• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adjust Head Rest Up/Seat Swap?

OldCarNewTricks

I have later 240 seats in my 242, and I was wondering if the head rests can be adjusted upward at all? The issue is that I am 6'6" and I have a long torso. The top of the head rest hits where the base of my skull meets my neck. I'm pretty sure that would be really bad in the event of being rear ended.

So, I am either wanting to get some amount of adjustment or I'm going to be looking at different seats for the car. I was thinking 05 up Mustang seats, simply because I know they fit me, and I've swapped 2013 convertible seats into a Ford Ranger I used to have. If anyone has any seat suggestions, I am open to suggestions!

No, you can unclip them and slide them up and down in the tubes but once they're all the way in they're locked in place. Also head rests aren't meant to rest your head it's to keep you from getting whiplash or snapping your neck from getting rear ended

No, you can unclip them and slide them up and down in the tubes but once they're all the way in they're locked in place. Also head rests aren't meant to rest your head it's to keep you from getting whiplash or snapping your neck from getting rear ended

Yes, that's what I mean. With where the head rest is positioned on me, the outcome of a crash would not be good

Early headrests are taller but have a different spacing so you would need early seat backs. I have an early seat back I can measure with the headrest still on. Might have 2 good ones if you wanna switch.

Or these if you can convince him to ship.

Early headrests are taller but have a different spacing so you would need early seat backs. I have an early seat back I can measure with the headrest still on. Might have 2 good ones if you wanna switch.

Or these if you can convince him to ship.

I would appreciate a measurement! I am a bit sad that the P/O swapped out the 242 seats. The lean forward function is nice, as it means I can actually use the rear seat for my school and work documents.

:nod:

Spacing is different early // late 240 seats as well so the headrests don't swap.

To wit:

140 headrests were height adjustable but 240 headrests not really.

I've heard the back portion of the late seats are more comfortable for tall individuals. So it's just too bad that they can't be combined.

Wish they would have kept on with the adjustable design.

Early seat back is roughly 33 inches with headrest, early headrests also don't curve like the later ones and are flat across the front, probably catch your head better. I’m a short guy but I always thought early seats backs were much more comfortable than late seat backs, early ones have a much more curved shape to them and seem to hold you better in turns

Early seat back is roughly 33 inches with headrest, early headrests also don't curve like the later ones and are flat across the front, probably catch your head better. I?m a short guy but I always thought early seats backs were much more comfortable than late seat backs, early ones have a much more curved shape to them and seem to hold you better in turns

Thank you for measuring that. I measured my seat back from the base of the cushion to the top, and it measures about 31.75".

The golf GTIs also have some nice recaros, seen someone on here use them and they also fold forward

I found the post I saw previous to this post. 05-09 Stang seat in a 242.
edJEnzkl.jpeg

Looks pretty good. From the OP mark13: "I just put in late model 2005-2009 I think cloth Mustang GT seats in my 84 242 (well drivers only right now) The seat rails are the same distance apart. I just drilled a new hole in the front of the GT rails as they were a little off and welded the "L" bracket from the rear of an old seat (not the original ) on the GT rail. I don't have pictures of the setup as the booger welding is really embarrassing but strong. 100 bucks on Craigslist for the pair."

Back