• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B8444 V8 performance action out there?

All this uz talk is poor dreaming. They are an old motor that really doesn't make power like people wish. Ls motors are $20,000 by the time they make 500whp, and Ford blocks split all the time. 2jz is the motor to swap if you want power and reliability.

I was speaking with someone a while ago about these blocks. If you wanted a transmission that'd bolt up to the block then look to the Ford Ranger with a V6. Apparently they have the same bolt pattern.

What year I'm not certain of, but it's a good place to look.

If I were to do a 32v V8, I'd go with a 1UZ or a 3UZ.

3UR! UZ are **** compared to the UR.

And yes the 2JZ is a phenominal motor in terms of reliability and performance, but its been swapped into every car imaginable, and some people have a desire to be unique, just like everybody else.

some people have a desire to be unique, just like everybody else.
:rofl:

So far we haven't had too many problems with them aside from a couple alternators and one timing cover. I have heard of a couple that had the whatever bearing(not lubricated, rusts out) on 2005s that required repair. There have been a couple instances of needing valve bodies/torque converters replaced that I've heard of as well, but not experienced at our shop yet.

Matt, how many of those valve bodies/torque converters/bearing issues have you seen?

Ls motors are $20,000 by the time they make 500whp

only if you pay someone else to do all the work. i had a 360whp/465wtq ford v8 in a volvo that i put together for $900. i didn't go further because you're right, the blocks do split. i think i could piece together a 500whp LSx with a $5000 budget. the key is spending the money in the right places, saving it in others and doing all the work yourself.

Get 6.0/6.2 truck motor at junkyard for 1000-1500 bucks. Add cam. Make 500 RWHP. Profit.

Get 5.3 truck motor at junkyard for 300 bucks. Add Holset for 200 bucks, injectors for 200 bucks, and universal chinese intercooler for 100 bucks. Make 500 RWHP. Profit.

Get 4.8 motor at junkyard for like 100 bucks (or free). Add Chinese ebay twin turbo kit for 1000 bucks. Do a cam and fast intake for a couple grand. File rings for free. Make 1200 HP. Write article in popular hotrodding. Profit.

The Volvo/Yamaha V8's out of the xc90s are unreliable. We have done about 10 front covers from the bearings locking up an spinning on them. Also the balance shaft will seize and half the time take out the block, other half you have to replace the cover, balance shaft, bearings for the shaft, and a load of other crap. Not to mention that Volvo does not make the motor at all (according to the tech rep) and once they are out at the wear house they are out.

they aren't bad except for the balance shaft thing. we've probably done 3 or 4 but it's always a person that power washes their engine frequently getting a locked up bearing.

i have a soft spot for an '07 s80 v8 awd, i would love one.

i wish you could eliminate the balance shaft all together. it can't be that rough without it, balance shafts are stupid and designed to satisfy whiny bitchy people.

anyway, i've been a volvo tech for a number of years and i know what you mean about the issues there.

i wish you could eliminate the balance shaft all together. it can't be that rough without it, balance shafts are stupid and designed to satisfy whiny bitchy people.

anyway, i've been a volvo tech for a number of years and i know what you mean about the issues there.

Remove the shaft, and mount an idler pully in its place, still keep the same timing belt. Besides V-8's are pretty decently balanced as it is. Maybe the 60* angle exacerbates things who knows.

i have a soft spot for an '07 s80 v8 awd, i would love one.
Pete's may be for sale within the next year or so... He replaced the rear diff and DEM recently with a slightly used one(his car has 80k, I think the replacement had 24k on it?).

26929_662306480538_2658241_n.jpg

I can't tell if that picture is from before or after it was lowered...

Maybe the 60* angle exacerbates things who knows.

Ya think? The whole point of the SHO and Volvo engines is that you make an inherently unbalanced engine and then balance it with a shaft in the name of packaging. Removing the shaft is kind of a big deal. Would it blow up instantly? Naw. Could it lead to issues? I wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited:
except it doesn't have a timing belt.
Chain whatever. It is still possible to remove it if you so desire. Reuse the sprocket and mount it on a bearing in the same location. Probably not worth the trouble, but it is an option.

Yea I think the later engines in the S80's are a "better batch" or something. Haven't looked into if the two pulleys are different that lock up and spin on the front cover. Also don't seem to have the issue of the balance shaft spinning. Not to mention what Noble did with the engine is Amazing. Bit yes the S80 V8's are sweet.

Get 6.0/6.2 truck motor at junkyard for 1000-1500 bucks. Add cam. Make 500 RWHP. Profit.

Get 5.3 truck motor at junkyard for 300 bucks. Add Holset for 200 bucks, injectors for 200 bucks, and universal chinese intercooler for 100 bucks. Make 500 RWHP. Profit.

Get 4.8 motor at junkyard for like 100 bucks (or free). Add Chinese ebay twin turbo kit for 1000 bucks. Do a cam and fast intake for a couple grand. File rings for free. Make 1200 HP. Write article in popular hotrodding. Profit.

Maybe in the states. To buy an LS1 here (as the only car that sold here in mass numbers was the Commodore with an LS1 then 6.0 and ls2 and 427 in a very rare model) costs you over $3k with auto usually, more with a t56 on the back of it, and they will have high km's on them....

But they do make good power easily, but not quite the dream numbers you're coming up with (though you do mean american HP which is 100hp more then everyone else uses)

Ya think? The whole point of the SHO and Volvo engines is that you make an inherently unbalanced engine and then balance it with a shaft in the name of packaging. Removing the shaft is kind of a big deal. Would it blow up instantly? Naw. Could it lead to issues? I wouldn't bet against it.

I was under the impression the counter shaft was there to smooth the inherent odd-firing imbalance, not the momentum imbalance introduced by the 60 degree bank - iirc that imbalance is managed by the offset crank pins (like the prv, but in reverse).

Is this not the case? If so, how could the counter shaft possibly affect bearing loads at the crank?

heh ... oops, old thread - sorry :)

3UR! UZ are **** compared to the UR.

And yes the 2JZ is a phenominal motor in terms of reliability and performance, but its been swapped into every car imaginable, and some people have a desire to be unique, just like everybody else.

Meh, like I'm going to do that anyway.

IF I do V8, it'll just be a Ford 5.0 with GT40 heads and a AOD.

Done and done.

IF I had the money and time, I'd do the B8444 or a Toyota V8, but it's likely never going to happen.

Back