• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

I don't know about CA, but I'll share what I did in OR. I had the original blue plates, beat up, in a box and new OR plates mounted on the car. I registered the car as a "special vehicle" (antiques, race cars, collector cars, etc.) then you only have to run a rear plate and you can use a vintage plates. I took the best plate I had to the DMV, they photocopy it and call it good. IMO it is well worth the extra effort. Plus in OR the special vehicle only gets registered once, so I never have to pay DMV on that car again.

I don't know about CA, but I'll share what I did in OR. I had the original blue plates, beat up, in a box and new OR plates mounted on the car. I registered the car as a "special vehicle" (antiques, race cars, collector cars, etc.) then you only have to run a rear plate and you can use a vintage plates. I took the best plate I had to the DMV, they photocopy it and call it good. IMO it is well worth the extra effort. Plus in OR the special vehicle only gets registered once, so I never have to pay DMV on that car again.

That's a good point too. I have collector car insurance on it so I could register it as a collector car.

Which was does this gasket go? I think the crappy one that came with the weber blew out.

Nevermind, I dug around and found that the metal side should be towards the head.

Checkout the one that came with the weber. Did I put it on backwards or was it just a huge piece of crap?

huge POS... the ones that are perforated metallic cardboard seem to always blow out around the exhaust ports. I have recently had this happen and since the local parts house couldnt get me a FI gasket with alignment pin holes, I used the axle grease (exhaust) and ultra gray RTV (intake). So far that is holding up, but I need to get a new gasket ordered.

huge POS... the ones that are perforated metallic cardboard seem to always blow out around the exhaust ports. I have recently had this happen and since the local parts house couldnt get me a FI gasket with alignment pin holes, I used the axle grease (exhaust) and ultra gray RTV (intake). So far that is holding up, but I need to get a new gasket ordered.

Okay that's what I thought after comparing it to the new elring one. When I was installing it as part of the Weber conversion I remember thinking it looked terrible even when it was new. the car should be a lot quieter now!

Yeah, those perfo ones can work great on wildly fubard head/mani situations, but they dont last long. I have found that a quick slather with axle grease around the exhaust ports on both sides (instead of spray on gasket dressing) and a wipe on both sides with ultra gray rtv will get them to last a few years.. sometimes.

Latecomer to this thread -- just read the entire thing all the way back to the beginning. Congratulations on bringing another 72 in 107 into the fold!
Thanks! You have a pretty car.
Yeah, those perfo ones can work great on wildly fubard head/mani situations, but they dont last long. I have found that a quick slather with axle grease around the exhaust ports on both sides (instead of spray on gasket dressing) and a wipe on both sides with ultra gray rtv will get them to last a few years.. sometimes.

Thanks for the hints

When I put the new gasket on I forgot to clean the mating surfaces. Since the last gasket failed in such spectacular fashion there was a ton of material left on the header. It took about 2 hours today but I was able to remove it and scrape the areas around the exhaust ports clean. Now the car is so much quieter!

I saw some of those when I was searching around. What is the benefit, just that they won't blow out? Have you run one on any of your cars?

I never used one on my B20 engine, but I have a lot of experience with them on aircooled VW exhaust ports. The copper was nice because you could reuse them several times, which was handy on a race engine that came apart pretty often. The downside is that it was hard to get them to make a complete seal. Luckily, they were only used on the exhaust side so a leak wasn't that big of a deal. I would be a little hesitant to use them on the intake side, because an intake leak can cause a huge problem. And I'd be especially hesitant on a B20 that has the intake and exhaust on the same gasket, and tends to already have sealing issues especially with aftermarket manifolds.

I never used one on my B20 engine, but I have a lot of experience with them on aircooled VW exhaust ports. The copper was nice because you could reuse them several times, which was handy on a race engine that came apart pretty often. The downside is that it was hard to get them to make a complete seal. Luckily, they were only used on the exhaust side so a leak wasn't that big of a deal. I would be a little hesitant to use them on the intake side, because an intake leak can cause a huge problem. And I'd be especially hesitant on a B20 that has the intake and exhaust on the same gasket, and tends to already have sealing issues especially with aftermarket manifolds.

Okay cool, that's sort of what I thought when I came across them.

Back