffee today I spun the fuel line holder bracket around so it was pointed to the fan not the carb.

Coupid 01-21-2018 04:03 PM

Once the engine cools down I am going to move the line under the radiator hose and back into its repositioned holder
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4697/...b21275c6_c.jpg

matt b 01-21-2018 05:36 PM

Your car is begging for dual Webers. Ditch that single downdraft, it limits power and dual Webers aren't complicated to tune.

Ian, why does the length of the fuel line matter ? Is it a safety issue or does it affect the fuel pressure/flow at all ?

sksmith 01-21-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt b (Post 5737327)
Your car is begging for dual Webers. Ditch that single downdraft, it limits power and dual Webers aren't complicated to tune.

Agreed!!! Someone has a nice nearly new set in the "for sale" section.
(Do you like how we are spending your money? :))

hiperfauto 01-21-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

I concur. Dual side drafts look, sound and work much better.

Quote:

Ian, why does the length of the fuel line matter ? Is it a safety issue or does it affect the fuel pressure/flow at all ?

The shorter the lines, the less chance for chafing and less chance for heat to be absorbed.

matt b 01-21-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sksmith (Post 5737421)
Agreed!!! Someone has a nice nearly new set in the "for sale" section.
(Do you like how we are spending your money? :))

We're helping him and Mike Jr. And the US economy. It's all good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiperfauto (Post 5737448)
The shorter the lines, the less chance for chafing and less chance for heat to be absorbed.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Coupid 01-22-2018 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt b (Post 5737480)
We're helping him and Mike Jr. And the US economy. It's all good.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Don't think I havent been watching that for sale thread intently. It's a great deal but still hard to justify spending that much on carbs when the current weber does the job just fine.

matt b 01-22-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupid (Post 5737551)
Don't think I havent been watching that for sale thread intently. It's a great deal but still hard to justify spending that much on carbs when the current weber does the job just fine.

Given the direction you're taking with this car, the wheels, the stance, the soon to be fixed rockers, I see it as a logical step. I am not saying do it now, I'm just saying: keep it on your list of things to do.

My first Amazon had your set up, it worked fine since the car was just used in town. Then I moved to AZ, got stupid and wanted more and I haven't looked back.

Coupid 01-23-2018 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt b (Post 5737631)
Given the direction you're taking with this car, the wheels, the stance, the soon to be fixed rockers, I see it as a logical step. I am not saying do it now, I'm just saying: keep it on your list of things to do.

My first Amazon had your set up, it worked fine since the car was just used in town. Then I moved to AZ, got stupid and wanted more and I haven't looked back.

I most certainly will keep it on the list. Mike's set in For Sale is very tempting, but I want to stay focussed on the front suspension/steering and body but I'm sure I'll be on the lookout in a few months.

Coupid 01-28-2018 10:27 PM

My box from VP Autoparts showed up yesterday!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4753/...fa151f14_c.jpg

It includes new upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod kit, lower control arm bolts and idler arm bushing.

While I'm at it I will swap the front springs to 5x9.5 800lbs to raise up the front end.

I went to the garage to open the box and take inventory with no intention of working on the car. Two hours later...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4751/...65eb3c5e_c.jpg

Can't wait to see how the car drives when it is all back together!

Vol242vo 01-28-2018 10:41 PM

Heck yeah! That’ll make a nice difference.

matt b 01-31-2018 05:16 PM

Nice improvement for sure. I like VP's stuff, there's no drama involved.

sksmith 02-01-2018 10:05 PM

VP is top-notch (as are Eric & Ian!).
Mattias at VP is very good to deal with. I still have in-laws in Charleston, so I usually plan a pick-up around trips down there.
Sure saved on shipping when I picked up my upholstery and exhaust system.

Coupid 02-02-2018 12:59 AM

Good god, whats the trick for getting these lower ball joints off? They are stamped "Volvo" and might be original. They don't want to leave their home no matter what I do with the loaner ball joint press from Orielly's.

hiperfauto 02-02-2018 01:57 AM

Hold the A arm by the end with the bushings and slam the ball joint stud onto a steel table, vice anvil or something similarly hard a few times until it pops out. This might be difficult if the stud is really floppy.

Coupid 02-02-2018 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiperfauto (Post 5742854)
Hold the A arm by the end with the bushings and slam the ball joint stud onto a steel table, vice anvil or something similarly hard a few times until it pops out. This might be difficult if the stud is really floppy.

there's something I hadn't thought of doing. Now to find an anvil!