• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 oil

initialD

can i put this in my M46, ist?s ATF and type F "red fluid"

it?s the onlyone i can find , i put valvuline first and the OD was entering at all gears :(

16042010159.jpg

16042010158.jpg

trying to put this back together tomorow

15042010152x.jpg

14042010151.jpg

Don't put that in, it's the wrong fluid. You should be able to find Type F at most auto parts stores. People also have good luck with Redline MTL.

You can also run regular SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30 engine oil without problems.

Per Volvo glovebox manual:
Manual transmission with overdrive (M46)
Capacity: 2.4 US qts (2.3 liters)
Fluid type: Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F or G(FLM). Engine oil (SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30) is recommended for use in areas where the temperature seldom drops below 14?F (-10?C).
Note! Do not mix ATF and engine oil.
Replace: at 600-1,200 mile (1,000-2,000 km)service only.
The oil level should be up to the filler plug. Drain the oil immediately after driving, while it is still hot, by removing plug.
Transmission and overdrive are lubricated by the same oil. Therefore, when the oil is drained through the drain plug, also remove cover on the overdrive and clean strainer.

there is no problem at all to put engine oil???

real???

so many problems to find the ATF and if i can put engine oil it?s alot easier

Because of the OD unit they do not recommend using motor oil.

"Any" ATF that is NOT Dexron should be OK, so F type or G type ATF is fine.

If you simply cant find any suitable oil, put in synthetic transmission oil, I have a 400+k miles done M46 that is quite tired, and I've for long been planning to test the synthetic oil because the bearings are a bit worn so it could help a bit:e-shrug:

going to start now, and don?t no yet witch on can i put :( damn

Put in the 10w40 motor oil. Of all the lubricants you showed- it's the only one that meets the specs from Volvo. Putting in the wrong fluid can destroy the overdrive clutch!

Volvo give me dextron III form my M46, and i said that it can?t be that

17042010165.jpg

so they show me all the gear oils availlble un portugal:

17042010166.jpg

none is type F or type G !! , i put regular valvuline in, and try to get the normal atf from ebay or something

it looks like new
17042010163.jpg

17042010164.jpg

It has anyway been said, so we cant help you any more?

yes you can ;) i put valvuline, but just for some days till i get the One i need!!!!

i put a bronze/ceramic cluch, don?t want to ruin it it?s almost as expensive as the all wagon :roll:

OK, I'll try to explain what oil is needed and why:nod:. Basically, the 4 first gears ie. the tranny itself could do fine with the (Api) GL-4 75-90 oil, or even motor oil. But the OD unit causes the issues, as it is a planetary gear-type, it has the hydraulic operated clutch(for the fifth gear), which is similar to the ones in automatic transmissions. It "requires" some sort of ATF oil to operate correctly. The problem is, that todays automatic trannies are made so that they slip "controlled" just a bit when it changes gear. To make this work, they make these Dexron xxx ATF, which has some additives that cause that "controlled" slip. But when you put that oil in the manual tranny, it causes your synchro rings to slip, which causes them to wear out in no-time, and then your tranny becomes a Fuller, which most of us dont want:). So basically you need ATF, but cant use Dexron type ATF, which leaves us with a few options: a: Find F-type or G-Type ATF, here it can be found quite easily(old Ford spec oil, dont remember exactly what). Or b: ignore the construction of the OD unit, use synthetic GL-4 transmission oil and engage the OD carefully enough. The 4 first gears should work better with option b, but I still have not tested how the OD works with it so on your own risk.

E: sorry for unclear expressions, writing that kind of text in a foreign language aint that easy. Try to get the idea.

OK, I'll try to explain what oil is needed and why:nod:. Basically, the 4 first gears ie. the tranny itself could do fine with the (Api) GL-4 75-90 oil, or even motor oil. But the OD unit causes the issues, as it is a planetary gear-type, it has the hydraulic operated clutch(for the fifth gear), which is similar to the ones in automatic transmissions. It "requires" some sort of ATF oil to operate correctly. The problem is, that todays automatic trannies are made so that they slip "controlled" just a bit when it changes gear. To make this work, they make these Dexron xxx ATF, which has some additives that cause that "controlled" slip. But when you put that oil in the manual tranny, it causes your synchro rings to slip, which causes them to wear out in no-time, and then your tranny becomes a Fuller, which most of us dont want:). So basically you need ATF, but cant use Dexron type ATF, which leaves us with a few options: a: Find F-type or G-Type ATF, here it can be found quite easily(old Ford spec oil, dont remember exactly what). Or b: ignore the construction of the OD unit, use synthetic GL-4 transmission oil and engage the OD carefully enough. The 4 first gears should work better with option b, but I still have not tested how the OD works with it so on your own risk.

E: sorry for unclear expressions, writing that kind of text in a foreign language aint that easy. Try to get the idea.

Thanks ALLLLOOOTT i think i understand everithing, i just need any ATF oil tupe F or G But no dexron, the problem is that i don see any :(

i had seen this somewere in the net as the one for M46

Oleo AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid

Ref. ART-01 Embalagens de 1/4 gal?o ( Quase 1 litro )

do you no if it?s good?

http://www.americansyntheticoil.com/synthetic-oil-racing-transmission.html

Tractor stores might have the oil you need.(No, not a joke)

E: the oil in your link seems to be fine.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you don't just use regular 10w40 motor oil, since Volvo recommends it for the transmission they designed, and many people have been running M46s that way for decades without problems.

I don't understand why you don't just use regular 10w40 motor oil, since Volvo recommends it for the transmission they designed, and many people have been running M46s that way for decades without problems.

I'm curious about the source for this info. The 200-series Greenbook says nothing about motor oil for the tranny, I've heard that it does say that in M40s, but not for the 45/46/47. Other interesting test would be synthetic gl-4, lets say VS200 or some similar oil, it seems to work very well in M47, but I dont know anyone testing it in M46

I'm curious about the source for this info. The 200-series Greenbook says nothing about motor oil for the tranny, I've heard that it does say that in M40s, but not for the 45/46/47. Other interesting test would be synthetic gl-4, lets say VS200 or some similar oil, it seems to work very well in M47, but I dont know anyone testing it in M46

I quoted word for word the factory glovebox manual for my 740 Turbo above:

Fluid type: Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F or G(FLM). Engine oil (SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30) is recommended for use in areas where the temperature seldom drops below 14?F (-10?C).

Basically, unless you live in an extremely cold climate, Volvo recommends engine oil over the ATF!

I quoted word for word the factory glovebox manual for my 740 Turbo above:

Basically, unless you live in an extremely cold climate, Volvo recommends engine oil over the ATF!
Now that is interesting, eu model manual only says the ATF, at least the 2 that I have.
Thanks for the info, I shall try the gear oil someday before the M46 is totaled, I got nothing to lose anymore so I think its worth a try with the VS200.

Last edited:
arriving tomorow
the
Oleo AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid
60? 2,8L :omg:

must be like even damn i?m geting poor:roll:

Back