• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

I'm a sucker for well designed stuff. The brake booster will hopefully be in tomorrow, it is a much smaller footprint but a good bit longer and heavier. I just have to figure out how to stop the reservoir from leaking.

I had today to work on the car again, it was a bit win, a bit lose.

I added crankcase ventilation to the valve covers, that went fairly smooth. The hydroboost was a bit different. I guess I messed up with the measurements of where the clevis that mounts on the pedal goes, it is about a half inch or so too long. I went to install the hoses, and the power steering pump to hydroboost was fine, but the line to the steering rack wasn't. The fitting is not what I thought it was. Not usually a big deal but my lift time is at an end tomorrow, I will try to get the right fitting locally in the morning, which always cost twice as much as it should, but oh well.

As far as the spacing on the clevis, I will do a bit of grinding on the clevis and space the hydroboost off the firewall a little, hopefully that get it done without a huge pain in the ass.

I wasn't able to make the brake fluid reservoir stop leaking, I did manage to make it worse though haha. I will probably just use the mustang reservoir, it looks goofy but I get move on.

I put the breathers in the only real estate available. Since they are semi-tall valve covers there is no rocker clearance issues. They are packed with fiberglass window screens to hopefully stop them from sucking oil up.

C51Iy3ul.jpg

oer2Eipl.jpg

I finally got the hydroboost unit and high pressure lines installed. I ended up drilling the clevis hole out a few hundredths and using the aluminum spacer plate I made a while ago. If anyone needs to know or cares, you need a 14mm to 6AN banjo fitting in the rack.

Did a little wiring under the car, hopefully the "speed signal" wire for the ecu is the same as the electronic speedo output on the transmission, IDK. It makes sense and plugs into the hole so...

Some mice started eating a kevlar spark plug wire boot, wtf.

This thing cost $30 :grrr: list is $50! At the local hydraulic shop.

onmToyvl.jpg

I only had to take it in and out about 15 times to get it to fit correctly lol. You need to make sure there is no preload on it or the brakes will drag all the time.

RHV6YFJl.jpg

While saving up for the next round of parts, I decided to build the 3rd member for the Ford 9" rear. I bought a Yukon Gear 3.89 ring and pinion, install kit, and a Detroit Truetrac a while ago. Got all the pieces on the bench and it occurred to me that I may have a problem, I know a little more now than when I originally purchased this stuff.
The main mistake I made was specifying 35 spline axles for the Truetrac. That requires 3.25 " carrier bearings, and my carrier is only 2.89", no way 35 spline axles are gonna work.

That leaves me with the following options (either option requires new axles):
1: Buy a new carrier and pinion support that have proper size bearing holes for 35 spline axles. These are only available in the aftermarket.
2: Attempt to return the Truetrac (its been almost 2 years since I bought it) and get one for 31 spline axles.

I am pretty sure #1 is the way to go, an updated carrier and pinion support will be stronger (and hopefully a little lighter) and I can still have beefcake 35 spline axles.

Thanks, like every other system it cost a bit more than anticipated. But it should be worth it in terms of space saved and brake performance. I mostly did it for valve cover/coil clearance.

I should be ready to buy more parts next month to get this underway again.

I had 8AN fittings welded to the stock sending unit, and about to put the Aeromotive pump in. It's 340 lph Stealth series pump to feed the surge tank pumps. Fuel system is getting close, I just need to run (and buy) feed and return lines, and connect from the regulator to the fuel rails.

I was fortunate to find a good job this year, just in time to get hit with house/dentist/life types of expenses, but I am more excited than ever to get this on the road.

lY3MkxSl.jpg

I should mention that I will not be running that pump on those tiny little stock wires. Currently searching for a nice bulkhead fitting to mount through the flange. Might be back to Radium for that, I don't know yet.

Ah, that makes sense. I would confirm that though.

Ya, I have a bunch of Radium stuff. It's all very nice, but not cheap. The one in the link only needs a .6" hole so that is nice also.

I got my Radium bulkhead fitting today, woohoo! Some progress at least. I drilled the hole with a step bit, then ground it to the final size with my Dremel and a grinding stone. 0.6" is what you need, the smallest footprint I found for theses types of fittings. The underside of the sending unit needs some trimming to fit it. And yes, the locking ring for the sending unit still fits past the upper lock nut.

The fitting itself is pretty nice, it has a locking nut, o ring seal, and the plug fits my Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump perfectly. Even though it not advertised for that. It is not TB friendly at about $140, but I haven't found a better alternative.

Very excited I made some progress, lame I know, but still moving forward.

u9ck0ipl.jpg

NjEN99Yl.jpg

ZXgH6u6l.jpg

qk9Yg87l.jpg

LpIInyil.jpg

I had planned on running -8 hose from the tank to the surge tank in the front, and it worked out to about $300 for enough hose and 4 ends. Before everyone used the events of the past year for an excuse to jack prices and lead times to the sky. Since I have done a lot of work with Fragola parts, I am going to continue with them.

Instead of hose back to front, I am going to use their aluminum tube and fittings to get to the front, and finish it with nylon braided hose. With these changes the savings are....$5 from the original plan haha. But the original plan would now be a lot closer to $400. The only worry is attaching solid lines to the tank, probably will put flex lines there also.

Another mini update. While thinking about a way to attach the fuel pump, since this is TB, zip ties come to mind first. I found broken rotted zip ties in the bottom of fuel tanks before, so that was not an option. I tried a couple hose clamps but they weren't going to take the proper shape. McMaster Carr to the rescue again with some stainless strap type hose clamps. Not the easiest thing to tighten but it wasn't bad.

I'm pretty sure I don't need the original pump wires for anything (the black and yellow ones with the copper coils), so I chopped that out, leaving a little wire to splice to in case I actually do need them for something.

Strap dealies
PTfaakxl.jpg

ucS7Sizl.jpg

Spacer is a part cut off of a Deatschwerks DW200 install kit
PskFWOCl.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while since I have done anything, need parts but stuff keeps coming up. Life happens I guess. One of the things that happened for the better is I have a new garage manager. My last one, B, passed away last year, very sudden sickness and she was gone. RIP B, we miss you.

No project content here, just documenting stuff like I do sometimes. My project thread, I can get off topic if I want to lol. Although it does explain why I didn't buy any parts this month, new dogs are expensive in the first month.

So Milo is my new buddy, I adopted him last month. Unfortunately he does not fit in a 242. I gotta figure that out still. He's a 95lb lab/pit bull, 10 years old. Coach potato and tennis ball enthusiast, very sweet dog. He has hip problems due to his size and age, so getting in and out of cars is a challenge. He was very overweight but is now close to a good weight.

1st day
2Y27XnEl.jpg

Disapproving of leaning a house door on my car, it's padded with a blanket though
4A4FUSOl.jpg

Please don't shoot me jacket on, we walked a bit too far and he just sat down on the Pagoda steps.
2J0vq24l.jpg

He heard the waterfall and found the path to it down a really steep path.
dLMrbEWl.jpg

Car content coming soon haha

Back to the car. After a huge investment in Fragola, I have enough stuff to finish all the fuel system. Probably. Most likely.

Also got a Strange nodular third member housing for the 9". I kind of randomly picked 35 spline axle fitment when I ordered the True Trac, not really knowing what would be good. The result of this is that the bearing carriers in the OEM housing weren't large enough, they need to be 3 1/4". Got the bearings and Summit Daytona style pinion support as well.

I helped my neighbor out by introducing him to someone who could set up his 8.8 rear for his Factory 5 Cobra he is building. We had to remove a huge gun safe from his truck first. He was so happy he offered to trailer my car back to my house so I can actually work on it. The guy is taking forever setting up the rear, my neighbor said he has to pick it up before we can get my car home. Well played sir :grrr:

1FhmBMBl.jpg

Congrats on Milo! He looks cool. We adopted a Dogo Argentino last year who was 7.5 when we got her. She is 82lb of goodness and has helped make life a lot more pleasant around here.

Thanks! Congrats on your adoption as well, those are cool dogs. I really needed a dog back in my life, and he is doing well.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. Parts I paid for a long ass time ago, labor I paid for a long ass time ago, hope they come through soon.

In the meantime, I got a set of rally headlight guards. I wanted them to fit inside of the SS trim ring, which ended up being a bit harder than I originally thought, but figured it out finally haha. Had to chop up my Cibie H4's which caused a bit of stress since they are now discontinued. I ordered an extra NOS set just in case. But it turned out pretty well after a few hours of trimming and grinding. Thanks to blackvlv (mrvolvo75 here) for the extra headlight housing for fitment!

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

6wmALRNl.jpg

ZeFL6icl.jpg

Back