• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B8444 V8 performance action out there?

I poke around looking at pricing on these motors a couple times a year maybe. :rofl:

They're still all $4000-$6000 so it's hard to justify still for me at least...

Twin turbo 32v FTW though!

BTW why do you guys obsess over transmission adapters as like, the main hurdle of all engine swaps?

The yamha engine is nice and could be constrewed as a volvo engine, just as much as prv anyways. Very not cheap though.

If your really itching for 8 holes and 32 valves I'd suggest a toyota lexus 1uzfe or 2uz. They are amazing engines that take well to boost and are caplable of exceeding 300,000 miles at stock spec. Plus I have seen suitable donor cars in the 2000-3000 dollar range compared to 4000ish for a b8444 longblock. What sounds better... volvaha or Vo-Lex? Jk that last question was irrelavent.

Thats what you should do if you bastardize a volvo.

The yamha engine is nice and could be constrewed as a volvo engine, just as much as prv anyways. Very not cheap though.

If your really itching for 8 holes and 32 valves I'd suggest a toyota lexus 1uzfe or 2uz. They are amazing engines that take well to boost and are caplable of exceeding 300,000 miles at stock spec. Plus I have seen suitable donor cars in the 2000-3000 dollar range compared to 4000ish for a b8444 longblock.

I like the 60? V of the Volvo over the typical 90? V of most all other V8's, Toyota/Lexus included...that being said, if someone wanted to give me a perfect Toyota/Lexas V8 motor it could find it's way into the car :)

I wish it was a 90* V8..it would have a lower COG for motorsports...but beggars cannot be choosers. I have heard some folks wanting to build a Daytona Prototype with one, but not sure they can get the COG low enough to be competitive.

A lot of the racing classes that many of us build our cars with at least the idea of fooling around in require the engine be of the same manufacturer.

Otherwise I'd consider a Honda motor. Lighter cheaper more power.

Jon,

Although the swap will require lots of mods either way of course, I can only help but think that given that any dohc V motor is wide to begin with, the 60 degree motor will be a little narrower overall, which is a good thing IMO especially if turbos get involved. Just an extra inch per side simplifies a lot of the fabrication immensely.

Whoa, that bellhousing looks interesting.

it's like the V8 belhousing and some inexplicable section of a aw3040 bellhousing then a flat adpter and then a inch thick steel laser cut adapter. whyyyyyy

edit:// ohhhh. Someone had a full adapter solution to bolt a supra trans onto a whiteblock. so they just machined the front of that bell off until its the right length. I guess that works.

What is the deal with that engine. I find some things that say it was sort of designed by Volvo and had nothing to do with the SHO V8 and other statements that is was a direct descendent of the SHO engine. Anyone know the real story?

yeah, they are different motors. they may share some design characteristics but only because of the fact they were made by the same company, not because they are based off one another.

i tell you what i did with one... i sold it.

A few local volvo techs have told me that these motors are nothing but trouble. Decent when they are new, but not very reliable. If this is true, I cant imagine choosing this block over an LS or ford V8 when you are paying 2-3 times as much for it.

I was speaking with someone a while ago about these blocks. If you wanted a transmission that'd bolt up to the block then look to the Ford Ranger with a V6. Apparently they have the same bolt pattern.

What year I'm not certain of, but it's a good place to look.

If I were to do a 32v V8, I'd go with a 1UZ or a 3UZ.

Back