• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V Turbo 242

Block is almost done at the machine shop. This kicked my butt into getting some new rings.

Contacted CP- the piston manufacturer. Apparently they no longer make the rings for these pistons. They kindly told me the specs, and to contact custom ring manufacturers to have some made. Awesome. They recommended Total Seal.

Guess I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

Block is almost done at the machine shop. This kicked my butt into getting some new rings.

Contacted CP- the piston manufacturer. Apparently they no longer make the rings for these pistons. They kindly told me the specs, and to contact custom ring manufacturers to have some made. Awesome. They recommended Total Seal.

What CP pistons are these?

Man, I wish you luck on those rings. I needed a replacement set for mine a few years back (ends butted thanks to incorrect specs from CP). Had a VERY knowledgeable friend in the industry look around and she couldn't find any rings in that thickness and diameter. Got in touch with JVAB and got a set thru him but those came from CP. If they aren't making them now....damn.

yeah if it's not this it's that I suppose.

re: the flywheel mine is still vaporware but it looks like some people have gotten them now. I'm not sure if Josh was going to keep putting them out since it was such a hassle getting this run made.

4.10's should play nicely with the 2.95 box.

It does. First one I did was Kevin Hawkinsons and he had 4.10 in and it was nice...It was a stock motor with T cam and Cossie turbo and GM box with the 0,72 5th...

Soooooooooooooo nice.

4,3 is possible even better..More umph in 3rd and 4th...5th still fine---a little less revs than a stock box/stock axle set up

Wait a second. Let me call those galoots. I've sold hundreds and never a problem previously.
Everything depends on who you talk to...

Thanks John,
That would be greatly appreciated. Should I find the piston spec sheet for you to reference ?

NINJA EDIT- John the job number was 108745 on the piston spec sheet

Jordan

Thanks John,
That would be greatly appreciated. Should I find the piston spec sheet for you to reference ?

NINJA EDIT- John the job number was 108745 on the piston spec sheet

Jordan

Great, that helps..I need to order 1 piston for a friend who killed one from that generation so thats double good. I'll let you know. (And I just thought. I have have a broken set---let me check)

A couple things happened.

Got the block, crank, rods/pistons back from the machine shop. Block was cleaned, decked, bored, honed with a torque plate, align honed, new intermediate shaft bearings installed.
Crank was polished
Rods/pistons were cleaned and verified pin fitment.

I still have to tap the block for oil drain, squirters and order some freeze plug retainers.

Crank

Question-. What do you guys recommend for bearings? Our aftermarket supplier supplies Glyco for rods and profession sweden parts (scan tech?) For mains. I work for Volvo, so maybe I should order some Volvo bearings? I'm worried they'll show up as scan tech parts. I'll see what our other suppliers can get.

I also bought some new wheels through a supplier through work. They were on sale so I bought them. They're 17*8.5". I put the junk tires from the pegs onto them after I verified they would clear the Porsche brakes. They have 25mm front spacers, offset of wheel is 35mm. I may space them out. A further 10+mm so I can drop the spring down lower. Sold my fenders so you can see the wheel with no fender.

In my first post I mentioned the modified 240/s60 hand brake shoe. Here is a shot of that.

Today I'd like to get the garage cleaned out, paint the block before it rusts, and get the rear studs pressed in so I can throw a wheel on the back and get an idea of what the car will look like.

Oh and note- I ended up ordering rings from Total Seal. I never heard back from John, which I took to mean CP can no longer supply the rings. Take warning if youre buying an old set of his pistons. CP supplied me the specs for the rings, and total seal said they would have no problems matching them.
They should be here next week.

Jordan

Yeah and they said supplied stopped doing that set and they would dig a bit. haven't hear back..Kinda sucks big gree donkey dicks cause i have a couple of hundred of those pistons out there in the wide world..Grrrrrrrr!

You can let people know that total seal can make them. Once I have them, I'll confirm fitment and let you know if they're good!

Jordan

Waiting on stuff to assemble the engine so I put in the long studs in the rear axles and threw the wheels on to get an idea of what they'll look like. The stock rear suspension is still in.

Ignore the mess. I need to clean up before the snow flies.

Waiting for more! I like the wheels.

Thanks,

Rings showed up today as did the squirter kit. Hopefully I can get it all from the post office tomorrow.

Tried getting Volvo bearings. They're on back order, which probably means they'll show up as scan tech stuff. I need to try and get some brand name stuff through wholesalers.

Jordan

About to place an order at Summit. I already forgot something from my first order (placed yesterday, Diff and heater).

I'm getting a piston ring compressor, and ring grinder. Is there anything else I should be ordering from there that you can think of?

Jordan

Back