• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

The car has been running okay and I am too busy to really play around with it much. That being said at freeway speeds if I really got on the throttle the car would buck like it were running lean. Since I drive like a grandmother this was hardly ever an issue.

Tonight I had some free time and pulled the main jets out to take a look. Somehow they were set at 150-135. I bumped the 135 up to a 145 and low and behold it has great throttle response at all RPM range and loads!

With a 50-45 idle circuit the idle seems a little high even with the idle mixture adjusted in (1100rpm). What sort of primary idle jets are you guys running on B20s?

My B20 with D cam shaved F head. Im using wideband A\F gauge. It gets lean for second when I open it very gick.
42 42
150 140
165 180

I had been meaning to do this for a while but it was such a pain that I kept putting it off. The trunk struts were totally blown. Luckily I never really put anything back there so it wasn't that critical. I bought some replacements from a TB'r and finally bit the bullet and got them installed. Low and behold my trunk is erect!

The culprits:

I ended up having to pull the trunk off the hinges and the hinges off the body to get the old struts off.

Love your car! The stance with those rims looks amazing.

I got a servicekit for the HIF6 carbs called "WZX1452+53" with "BBB" needles.
It a bit rich at the moment. I still need to adjust them.

got this rehung:

then took a little trip to show Buttercup off to her original owner. Very fun to catch up and also show the car to her son who drove it years ago in high school. They were very impressed!Untitled

Last night I decided to push my luck and drive the car to Woodland Hills for Motor4Toys. It was 140 miles round trip and the car performed flawlessly.

The charity show is one of the biggest in California and has like 5000 cars. That photo doesn't do it any justice but you see Buttercup next to Spencer's 242.

When I got back I was showing the car to my friend who was visiting from Portland. We noticed a huge puddle under the car right when my wife pulled up to the house. We all thought it was coolant which seemed strange since the car didn't overheat. When I went to investigate this evening the coolant res was full and the liquid had evaporated. Then I noticed the huge crack in the washer fluid reservoir. Being outside a garage for the first time ever last night must have been the final straw that killed the 50 year old plastic.

does anyone has a crack free one available?

First, big shoutout to Ken for getting me an awesome upgrade to the engine bay:

Damn that looks good in there.

With that sorted we used Buttercup to go pickup a christmas tree:

now thats a southern california christmas card if i have ever seen one! Hope all is well buddy!!

As always.....
Car looks stunning!!!
Pics are soo right!
Stance is spot on!
/ sven

Thank Sven!

So it being winter and all I decided that it would be nice to figure out why my heater fan has never functioned. I did the heater core on my old 780 so I thought that this would be a wretched job and since it is never very cold when I drive the car this problem never made it very high on the list.

I have the next few days off from work and school so I decided to crack open a beer and take a look. When I cracked open the case I saw a few dried leaves... a small hint of what was to come next:

When I finally got a look into the motor here is what came out:

Handfuls of dried leaves were jammed into the upper portion of the heater box. Once I cleared them I started the car to see if that would help the motor turn on its own.

With the car and fan button on, the fan would only turn in one direction vs either way without power applied to it. I think that means that it wants to work but it isn't quite there. I have read about lubricating the motor but don't know exactly where to apply the grease. Any suggestions?

Kept on digging in and removed the motor. After putting some oil on the bearing I was able to get the blower motor to turn under its own power for the first time. It was still very gunked up so I tried to remove the bearing cover plate but the mount snapped off

Anyone know where I can find a new motor?

http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=articlelist&requery=1&searchstr=fan&searchfld=

at least you tired - thumbs up for that one

I also have a couple of used ones

also I have a 107 code hood now... and I think there is a guy up norcal looking for that "other" yellow

It was really fun to play around with it and watch the improvements until I went too far. I think this fan was just too far gone given how many leaves were jammed into the box.

I looked all around VP but it looked like they only had the later style Motor that was shared with early 240s. How much would you like for your used one?

Back