• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Poik's 1988 744ti

Poik

Backwards Turbo
300+ Club
So, I came to Turbobricks in the beginning of 2005. I had a 1985 Volvo 745GLE that my dad bought new, and it was a piece of ****. I didn't really care, it was my daily driver and I already had a cool car. But it was slower than balls and I wanted to turbocharge it. After prowling and searching for a few months I made my prerequisite first newbie post asking if I was missing anything about turbocharging my car.

I was originally turned onto the idea of a turbo brick when I saw grebnut's 744ti (http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50476) at Pacific Raceways on opening day of 2005. I went over and checked it out before racing started, and it was badass. When racing started, my first run happened to be against the very car. My clutch blew up that day at the track, but he stuck with me until I hit about 3rd gear, and I was like "OMG this isn't happening." That was impressive, and I knew I wanted to have a quick Volvo.

So I started looking for a parts car to grab all the turbo parts off of, and I found an '88 744ti on craigslist just a couple miles away from my house. The guy was asking $500, but I snaked it for $300 because I am a business man. The guy thought it had some serious problem, turns out the 90? elbow from the throttle body to the cold side intercooler pipe was disconnected. It also had a kind of busted up front right corner, he said his friend backed into him. So the hood was crunched up a little and the headlight support metal was pushed in. It had some starting problems as well, which I finally tracked down to something involving the factory Volvo alarm system. I remedied this by installing a push button start button. Here's the original thread:

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39243

Here's how the car looked when I got it:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

So I bent the crunched up metal enough to get some headlights on there, and aligned the hood latch enough so that I didn't have to use a crowbar to open the mangled hood. Then I washed it.

main.php

The hood would always get stuck closed, so I ended up just putting hood pins on it. Two of the dracos on the car were bent, so I got one on turbobricks, and found a Sirius wheel at the junkyard that I threw on the front right. I also put on a K&N air filter and a Turbo-XS BOV. Also I put an MBC on and set the boost to 12psi, it was fun. And then I got a straight hood from the junkyard and painted it super dooper flat black (bad idea). It was basically a chalkboard, and since that day it was never washed.

main.php

I drove it like that for awhile, and then I got a crush bent downpipe and 3" exhaust that dumps before the axle for about $190 with a 3" Magnaflow muffler. cheap cheap. But then my clutch ate it.

main.php

So I put a Clutchnet 4-puck in using my stock pressure plate. This was the first transmission swap I had ever done. James (945ti) helped me out a ton (thanks again). At the same time I purchased MegaSquirt to put in it, this was February 2006. I didn't end up putting the MS box in it, because a month later I got an AQ171c, decided my 744 was not worthy, and then in another month I had an '84 242t that I alloted MS to. And this is largely how the car stayed for awhile. It would run consistent 15.2s at 90mph and I thought that was pretty neat for the amount of money I had into the car.

So sometime after that I got the open differential welded up, and I have loved it ever since. In February of 2007 I bought an ebay intercooler for $90 shipped, and put that in. Wished I would have done it sooner, as it improved my 1/4 mile trap speed by 2mph, with a best of 15.04 @ 92.17. Around the same time I finally found a 601 red 740 at the yard that I took the hood from. Also by this time I had found another draco, so I had all matching wheels (even tires), and matching paint! It was a large breakthrough.

main.php

Over the course of my ownership of the car I had been amassing performance parts. I got a 90+, but couldn't put it on because it was a TD05 and people told me it didn't work. I bought a turbocharger for a pretty good deal, an IPD turbo cam when they had a sale, some various other little things.

I drive my car hard by the way. Really hard, like shifting the M46 as fast as possible and being sideways as much as possible. The only thing I managed to break was a torque rod and my overdrive. But by this time my engine had developed a laughable amount of piston slap, when cold, when hot, whenever. But I outsmarted the car, and got a complete 1993 B230F L-block for $150. This is how it looked when I got it on the stand:

main.php

main.php

main.php

I stripped it down, pressure washed it, wire wheeled it, acetoned it, and then painted it Chrysler Red.

main.php

main.php

It looks really orange under the 500w halogen light, but in natural light it looks very Redblock red.

main.php

main.php

main.php

I've always liked the way the 90+ rear bumpers look because they are a little skinnier and don't have the crazy accordian things, and the front bumper on the 90+ cars is way more aerodynamic than the swiss cheese lower "air dam" that I had on the car, so I snagged a pair from the junkyard. I dyed the rear bumper with Forever Black, which worked pretty well. I ran out of sunny days to do the front bumper, so it still looks horrible. I also tinted my rear tail lights because I was feeling frisky.

main.php

So one day in October I was driving to Seattle early in the morning from Bellingham to go to work. I got on the freeway and everything was great. I drove for about 30 miles, and then I went to pass someone and the car didn't, um, go... I got off the freeway and drove around a few blocks. Yeah, no more turbo spooling noises, no more blow off valve, the turbo had frozen up. The power felt exactly the same up to about 3k, and even if I floored it in neutral it wouldn't rev over 4.2k or so. So I drove it like that for another 2 weeks or so, and then it was time. After 232k miles, on Thanksgiving weekend, the B230FT came out of my car.

main.php

main.php

My best friend Alec and I with the tired engine.

main.php

main.php

main.php

While the engine was out I took the time to clean the engine bay. When the car went back together I really didn't want anything dirty to go back on the car. So I hooked up my pressure washer to the hot water in the house, and gave the engine bay a bath a few times, with degreaser in between. It worked pretty well I thought.

main.php

main.php

I also cleaned up the parts that were going to go on the engine:

main.php

main.php

Then I spent a lot of time porting and polishing the 530 head that I was going to use on this engine. Mainly for practice, but I was very pleased with the results. I posted a thread in showroom, and here are a few pictures as well:

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119733

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Then I got some M10xM8 transition studs so that I could mount my Volvo TD05 turbine housing to the 90+ manifold that I ported. The housing is a Volvo unit that I got from thelostart of, but it has been machined out for the larger TD05H wheel, and ported a ton. The turbo is an EVO III 16g6. That means it is a little bigger than a "Big" 16g and has an inconel turbine wheel, which is lighter and better for heat. Here are some pictures of it on the 90+:

main.php

main.php

main.php

And then it was time to start putting everything together:

main.php

I used turbo exhaust valves that I got from John (The Aspirator) in the 530 head that came on my B230F.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

New exhaust studs:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And in she goes:

main.php

main.php

I also installed an e-fan (from a Dodge Spirit), knocksense, and an oil pressure gauge.

main.php

main.php

On my first attempt to start the car, it started right up, I was very, very happy. Everything sounded normal, but there was a pretty bad oil leak coming from the exhaust side. I thought that it must be the o-ring that seals the oil filter relocation arm, so I got one of those at the dealer the next day and replaced it. That is one thing that is a lot easier to do while on the engine stand :)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/__dYve39ARw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/__dYve39ARw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yesterday, the 29th of December, 2007, it was time to take the car for a test drive. At first we didn't make it very far though...

main.php

main.php

Enter Super-Truck!

main.php

It's been raining so much lately that the back yard is pretty much a swamp, but we were able to tow it out backwards and up to the street.

main.php

And here's me posing for the camera, excited to drive the car:

main.php

And a short blurry night time teaser video of the car:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l2xeN5KSJ0Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l2xeN5KSJ0Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The way it drives right now is not very impressive. If you're just putting around town it's ok, if you are above 3.5k and you floor it, it hauls ass, but the knock light blinks pretty often. The boost is set at 9psi right now, and it is definitely faster than it was before above 3k. Under 3k the turbo spools and the car just doesn't go, it's weird, it's LH2.2 for ya.

So, now that it runs, my list of things to do has grown a lot smaller. I have a set of 46lb CFI injectors that I need to have cleaned and flow tested, and then the next thing I need to do is make an adapter box for installing MS, and after that I need to spend awhile tuning it. I'll also get a methanol injection setup relatively soon. And after that, it's dyno time. I really am going to need a Getrag or something pretty soon as well.

Well, there's the history of my 744, I left out the boring parts. Comments and constructive criticisms welcome.

Even more pictures of the project are in this album:
http://eric-o.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3021

Thanks for looking,

- Eric

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLSe4TJEsCg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLSe4TJEsCg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Note the third gear scratch of woot.

That's very nice work. Interesting you blame LH 2.2 for the gutlessness under 3000rpm, my car does the same thing... No nice linear acceleration to be had, did it with the T cam, still does it with iPd powah.

So I guess a broader powerband is one more thing to look forward to when I go Haltech. Still can't justify how much I plan to spend on that silly business. :lol:

my lh2.2 had tons of balls under 3000rpm but only when it wasn't off melting my pistons did i get to enjoy so much of that... ms ftw

and NOICE port work there buddy, i wish i had the time and patience to work it like that. :oogle:

Thanks for the compliments guys! I forgot to mention that I also put IPD 25/25 sway bars on the car, and I used a Cometic MLS gasket from RSI on the new engine. I used .040" thickness to give me .032" squish. My LC-1 is being weird, it works with the engine off, but when I have the engine running it won't talk to the laptop. It was working before, I'm going to try changing the grounds and seeing if that helps out.
nice thread man. that IC pipe you have in the pic of the engine going in the car is freakin sweet. what's it from?
That is a "j-pipe" for a 1g (I think) DSM when they convert to a front mount intercooler. It bolts onto the 16g housing, I had to cut it to make it work though.
so what did the car run?
What do you mean, price wise..?

Tomorrow I don't have to work, so I will try to get some more (and better) footage.

Today I got around to installing my ebay catch can. Oily residue in my brand new turbo and motor be gone! I used a hammer to round the corners on the mount that came with the kit, and then I was able to just tap it into the opening that is on the insides of the strut towers. I know, good idea right?

main.php

main.php

Basically the car hauls ass above 4k. At 4k it just comes on and pulls HARD. I floored it in 4th gear the other day starting at 3k rpm, turbo spooled instantly, but the car barely accelerated until it hit 4k and just took off and started pulling harder and harder. The knock light didn't even blink when I did that, but it will always blink in gears 1-3. Hopefully tuning and more boost will get rid of most of the dead spot!

Looks great Eric! I can't believe that's the same engine bay.

I'll miss the "slap slap slap slap" sound of the old motor idling though...

:-P

M.

Nice project. In fact I may be copying the 90 bumper as an alternative to fixing my fog lights since I have one hanging in my rafters.

Can you come clean my engine bay so it looks like yours???
For a price ;-)
Probably used the time the engine was out to do a good long wax and polish.
Actually the pressure washer and degreaser did all that. There are still a few spots that I could touch up by hand though.
Looks great Eric! I can't believe that's the same engine bay.

I'll miss the "slap slap slap slap" sound of the old motor idling though...

:-P

M.
Yes, and the plume of burning oil. She shall be missed...

If I could've blown the motor up in one last glory run, I would have, but since the turbo went first, I didn't really have the power necessary to do that.
Nice project. In fact I may be copying the 90 bumper as an alternative to fixing my fog lights since I have one hanging in my rafters.
You might already know, but you'll need to have the 90+ bumper shocks as well. Also the sheetmetal is different on the 89-, so for the sides you will probably have to drill some holes in the metal to move the side mounts around, or use bolts, whatever. I just have the slide mount things in the stock location, with only one bolt attached to allow it to pivot. It's alright, but when I take the bumper off to make it black, I'll put it back on better so that it lines up on the side. You will also have to spacer your headlights out a bit because of the curved shape of the bumper.

Here are some pictures I took today of the methanol injection system that I installed yesterday. First I took the windsheild washer reservoir out and cleaned it inside and out, cleaned the filter, and got any gunk out of the inside. Then I drilled a hole in the back of it to put in the fitting for the feed of the methanol pump. I mounted the pump next to the reservoir on the passenger side with some self tapping screws:

main.php

main.php

Then I took the cold side pipe off and drilled it for the nozzle. I'm using an M5 nozzle which is ~374cc/min at 150psi, which is a little on the high side for the power I am running right now, but should be about right when I get the bigger injectors installed and double the boost. There is also a check valve right before the nozzle, so that water/methanol does not get sucked into the engine when not boosting, and also to stop boost pressure from pushing the water/methanol back through the pump.

main.php

So the other day when I was testing out my methanol injection, I floored it in 2nd, no knock, let off, and then my muffler fell off when I was going about 45. Grrr. This was among many other bad things that happened to me on Monday. Anyways, today I went up to John Lane's and he helped me fix my exhaust up. I didn't bring my camera, probably should have, but I did take 2 crappy camera phone pictures! We added a 3" Dynomax ultra-flow bullet muffler, as well as brought the exhaust up and over the axle, and put the 3" Magnaflow chambered muffler (the one that fell off) at the back. It turned out really well, and it only took about 2 hours to do. Thanks a bunch John!

Here is the Dynomax bullet that starts the incline over the axle:

main.php

And here is the view of the back:

main.php

Yeah, I need to get the factory hanger installed. Right after I find it.

Today I made the harness to adapt LH2.2 to the MSnS connector by following 500dollar744ti's article:

main.php

I still need to finish a couple things on my MS box, and then I can rip out the EZK box to do the jumpering. After that it's go time. Most likely that will happen next week though.

Back