• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Modern Hubs and Brakes on Volvo 122?

Hey all. Read on another thread on here that there is a way to swap modern Volvo brakes onto the front spindles of a 122? Something about some P1800 bearings or hubs makes it possible to run V70 rotors? Obviously a custom bracket would need to be made to attach different calipers. Just wondering if this is truly feasible or just hearsay. Id love to fab up some custom control arms and be able to run S60R/V70R front brakes with modern Volvo wheels with a 240 rear axle.

If you separate some 1800E/ES hubs/rotors and swap the studs for some with a shorter knurled section then, yes, you can run a v70 rotor on the front with whatever caliper you want to adapt.

My dad converted his 69 122 to 1800 rear disk brake from and 1800. He converted the front hub's/spindles/brakes to match (bolt pattern changed to 5*108). It all bolted in a late 122 chassis. I have a set of hubs/spindles and a rear end from an 1800 to do one more car in the future. He did it mainly because he wanted disks in the back.

Jordan

1800E has the correct width and is the one to use, but getting hard to find. Yes, have heard the 240 is wider; anyone know exactly how much wider it is than a 122/1800 axle?

Even if the 240 axle is too wide, I will be running 49mm offset 7.5in volvo factory wheels. Im running 0 offset 7 in wheels that fit fine, so the 240 axle would have to be a lot wider to cause any problems

What are you trying to accomplish, other than brake bling? 122 brakes work just fine if in good shape and well maintained.

Im running a vac booster on my stock Volvo brakes at the moment. I want to clear space in the engine bay for a supercharger build in the future, so Id like to remove the booster but still have really good brakes (as in, a lot better than stock)

1800E has the correct width and is the one to use, but getting hard to find. Yes, have heard the 240 is wider; anyone know exactly how much wider it is than a 122/1800 axle?

The greenbooks show the 1800E rear track width is 1310mm and the 240 is either 1350mm or 1360mm depending on where you look.

The greenbooks show the 1800E rear track width is 1310mm and the 240 is either 1350mm or 1360mm depending on where you look.

hiperfauto: Thanks for the info. So converted to inch size the 240 axle is approximately 1.5" to 2.0" wider than the earlier axles.

Last edited:
I've found following widths for Volvo rear axle. From flange to flange.

-Volvo 140 1416mm
-Volvo 240 1383mm
-Volvo 1800 E/ES 1253 mm

In front 140 front hubs can be fitted, but a adapter sleeve for inner bearing is needed. Then 240 vented disk can be fitted.

240 brakes provide ample amount of stopping power for 122, which is about 30% lighter.

Back