• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

I think I have a new LUK PP and disc lying around for M46 flywheel to work with M90 (diesel setup). Surprisingly, the PP and disc were stamped with Sachs brand and numbers, the box was LUK....

I think I have a new LUK PP and disc lying around for M46 flywheel to work with M90 (diesel setup). Surprisingly, the PP and disc were stamped with Sachs brand and numbers, the box was LUK....

Did you buy this setup new from LUK? Foggy James has confirmed that LUK brand is good quality hardware. Perhaps my coffee hasn't kicked in, when you say M46 do you mean the flat flywheel version, or the LH2.4 dogdish with the 60-2? I don't have much M46 experience other than helping my son put a clutch in his 81 244; as I understand it the early setup is 215mm and the later 228mm (dogdish).

The 940TDI clutch bolts right onto the M46 dogdish flywheel (60-2).
You can order the clutch from Sachs or buy a LUK clutch.
You will get the same parts, but the "LUK" parts are cheaper.

And yes the first (3.91) and second gear (2.2) are way to short for fast acceleration.
It's hard not to run into the rev-limiter in first gear when accelerating fast.

I want to install an M90 in my other volvo 740. Is there perhaps someone in the south of holland who has a LUK clutch and pressure plate for sale?

The 940TDI clutch bolts right onto the M46 dogdish flywheel (60-2).
You can order the clutch from Sachs or buy a LUK clutch.
You will get the same parts, but the "LUK" parts are cheaper.

And yes the first (3.91) and second gear (2.2) are way to short for fast acceleration.
It's hard not to run into the rev-limiter in first gear when accelerating fast.

The LUK clutch kit is on order, so I hope you are correct about "same parts".

I think the first gear will be reserved for climbing the hill to my home....otherwise of little use. I expect I will be waiting for 2nd to apply the boost....and resisting the temptation to bang 3rd.

Well my LUK clutch kit arrived....shipped to my door in Georgia, for 186 GBP ($308 at current ER).

After opening their 3 pc kit # 623224000, it contains all SACHS components, exactly as described (a couple years ago) in this thread.

228mm SACHS TDI Disc, Pressure plate, and release bearing:

Disc 1862 468 031
PP 3082 204 033
Bearing 3151 189 232

And perhaps the best news....my gearbox is actually a M90H1, not a M90L2! This means I have the 3.54 first, 2.05 second....same 3/4 as the vaunted L2, and a 0.81 5th. This gearing will match well with the 3.31 LSD Diff. I have (with LH2.4 tone ring factory) that I plan to fit to the 940. Those first couple gears, not as wicked short as the L2 mountain goat gearing.

MPH at 6K shift points, using the 3.31 final gearing and my 25.1" OD tires means very reasonable shift points (38, 66, 98 mph) for the "performance gear changes" and a 70 MPH OD friendly 2515 RPM, which I think the 2.3L redblock will pull easily on level interstate driving.

The only concern for the H1 is the broken 3rd synchro, apparently caused by "gear banging" as we idiots in the States say. That issue, also easily resolved by welding the synchro, has been documented by many online.

850 glt

The 228mm clutch in the volvo 850 glt is also used in MK1 V70's etc. Has anyone just put the clutch and pressure plate straight in ( without using the Sachs racing pressure plate )?
How has it held up?

2 1/2 questions, guys.

1) Have we confirmed that the correct measurement for the M90 front shaft is 744mm from end to end? And/or can anyone tell me how much longer that is than the stock m46 shaft? (I'm not lazy, I just don't have a ton of down time to crawl under the car nor an accurate way to measure it). I can't afford a mistake here, if I botch the installation then I'll be minus my last driveable vehicle for a while.

2) Regarding the welding, what is the general consensus on how to approach this? Since I lack a welder and skill to use one, I feel like I'd be better served taking the entire shaft to a professional but I have never dismantled a transmission and lack most of the tools to do so. I see some people mention filling it with gear oil as a coolant/spatter protection measure, which I'm willing to explore, but without having the transmission in front of me it's hard for me to visualize what that entails. Do I just buy a crap ton of cheap gear oil and dump it in? Or is there a less messy/wasteful way to do this?

2b) What should I tell the welder? Should I assume he'll know what wire/temperature to use or can someone clear that up for me?

Thanks.

1) Have we confirmed that the correct measurement for the M90 front shaft is 744mm from end to end? And/or can anyone tell me how much longer that is than the stock m46 shaft? (I'm not lazy, I just don't have a ton of down time to crawl under the car nor an accurate way to measure it). I can't afford a mistake here, if I botch the installation then I'll be minus my last driveable vehicle for a while.

Thanks.

I have the front half of the M90 driveshaft....donor was a 9 series. I can likely provide what dimensions you need for this piece. However if you are fitting your M90 to a 2 series, this won't help you.

The front driveshaft (prop shaft) half measures out at around 743mm.....from the aft end of the splined shaft to the FRONT edge of the REAR Guibo mounting flange. This front measure to the Guibo input end is tricky to measure as you have you choice of several surfaces. I've snapped some pics which I will attach to this post for M90 posterity. I don't speak fluent Guibo, so I'm not sure where your donor parts would be coming from to match the size of the M90 output flange. Other experts feel free to chime in on how you fab'd your this detail.

The detailed pic of the front Guibo mount & my OAL measurement from/to:

WP_20140606_003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WP_20140606_004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
In response to another conversation, I can confirm that the M90 guibo / hardy disk is a direct bolt-on to the M46/M47 prop shaft. Although I can't take the disk out of my M46 to measure, it appears to be the exact same part on both setups down to the width of the disk and length of the holes.

I know it was stated elsewhere in the thread, but someone asked, and I saw at least one thread with someone claiming that they were different.

I bought my M90 kit right here in the classifieds....seller's name was TIZ as I recall. Fortunately he had a complete kit minus clutch and dogdish flywheel which I already had. Seller was in the UK, and it took around 1.5 months to get it to me (not snail shipping, the seller was too busy to get it expedited). All's well as it showed up fine, just took some time to get States.

The only M90 specific parts are the transmission and front half of the driveshaft. The rest of the parts (pedal assembly, flywheel, clutch hydraulics....) can be sourced here in the states.

As for my my M90 and driveshaft, I got it from Foggyjames here on TB although it was about 4 years ago. I'm not sure if he is still in the business anymore though.

I've picked up a sketchy dog dish flywheel that needs resurfacing before it goes into the M90, does anyone have the correct dimension for the top of the dish to the bottom?

I am getting ready to reinstall my M90 in 95 945T and I need to get a new release bearing. Is the one for the M90 the same as the M46/M47 or is it different?

I'll be using it with a dogdish LH2.4 flywheel and a clutchnet yellow 740/900 PP and a Kevlar 850 sprung hub clutch disk if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
So is it even worth posting a want ad for a whiteblock M90 or is it getting pretty impossible to get one in the states? Or is it pointless because you really need multiples in case something goes wrong?

I'm doing a RWD whiteblock and the simplicity is really appealing.

I am getting ready to reinstall my M90 in 95 945T and I need to get a new release bearing. Is the one for the M90 the same as the M46/M47 or is it different?

Don't know if same/different, but I listed the SACHS release bearing part# early in this thread....came with my LUK (Sachs) 940 TDI clutch for the dogfish & M90.

Back