• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project BPU! DD 945 turbo

Did you change the cam timing at all?

nope this was a simple a-b test, both cams timed straight up. I did one pull after the first three where I played with ignition timing just a little bit, and driving the car around there's some more work to be done there. I don't think I need an adjustable timing gear, I'm not displeased with the powerband as it sits. I'll refine the tune and get fully fleshed out numbers later.

The ipd cam wants to be 3-4 degrees behind straight up. Real tdc on it is at 1mm lift at crank TDC. Bet you pick up power everywhere that way rather than just shifting the powerband around.

The ipd cam wants to be 3-4 degrees behind straight up. Real tdc on it is at 1mm lift at crank TDC. Bet you pick up power everywhere that way rather than just shifting the powerband around.

Does this apply to 8v applications as well? I have mine straight up right now dialed back from +1 I originally had set.

IPD claims 15-25hp increase depending on mods but I figured the gains would be more substantial considering all you've done thus far. It's awesome to have this info and see how the HP progresses with the build!

I have an ipd cam and sts gear....was unaware of the best way to advance/retard it

I have an ipd cam and sts gear....was unaware of the best way to advance/retard it

Just to verify (because I literally just put my gear back to straight up) from advanced +1 degree... I should try retarding it 3 or 4 degrees instead?

I had it retarded-1, 2 degrees at one point (but with a pretty bad vac leak i was unaware of at the time) but I do prefer my top end with the 20t! ;) especially how strong she's running now! :D

Last edited:

I am only really concerned with power from about 3700 to 6200. We stay there all day long. Getting from 5500 to 6000 seems an effort with the IPD cam straight up.

I am only really concerned with power from about 3700 to 6200. We stay there all day long. Getting from 5500 to 6000 seems an effort with the IPD cam straight up.

6000 is not a place where a stock 8v head will make power, generally speaking.

I don't know why they grind them so advanced from where they say it should be installed. Maybe it's a guideline as to how far they want you to mill the head?

Or they're getting paid off by Big Adjustable Cam Gear.

Or it's a hold over from when it seemed every aftermarket cam was ground with 4? of adv built in...

6000 is not a place where a stock 8v head will make power, generally speaking.

There are a lot of places on the tracks we race where it doesn't make sense to shift from 4th to 5th as you near the end of a straight. You just keep it in gear with the foot down until you brake or hit the limiter. *shrug*

There are a lot of places on the tracks we race where it doesn't make sense to shift from 4th to 5th as you near the end of a straight. You just keep it in gear with the foot down until you brake or hit the limiter. *shrug*

Being able to spin it to avoid changing gears and making incremental power at those RPMs are totally different things.

so I reckon the takeaway is I need to get an adjustable cam gear before I toss this 8v head aside? :lol:

fan motor ordered, along with spare hoses ahead of MM, did notice that the radiator was somewhat swollen when I had it out of the car, that's not quite desirable. no idea how long that's been like that, but I'ma keep an eye on it, and maybe toss a spare in for the trip. it doesn't leak or anything, but.. still, undesirable.

in checking what type of fan motor the car has, I discovered a lot of silver "residue" on the side of the motor, so I'm guessing it self-destructed.

Back