• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

Kept on digging in and removed the motor. After putting some oil on the bearing I was able to get the blower motor to turn under its own power for the first time. It was still very gunked up so I tried to remove the bearing cover plate but the mount snapped off

Anyone know where I can find a new motor?

Those have been long gone since the early 80's afik.

I have the top half of an early 140 HVAC box with a good fan for $100 plus the ride.

LMK

I love the Volvo community. Ken sent me an awesome working heater blower. It arrived this morning and this afternoon I put it in the car. These old cars are so much nicer to work on than my 740 and 780. I can't wait to try out the heat tomorrow morning on my way to cars and coffee.

You wouldn't know by looking but these weather stripping pieces are absurdly complicated to put on. I ended up having to completely disassemble the door and remove the glass to gain access. Happy to have it completed so the glass doesnt rattle around anymore

Not much to update on the car. We are in the process of buying our first house so things are pretty hectic. I drove down to Oxnard for docent training at the Mullin Museum. We are about to launch a Citroen Exhibit. I decided to drive Buttercup since it was such a nice day out. Great day and drive down the coast, but I wish the car had a fifth gear for highway cruising.

Then I jacked up the car and found that the over the axle pipe was super loose and the adjustable panhard and torque rods had worked themselves loose too. Fixed all that as well!

Great looking car!
Are you entering the car in the Davis show?
What springs did you use to lower?
I'm curious how it rides.

Great looking car!
Are you entering the car in the Davis show?
What springs did you use to lower?
I'm curious how it rides.

I wish I was able to make it up to Davis but I couldn't. Will try to make it to SLO for the show in September.

Haven't had any time to mess around with the car lately but found a free hour or so last night.

At freeway speeds the car would sometimes hesitate if I gave it gas. I am on the freeway so rarely I didn't try to chase the issue down. When I went down to the garage I decided to investigate. According to the weber install instructions a low float could cause that and the hard cold start. I pulled the carb apart and low and behold the floats were really low. Bent them back into shape and took it for a test drive today:

It was running so well I stopped for some groceries!

Still need to fix the rocker rust

My dream is to put an NA 16V in it with a 5 speed but it is really great as is

I forget what you did for a trans. Would a M46 fit in the 140 trans tunnel?

I'll be running my M41 for a while. I think an M46 would fit in a later 142 tunnel (with the remote shifter), but only if you mount the redblock slanted, or find a 75 240 bell housing to mount it upright.

As of right now, I'm thinking I'll end up putting a Getrag trans in mine.

I'll be running my M41 for a while. I think an M46 would fit in a later 142 tunnel (with the remote shifter), but only if you mount the redblock slanted, or find a 75 240 bell housing to mount it upright.

As of right now, I'm thinking I'll end up putting a Getrag trans in mine.

I didn't think an m40 or 41 would be up to the task of working behind a b230ft?

Will a getrag fit?

wish there was somebody who could assist in making that happen...

lets chat again soon :)

For sure man! Whenever your work slows down

m46 will clear te trans tunnel i tink, m47 fitted in my 72 142, but i swapped to m90 and that big lump did not fit. 16v without turbo i would run the engine slanted. because you don't need al lot of room for the exhaust. and the inlet/carbs need the room.

Back