• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Poik's ported 530

Poik

Backwards Turbo
300+ Club
So in preparation for the 1993 B230F that is going into my 744 to replace the tired K-block with a frozen turbo, I spent about 8-9 hours porting the 530 head that came with the engine. I gasket matched the intake, smoothed everything and worked the bowls pretty good. On the exhaust I did a decent amount of bowl work and took a bit of material off the roof. I also polished the exhaust ports. In the combustion chambers I smoothed out the pad next to the exhaust valve, slightly unshrouded the valves, and sanded and polished the whole thing.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

More pictures here: www.eric-o.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4571

Tell me what you think!

emthup.gif
emthup.gif

Bigger exhaust valves??? Either way, awesome porting job, seems people go a bit crazy and take way too much out. How much are you porting the 90+??

geeze, I could use your services to port a head or 2 for me...Whatever you'd charge would be cheaper then paying a machine shop to do that...

Stock valves. I haven't ported the 90+ yet, hopefully tomorrow, but as much as I can get away with, it's going to take a lot longer than aluminum! Yes this was the first time porting a head for me, I wanted to get some good practice in before I do up my 16v. Thanks for the compliments!

OH! And a BIG thanks to John (The Aspirator) for the air compressor! Works a **** ton better than my other one!

Nope, not enough time, installing the engine this weekend. This was mainly for practice, though I do expect the head flows a significant amount more than stock. When I do my 16v I will have before/after numbers.

Nope, not enough time, installing the engine this weekend. This was mainly for practice, though I do expect the head flows a significant amount more than stock. When I do my 16v I will have before/after numbers.

I was always told it was a no no to port heads with out having them put on a flow bench because if all the ports do not flow evenly then it can cause problems. Thats just what I heard. :???:

I was always told it was a no no to port heads with out having them put on a flow bench because if all the ports do not flow evenly then it can cause problems. Thats just what I heard. :???:

Well then 95% of the fast cars on this board must be ticking timebombs then.

I would check CC volume myself, though.

Well it's a good thing I repeated the same things on each port then. But seriously, when you get your head flowed, they usually just flow cylinder 1 and give you those numbers, not every cylinder. Also, many professional head porters do not use a flow bench.

The stock head has plenty if icky differences in the ports, let alone the manifolds. If you do decent work and pay attention to do the same thing on every hole, I very much doubt that it would be in any way worse than stock.

I just came back from a local pro where I took my partially 531 head for some opinions on what to do about the exhaust side. I was told to round off the short side radius as much as possible even to the point of rounding off some the bottom part of the seat. Sounds scary but this is a well respected shop. They build two cycle bikes and racing snowmobiles. They also have a dyno and a flow bench.

Well it's a good thing I repeated the same things on each port then. But seriously, when you get your head flowed, they usually just flow cylinder 1 and give you those numbers, not every cylinder. Also, many professional head porters do not use a flow bench.

Yeah, that's why I go in small steps in every cylinder and always feel with my fingers the shape of each port after every small step. It is very difficult to make them very different this way. Common sense prevails...

Head looks nice, though I might have done a little more de-shrouding on the exhaust valve. I think you know enough to have your reasons though :)

Back