• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 240 broken ignition cylinder piece

I might give that a shot, the end with the lock is 4.5 inches long from the face of the lock to the end of the switch mounting hole on the back without a switch. Do you know if they made it longer in 81 with the new dash or if it stayed the same length? That?s the only issue I could possibly see

It is clear to me now, there is a different lock waiting for me to experience what you have in your '80 on my '79. My collection of lock parts dates from '83, so I guess the change probably happened with the '81 MY. No plastic in my collection, and length is about 5.32".

lock2250.jpg

At this point I think the early locks may have used a plastic peg and then in 81 they updated it to an alloy one for this exact reason, I guess I’ll have to post a wanted thread and continue the hunt.

The measurement I *think* I need is from the face cap of the lock to the mounting collar fasteners etc?

I have a 78-80 bits to look at & will measure/ take a pic if I can figure out to host it?

The late lock will probably function *at all*, but I remember the early lock was recessed too far when I swapped a late ‘81+ dash into a -‘80 car w/earlier column & lock assembly so it might not look right w/an ‘81-‘85 assembly installed in the -‘80 car w/original ‘75-‘80 dashboard, if that makes sense?

Last edited:
Yes from the face to the mounting holes on the rear. You can upload the pictures to imgur.com/upload for free and just post the link

The '80 assembly is 4.5 inches from the face of the lock to the edge of the mounting holes for the ignition switch, a hair under 5 3/4 inches from the face to the back of the ignition switch center plastic post with it mounted to the back. Cleanflametrap's appears to be over 5 inches from the lock face to the rear mounting holes. Appears the lock would sit about a half inch too far out but honestly wouldn't be the end of the world as long as the lock cylinder swaps between them which I assume would.

I find it odd that this ebay listing has the same part number but seller states its out of a 262c, it's a picture so it's hard to be 100% sure but it appears longer than my lock assembly.

Last edited:
I know the ‘81-‘85 will ‘work’ w/‘78-‘80 keys/dash. Doesn’t seem to be a major safety & runability concern.
Just protrudes maybe 3/8” out too far/doesn’t quite look right IIRC …I forget if the ‘81+ steering column trim/cover fits the ‘-80 dash?

As it’s not so much that the dash support/dash itself is the issue as the column/turn signal, wiper switch & horn contact wiper pot metal housing /column cover plastic trim & how that lines up might be more the issue I suspect?

Idk about the locations/fit of the column cover & if it can be interchanged between ‘75-‘80 dash & ‘81+ non-SRS dash…

Last edited:
You just have to change the column trim piece to match the longer lock assembly.

This seems to be the solution as a matter of fact, just compared the shells. Top piece is identical between my 80 and 84, bottom half is different, the later lower half shell has a large cover to hide the screw on the left side and the screw hole on the right side is much shallower with a longer protrusion for the lock. I will pull the shell off my 84 tomorrow to be 100% sure it swaps directly into my 80. If it does then I will just get a 81+ lock with the metal peg and find a later shell.

Back