• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

introduction and help to find my way

mike.l

Hi i have read a lot on this forum and know that you guys are very knowledgable on volvo transmissions, and i am out of my depth . I have a MG TD which is going to have a volvo B20 engine I am now in the process of trying to find a automatic transmission to go behind the engine. Looking for either a AW 70 or 71 i understand i have to make a adaptor plate to stand the transmission upright behind the engine that is all taken care of. Question i have is i can only find transmissions from fuel injected cars and they all have a position sensor on the flex plate does this mean that i cannot control the transmission only by electronic's i am hoping to couple it to the twin carbs just like the old 35 transmissions were . I know its a very long post but i need info before i commit to buying , also would a AW70 transmission be a good bet or should i look for a 71 i have lots more to ask but will stop there

AW70/71 are not electronically controlled, you don't need any additional wiring outside of the OD solenoid. That flywheel sensor is for the ECU/EZK, if your running carbs it's not necessary.

You can buy an adapter to rotate the transmission. It requires the bell housing to be machined down by the thickness of the adapter.

http://www.hukebasart.nl/huke/?Koppelingshuizen

AW70 and 71 transmissions are not computer controlled. The sensor you're seeing is for the ignition. If you plan on using a cable driven speedometer you'll need an earlier transmission. AW70s are used behind naturally aspirated engines while AW71s are for turbos. They're essentially the same save for some extra clutches and revised shift points.

Hi Thanks as its a total manual automatic i can just disregard the sensor thats great to know now i have read a lot of negative on the AW70 but in a less stressfull inviorment will it be a good transmission because otherwise i get into the next problem of lockup torque converter etc which i do not thing i need very helpfull replies and i think i will be back with more questions on adjustment of the kick down etc thanks Mike The adaptor plate is already on the drawing board ready to machine out when i get that far Mike

If you want to run a manual trans you can use the Volvo M40 or M41 with overdrive. No adapter plate needed and it'll be more fun shifting gears. The MG already has a hydraulic clutch setup which is what those volvo transmissions use.

Hi brought this up to the front i have now got my transmission home its a gear driven spedo and all seems fine !!!!!!! But the flex plate is 8 bolt and crank is 6 bolt is this going to be near impossiable to find anything other that will fit or do i hve to machine the centre and make a 6 bolt to fit my crank your input please In reply to go manual i have the m41 set up with hyd clutch but i want to go automatic not much room down the front to put 3 pedals would be better with only 2 also there are lots of volvo MG conversions but very few have gone down the automatic path so Mike

There are 6 and 8 bolt b20 crankshafts, earlier models being 6 bolt. My assumption is you'll have to find a 6 bolt b20 flex plate, but I don't know off hand if the AW70 torque converter bolts up.

Hi so i guess they are available its a shame that you are the other end of the world to me i will start a search for one near home thanks mike

Best bet is going to be an AW71 from a Turbo car for the swap. Sorry that is not what i want small b20 engine natural asperated the 70 will be a lot kinder to it treated correctly a 1000 lb car with driver will be no load for it Mike

Back