• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Trans fluid flow path

N97746

Am about to plumb in a trans cooler in my +T. Can anybody give me the proper flow direction from the tranny through the rad and cooler then back to the trans. Want to be sure before I start bending pipes. Thanks

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/AW7xFlowPath.jpg
AW7xFlowPath.jpg

Thanks, That confirms that the forward line from the tranny is the outflow. I was unsure if the fluid should route to the air cooler first and then back through the radiator cooler then to trans, or the other way around. I've seen diagrams of it both ways. Some sites even recommend bypassing the radiator cooler completely when using an air cooler.

AFAIK, the tranny fluid needs to be at a certain temperature range, so the radiator does the job of warming it up but then keeping it at a given temperature. If using an external tranny cooler, I wonder if you would be happier with adding it after the radiator but then with a thermostat so it can be bypassed until it is too hot.

That's sort of the direction I was going to go with. Trans to cooler, back to radiator then returning to trans. But I have seen the opposite done on other sites.
I was hoping someone with a stock 7/9 turbo would chime in to see how Volvo did it on the stock cars.

Dalek, Thanks for taking the time to look that up. If I'm reading it right seems that the fluid goes first to the radiator then to the cooler before returning. Funny, I thought it might be the other way around so that the tranny would have more of a constant temp fluid being returned. Guess Volvo knows best.

Back