• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Question for JordanGT (Or anyone who knows OEM suspensions)

Bready

board deviant
Or anyone else who cares to provide something constructive.

2001 C70 Cabrio. Suspension question.

Based on this thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-95969.html apparently (at least in the UK) the C70 cabrio had two different suspension options, a standard ride height and a lowered height.

Question 1 - is that applicable here in the US? If so how do I know which applies to this vehicle.
Question 2 - what are existing part numbers for those springs? I can't tell if they are still available - I don't want to go any lower on the car than it is already so that eliminates most of the aftermarkets like H&R unfortunately.

Thoughts on the shocks and struts would be appreciated as well.

you might be able to decipher your suspension setup based on your VIN? if not by checking markings/numbers on the factory components. Afters some digging I found it interesting they offered different front spring options:

Spring Thickness / Spring Diameter / Length / Type / OE REFERENCE
12,75 / 142 / 442 / Pigtail & Pigtail end - green / 3546642
13,00 / 143 / 473 / Pigtail & Pigtail end - brown / 3546644
12,75 / 144 / 457 / Pigtail & Pigtail end - blue / 3546641-6

Seeing those measurements, the greens would lower the most? brown's the highest ride height (plus stiffer??)

Thanks Amar - that helps put some more of the pieces of the puzzle together.

Now to figure where the actual color codes are on the springs. :???:

Also helps translate into sport spring applications. I'm guessing there may actually be some sport springs that translate into that green spring spec.

Really appreciate it :wave:

Last edited:
Thoughts on the shocks and struts would be appreciated as well.

My friend Bob has like over 100 Volvos and for 850s he loves the Koni STR.T with Eibachs or with stock springs

Koni_Eibach_FWD_08.jpg

I've been thinking about the Koni Reds (used to be gold). Have to figure out the springs first then I can go from there.

Appreciate it hadn't thought about the STR T but will now. Though I wonder how much better they would be than just new OEM on this car.

Speaking of which - Amar - any list of variables with the struts associated with those springs?

Come on = no one can tell me where the color codes on the springs are?

You could just PM me, I don't typically look at maintenance.

Different suspensions here is totally viable. Most of the cars have different options here. Fire me the VIN and I'll see what it deciphers.

The paint they are talking about is exactly that, paint, on the spring. It is usually a 1" wide paint mark on the spring near one end. Problem is, yours has probably fallen off by now. New springs will have the marking.

Jordan

You could just PM me, I don't typically look at maintenance.

Different suspensions here is totally viable. Most of the cars have different options here. Fire me the VIN and I'll see what it deciphers.

The paint they are talking about is exactly that, paint, on the spring. It is usually a 1" wide paint mark on the spring near one end. Problem is, yours has probably fallen off by now. New springs will have the marking.

Jordan

Will do - thanks Jordan appreciate it.

I've been thinking about the Koni Reds (used to be gold). Have to figure out the springs first then I can go from there.

Appreciate it hadn't thought about the STR T but will now. Though I wonder how much better they would be than just new OEM on this car.

Speaking of which - Amar - any list of variables with the struts associated with those springs?

I assume they did offer some different struts with dampening to match the spring type, again it might be easiest for Jordan to decipher your VIN and see what setup it has.

I ordered rear shocks in the STR.T flavour, they're supposed to be dampened like the Koni Yellows at their softest setting. I'm pretty confident they'll be better than anything offered from factory, and at some point I'll get the front struts to match. I'm still not sure what I want to do as far as springs go for my P80. I wouldn't mind slightly lower and stiffer but I don't like too low or harsh for the daily driving I do.

The old gold ones with the variable dampening I feel are a bit spendy, otherwise it seems like they'll offer the best of both worlds as far as comfort and performance go.

Let's see what Jordan can pull from your VIN, it would also contain info around the stock swaybars that also get a colour splotch marking from the factory too.

Amar that is great stuff - thanks. I'll get the Vin to Jordan to see what is what, but that was incredibly helpful really appreciate it :wave:

Back