• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

Thanks guys. They are just sitting in the car, still need to figure out some brackets. The stock sliders are longer and slightly narrower than the holes for on the bottom of the recaros.

Can you just bolt a plate to the bottom of the seats and redrill holes in the right spots?

Can you just bolt a plate to the bottom of the seats and redrill holes in the right spots?

The four bolts for on the seat bottom are slightly sunken compared with the rest of the seat by like 1/2 an inch. I could probably put spacers on the back side then a plate and probably have almost enough room to bolt it all together. That's the best idea so far, thanks!

Anyone have a measurement for the raised hump under the seats? I'm not sure the speedway universal mounts have enough height to clear it.

Not sure if this helps, but I modified a set of BMW 5 series seats to fit in my 82 245. The rear bracket design might help with your setup, I'm not quite sure on a 140, as I never swapped seats in my 145, so I'm not that familiar with the differences in seat mounts between the 240 and 140.

A couple of updates. I made some brackets to put in a pair of 1992 BMW 5 series front seats, which attach to only the stock seat mounting bolts. They're leather, and full power, which only take 2 wires to hook up. I haven't finished the wiring yet though. Right now they're just attached to a battery jump box that I have in the back seat. LOL

bmwseats020.jpg

bmwseats009.jpg

front inside bolts:
bmwseats031.jpg

front outside bolts, with a small 1.5 inch extension piece welded to the seat:
bmwseats004.jpg

rear mounts:
bmwseats032.jpg

bmwseats033.jpg

I used one flat piece all the way across, just because the stock Volvo mounting spots were narrower than the BMW rails, and so the forces would end up bending smaller brackets. This way, the force all sits on top of that flat horizontal bar, and the bar just has two small tabs going down to the bolt holes. Nice and simple, and the only downside is that it cost a couple bucks more in material. No biggie.

E34 seats? Looks great

Not sure if this helps, but I modified a set of BMW 5 series seats to fit in my 82 245. The rear bracket design might help with your setup, I'm not quite sure on a 140, as I never swapped seats in my 145, so I'm not that familiar with the differences in seat mounts between the 240 and 140.

Those seats look awesome! I think the 140 floor is a little different though. Here is a picture of the hump thing I am talking about. It runs from the outer frame rail to the transmission tunnel and it approx 3 or 4 inches high.

Those universal mounts show an overall height of 5 inches. I want to order them today but I need to measure the hump to make sure they will clear it.

The seat brackets and sliders from Speedway showed up today. They will easily clear the hump so as soon as I can drill some holes they will be in the car!

Awesome! I can't wait to see them bolted in!

Hopefully by the end of the weekend, just need to drill some holes and it should be ready to go. Can't thank Keith enough for the link to these sliders and brackets.
Seeing all these seat upgrades makes me almost regret reupholstering my stock ones. These are going to be awesome.

Your seats look awesome though. I was going to go that route until these Recaros came along in precisely the right shade of brown.

So I never measured the width of the seats and tonight when I put the sliders on the brackets tonight they were way to narrow. Luckily it will be really easy to mount the top brackets to the stock sliders. I guess thats probably why Keith just sent me a link to that portion of the kit. Live and learn, should have them mounted tomorrow!

Woot! Anxiously awaiting pics of them mounted! :D

Not as anxious as I was to get them mounted lol... Here they are:

Now to see if Speedway will take back the sliders and lower brackets even though they are opened and test fit together.

Can't wait to get out this afternoon and see how comfortable they are!

Those. Look. AWESOME!!! Congrats on getting them installed man! I bet it was a ball to drive without having to support yourself in corners!

-Ben

Back