• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Erik's 220 Project

It'll be at least a week or two until i make it back out, given the -30 highs we're expecting, haha.

And Brett, bigger belt! With an idler pulley, or else one belt for the alt from the water pump and one from the crank to the water pump.

That could work awesome, if you can let me know if they fit, that'd be awesome.

The two steering boxes are splined differently, but does mean you can respline or find a spline of the right size/teeth. I'll take a picture of the two so you can have a reference (when I remember to grab my camera from work).

Paul

Nice! It'd be some good reference, I think I'm gonna pull the box out, cut down the stem, and turn a 1" plug of 1018 down to fit the inside diameter, and be 3/4" on the outside, and mill down the edges to the DD profile, and then bevel the edges of the column and run a nice weld bead around it.

SteeringCouplings.jpg

1800E on top
240 on bottom

thanks Malloy!

okay, tax return will be in the bank account this week....

plan of attack!

Get flywheel to machine shop and get it balanced.... easily enough done...

Finish moving pedal box over, weld in gaping hole in firewall.

Go out to kar-bashers and cut the tranny tunnel out of a fox body, clean it up and weld it in

Finish the patch in the passenger floor.

Weld in seat mounts for drivers side, make mounts for passenger side.

Pull gas tank and spare tire lid/stuff

Make upper link for the ford 8.8.

Finish panhard setup.

Finish rear trailing arms/convert to coilover/gain clearance to brakes.

Figure out a park-brake.
Bolt up rear end, remember to fill with fluid put in c clips/torque caps/etc.

If it's warm enough, wash floors/trunk/everything and prime with the epoxy.

Base coat black

Try out this cheap key-lime pearl i've had sitting on the shelf and see how it lays down mixed in with the generic $100/gallon clear.

If it goes well, finish painting the interior, door jambs, etc, Clearcoat the inside.

Have trunk-monkeys assemble interior/replace dash/mount wiring and computers/etc.

Install U joint in driveshaft.

Solder new in-tank sender/pump into tank, run hard lines.

Pull engine/tranny

Finish welding xmember, sand/prime/paint engine bay.

Bolt on the proper tranny with new clutch, pressure plate, short-shifter and adapter plate in the right order.

Don't forget to lube T/O bearing.
Run new hard-line from slave to clutch master

Install new master, Run new hardlines to all four corners, fill, bleed, test.

Install driveshaft.
figure out/finish steering column
Re-install engine/tranny
install speedo cable?
Finish the alternator setup.

Install drainplug and starter

Finish intake manifold

Install fuel rail

Run fuel lines, pressure test.

Wire up and time engine.

Test-fire!

Fix whatever i forgot to do.

Then test drive/first burnout-sies

sand/prime/paint car.

install and wire up lights/such.

install windshield.

get insurance & inspection, test car.

drive to saskatchewan and join 306tuners :p

finally had enouh time to trim up the pedal box. yay. maybe i'll get enough time to tack it in place and start filling up the firewall.

thinking about converting to a tilt column, the stocker is about 32" long from the threads, has 1.5" of stickout for the wheel and is 28" to the notch in the pedal box, and an S10 column should fit nicely at about 32" That'll also let me route the U joints a bit easier and make some clearance for an intake.

I could also just modify the end of the stocker column, which is likely the best option for now. moar pics to come later

haven't figured out my suspension geometry again yet, but....

ama88.jpg

ama87.jpg

it'll be touch-and-go to see if i have enough belt angle on the waterpump :S

ama89.jpg

cut the steering column, now i've gotta machine the adapters and weld it in and start running the U joints out with the shafts.

ordered a big box of goodies from summmit today, including a clutch and the steering components.

and also lined up the drivers seat, just gotta figure out now what to do to get it all welded up the way i want it.

ama93.jpg

ama94.jpg

figured out an idler setup.

need to finish welding it and get some bolts.

back to the j/y tomorrow to cut out the rest of that tranny tunnel!

also, in the evening if i get some time i'll build at least one of the upper links .

ama94-2.jpg

what the thing should look like bottomed out on bump stops

ama95.jpg

the desired ride height.

I've got 2.5" of travel up within the desired range and 3" to the bump stops, and about the same down.

figured out the final arrangement for the rear upper links that will give me a 69% static AS and a 0% AS at full bump and around 120% at droop (Trying to figure out what that means, if i get on the gas out of a corner where it's bumpy, does that mean it plants the tires and goes?)

trying to figure out if i need two upper links or not, or if that one satisfactorily large (1.75 x .120 wall) will do.

2 days of updates in one!

studied for most of the day, but managed to pick this up for a pretty decent deal,

tag is 199

ama96.jpg

anyone need a steel input bearing retainer?

ama97.jpg

was free this afternoon, got another 960 pan for the PV for some horse trading, and got this done...

ama98.jpg

ama99.jpg

The u joints are still not in yet, so i can't mill the flats, but this is the general idea, the steering tube is seamless, so this fits snugly into the ID (About .550" and then will be beveled and welded around the edges, and the 3/4" side will be milled for the 3/4" DD couplers i picked up.

2 days of updates in one!

studied for most of the day, but managed to pick this up for a pretty decent deal,

tag is 199

ama96.jpg

anyone need a steel input bearing retainer?

ama97.jpg

was free this afternoon, got another 960 pan for the PV for some horse trading, and got this done...

ama98.jpg

ama99.jpg

The u joints are still not in yet, so i can't mill the flats, but this is the general idea, the steering tube is seamless, so this fits snugly into the ID (About .550" and then will be beveled and welded around the edges, and the 3/4" side will be milled for the 3/4" DD couplers i picked up.

decided to put the car up and away for storage today, but not before doign a smidgen more work

ama102-1.jpg

ama103-1.jpg

ama104-1.jpg

and dusted on a bit of guide coat on any area that was sanded near metal. and then zip-tied in the grilles because it seemed like a good idea.

i'm really thinking that despite my first reservations, the chrome hood pins and safety wire might actually look decent coming out of this thing.

Back