• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone have any good estimates for CoG of various cars?

Rockmonton

namely the amazon wagon,

but i mean, this could include all the cars. Mostly concerned with the vertical CoG

anyone?

Is this for building a spit to rotate the bare shell around?

If so, no idea on the Amazon, but from experience will almost certainly lie somewhere between the top edge of the bumper and the underside of the bonnet/ hood leading edge.

On some spits the pivot point is adjustable via a screw adjuster, but if you get it reasonably close it is still fairly easy to revolve the shell with some help before locking it in the required position.

Hope this helps a little, spits are great for floor, sill and chassis rail repairs.

nah, for trying to work out some of the vehicle dynamics.... i wish i had access to a set of corner scales...

i'm guessing it'll be around 18" off the ground, but 2" either way can change things a fair bit.

nah, for trying to work out some of the vehicle dynamics.... i wish i had access to a set of corner scales...

i'm guessing it'll be around 18" off the ground, but 2" either way can change things a fair bit.

I thought you are an engineer....grab some bathroom scales, make 'em work :)

haha, don't have the $$$$ to buy enough scales. i've been prowling ebay for a cheap set of load cells, but no luck yet.

plus, i'm not graduating until the spring :p so being a student, where money is tight, makes life slightly difficult.

I thought you are an engineer....grab some bathroom scales, make 'em work :)

Yeah, good idea. You would need to know the total car weight and then put a couple of planks on two b. scales, roll the front tires on the planks untill you get about 200# on the scales(the plank will have to be level, so the rear of the planks will have to be raised the amount of the scale height). Figure out the distance to weight ratio on the planks and use that ratio with the scale readings and figure out your center of gravity. (Just like calculating reactions on a beam). Raise the rear to get your CofG angle and weight increase and calculate your center of gravity. :) Plug into this sites' calculator.
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22

Think how impressed your instructors would be.

Last edited:
haha, my instructors only seem to be impressed when i do something like refurb the 60 year old jackleg that was in the lab back to working condition so the team didn't have to rent one to learn on for the upcoming competition.

To do that though will have to wait for the snow to melt.... but it's a possibility!

Back