• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The DADMOBILE- 91 244+t

turbotankshane

Bought this 240 from midnightsaint a few weeks ago.

It's a 91, he swapped most of the turbo components out of an 87 700. It got injectors from an 04 xc90 t5. And stock factory exhaust with a downpipe welded on. Overall, drove well, and being new to the 240 world I kinda fell in love with the car.
It has c4 salad shooters, but not staggered front and rear, I measured and all four wheels are 9.5" wide. So I'm somewhat interested to know what corvette they came from...
It ran just OK when I got it, but I attributed a lot of that to the 12b. Got to looking around and found a 007 MAF plugged in, presumably from the 87, being lh2.2. Swapped it with a 016 MAF I had sitting around and made a noticeable improvement.
However, after getting the right MAF in, she didn't want any boost over 4psi. Thought I might get a difference from getting my chipped 937 lh box and my chipped EZK box plugged in. Got a little improvement but not much. Did some research, and figured that the injectors were run at roughly 55-60psi fuel pressure on the xc90, so I threw my 4bar FPR in, and voila, she runs not just ok anymore, but GREAT. Throttle response in this car is massively better than my 745t.
So I got my wideband swapped over, and had a local shop put a 3" exhaust on it from the turbo back.
I'm very happy with her so far. Had to sort out an issue with the coolant temp gauge being rather erratic but that's taken care of. Had an issue with the radio fuse blowing, but soldered and heat-shrunk some connections that had wirenuts holding them together and haven't had it blow since.
I still need to sort out the tire rub. I think new shocks and upgrading the sways will take care of it for the most part. Some tires with a lower aspect ratio might do the trick as well.
The only thing I'm not sure about here is this

It's defnitely not causing oil to build up in the turbo from not draining, and not leaking. Just doesn't really seem ideal. What does TB think?

For something that is not easily seen. Looks are not that big of a deal. At the least (If it was mine) I would clean off the oil and crud, mask off the fittings, and respray the oil pan.

FWIW/IMHO sooner or later the JB weld is gonna crack/separate from the oil pan due to expansion and contration of oil pan due to heat.

It's just a matter of *time*. Might be 2 weeks,might be 2 years or 5 years...but when it lets go..could cause one or more several bad things to happen...such as oil on tires or hot exhaust. And oil fires are not easy to extinguish.

Why take th chance? Weld a bung on the oil pan and use proper fittings or drill & tap the block's boss that Volvo used.

Otherwise....nice +T 240 man!

I like what smokey said. I rig things all the time to get me by on my dailies until I can afford to actually fix stuff, but I never forget about it or call it good from there. It doesn't look like there's a fitting there already, but you can get one from ebay for a dollar or something an have a welder poop it on there for you. That would give me a much better piece of mind.

I'm not too worried about the hose clamp because there shouldn't be much pressure there.

Last edited:
I like what smokey said. I rig things all the time to get me by on my dailies until I can afford to actually fix stuff, but I never forget about it and call it good from there. It doesn't look like there's a fitting there already, but you can get one from ebay for a dollar or something an have a welder poop it on there for you. That would give me a much better piece of mind.

I'm not too worried about the hose clamp because there shouldn't be much pressure there.

How hot is the oil returning to the oil pan? (I have'nt ever checked to see as don't own a turbo volvo) But my point is if it's hotter than normal Oil temps, it may shorten the life of the hose.

I think a true SS braided, Teflon lined aircraft quality hose would be much longer lived?

It's not actually JB weld, sorry. The grey goop is just that, grey goop sealer of some kind around the edges of the threads going into the pan. I'm very leery of anything jb welded, but sealer is just insurance, right? I'm not worried about that fitting coming loose or leaking, I was more worried about it's draining ability since it makes a turn upwards going into the pan, counteracting the effects of gravity, which is all that turbo has to aid in its draining of said oils.

And the c4 vette wheels are for sale. I didn't really like the way the car was handling with them, not to mention rubbing in the rear, so she got some good ole volvo wheels, 'cept they're painted. And they had a good set of matching tires all the way around, as opposed to the vette wheels which did not.
Buffed the paint up, painted the trim and anything else that wasn't either black or white, except the mirrors. And aligned her yesterday. It's amazing how far off the steering feel can be when the toe is so far out. Shots courtesy of my buddy at a car meet. And I know, there are no center caps. One of the wheels is damaged in the middle and the center cap won't snap in, so I'd rather go no center caps than three center caps and one missing.

Many thanks! I spent too much time on her with a buffer. And compound got all over the gray trim, so I painted it black. I found a few swirls so I went at it again with the buffer and finishing compound and got the swirls out. But then I'll see her in another light and find more swirls... it's a neverending battle.

I have a very similar project in the works. '88 244 DL, same color, which I plan to +T when the bank account can support it. I'll probably start a new thread in the coming month. Can't wait to see how yours works out!

Many thanks! I spent too much time on her with a buffer. And compound got all over the gray trim, so I painted it black. I found a few swirls so I went at it again with the buffer and finishing compound and got the swirls out. But then I'll see her in another light and find more swirls... it's a neverending battle.

Haha, chasing a ghost, which I had a buffer and new how to use it. Which i had an extra $500 for a good one, my black 245 could use a good buff.

Been a while since I updated this, lots has been done. Finished a good stage 0. Went through a 3 bar and 4 bar FPR before I ended up with a good 3 bar. Swapped my ipd cam in. Attempted to clean the bay up. Redid intake tubing and put a new filter on. Swapped PCV tubing out for factory b230ft PCV setup. Installed e fan with factory relay from 92 745t. Installed ostrich and tuned, still on TLAO EZK chip for now. Swapped g80 and aw71. Bypassed coolant temp voltage stabilizer. I'm sure I've forgotten a few bits I've done, but she runs like a top. Moar pics soon

Back