• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

Thanks for the suspension feedback. Mine is going to be a weekend toy/autox-er as well, so I can deal with stiffer suspension as long as it dampened well and isn't really harsh or crashing. Where did you get the Carrera's from, if you don't mind me asking?

Bummer about the gauges, but it sounds like you've got it figure out.

Thanks!

interested in why you have gone for a single carb...

I wouldn't say that I regret it at all since it was really easy to learn to tune the Weber and it has been completely reliable. Obviously the purist in me wishes I kept the original SUs but they were super worn out. If I had to do it all over again I would have tried to rebuild them a little before abandoning them but I don't think I could have ever had the engine running as well as it is with the Weber.

With the smaller steering wheel and the GT cluster, you won't be able to see the freeway-speed side of the speedo. I have a Racemark that looks a bit bigger than your wheel, so I've just had to deal with it. It will also cut off a bit of the tach, but you can always rotate it for a better view (you can't do that with the speedo).

Also, it's too late for the panhard bar, but tbricker crandandall can turn around well-made adjustable suspension parts at very reasonable rates. He did both my panhard and torque rods, also pressing in new poly bushings, and I'm very happy with the results. Let me know if you need my old torque rods if you ever decide to lower the rear more and need adjustability; I'm happy to pay them forward for the price of shipping (or meet up with you at Davis, if it happens this year).

Keith was telling me about that as well. I hope Davis happens so I can see your setup in person. Thats very generous about your old torque rods, I really appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the suspension feedback. Mine is going to be a weekend toy/autox-er as well, so I can deal with stiffer suspension as long as it dampened well and isn't really harsh or crashing. Where did you get the Carrera's from, if you don't mind me asking?

Bummer about the gauges, but it sounds like you've got it figure out.

Thanks!

The Carreras are from ebay. Honestly I think at some point soon I will just swap them for KYBs.

After looking at Tony's photos from WM, I had to take some polish to under the rear bumper and clean up those rust stains from the bumper brackets. Looks a little better now but I really need to take the bumper off and clean and paint the brackets.

God I wish I could have found this car a few years earlier, before it sat outside in the sea breeze...

The extremely talented Tony Bird offered to take some photos of my car at WM7.0:

He did such a nice job making the car look incredible.

Attachments

• 12792198_986283623950_7766171774982210211_o.jpg
    12792198_986283623950_7766171774982210211_o.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 12792196_986283943310_4103423988383803599_o.jpg
    12792196_986283943310_4103423988383803599_o.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 217
I like the original speedo a lot but it doesn't leave any room for a tach in the dash. My original cluster had a bad dimmer switch so it didn't alway light up or stay lit so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Hopefully I can get used to the KPH speedo but if you've been using them since '98 it can't be too hard of an adjustment. 62MPH =100KPH

Man, that looks great. I was going to send mine to Roger months ago but haven't gotten around to it. Did you go with warm white LED's? Are they anywhere near as warm as normal bulbs?

Yeah these are the warm LEDs. That photo was with the dimmer turned all the way down. They get super bright but still somewhat match the rest of the interior. I'm very happy with the lighting.

I wanted to keep the 85 hvac system, all the controls stayed in the center panel leaving me a lot of space for outlets, gauges, etc

http://a67.tinypic.com/2chmkbo.jpg

I like the original speedo a lot but it doesn't leave any room for a tach in the dash. My original cluster had a bad dimmer switch so it didn't alway light up or stay lit so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Hopefully I can get used to the KPH speedo but if you've been using them since '98 it can't be too hard of an adjustment. 62MPH =100KPH

Yeah these are the warm LEDs. That photo was with the dimmer turned all the way down. They get super bright but still somewhat match the rest of the interior. I'm very happy with the lighting.

Nice. In the photos I've seen, it looks like you can see the individual LED's in the reflections on the chrome bezels. Is that annoying?

Any idea how much these would be? If they are reasonable, I'd be in. :D

-Ben

+1

Nice. In the photos I've seen, it looks like you can see the individual LED's in the reflections on the chrome bezels. Is that annoying?

I haven't driven with it since I was still sorting some of the wiring and replacing the rest of the bulbs in the dash (HVAC and clock). I got it all buttoned up a few minutes ago and took a few more photos in different light conditions for you:

Full bright on the dimmer, garage lit up

Darkest setting on dimmer, garage lights off:

The Iphone isnt doing it justice, the LEDs look awesome and arent as bright or as white as this photo suggests.

Overall I am very excited about how the interior of the car is coming together:

Just need to get the blue seats redone and it will be perfect!

Took Buttercup on a drive to the Mullin Automotive Museum yesterday so the new cluster has over 100 miles on it now!

today I decided to tackle the clock that has been broken since I bought it. I figured there couldn't be much to it so I popped the seal off the back and took a look at the inside. This was clearly disconnected:

I reflowed the solder to it and got it connected again. It doesn't seem to be working so I will try to dig a little deeper. If I can't fix it myself I just won't have a working clock. I'm not spending $100 for one on EBay.

Back