• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dashboard swap options

FQ340

Hi all,

I am thinking about swapping the dash on my 76 245 to a newer model.
I need more room for digital dash and multimedia etc.
I have read that all can be swapped (lets say till early 90s models) with varying kind of difficulties.
I was initially thinking about going with a 91 dash as per what @cameron did, it has a longer instrument cap (with place for stereo/gauges on the right side), however I am now thinking of going for a 85ish 740 dash because, as a ?classic/old? bmw lover, I really like that the center part is rotated to the driver.

So, will a 740 dash fit to an early 245?
I will cut some parts to fit a modern ac and clear my cage, what i wonder is will it fit the curve of the windshield..

Thank you.

The most important part of moving from 75-80 to the newer dash is the cluster - you'd need the newer style, preferably an 81-86 with the mechanical speedo. I don't believe the wiring for warning lights, blinkers, etc is a direct swap. I'm sure it's been done though.

I think what i really have to check is whether the windshield is the same on 75 and lets say 85-92. Because if the windshield is the same than the curve of the dash will be the same too.

I do not care much about the cluster, heating components or wiring very much because they all will be rewired for a digital dash, vintageair AC, multimedia etc..

I think I read somewhere that the windshield is the same on all 1xx 2xx 7xx models, can anyone confirm 🤔

I think what i really have to check is whether the windshield is the same on 75 and lets say 85-92. Because if the windshield is the same than the curve of the dash will be the same too.

I do not care much about the cluster, heating components or wiring very much because they all will be rewired for a digital dash, vintageair AC, multimedia etc..

I think I read somewhere that the windshield is the same on all 1xx 2xx 7xx models, can anyone confirm 🤔

The windshield is the same for a 240 models. 740/940 models have a different windshield. Do you need ac/heat? The heater box on 240s is bulky. So fitting a 740 dash is not going to work unless you remove heater box and all the ac venting. You're going to have to make some sort of mounts ro mount the 740 dashboard. I'll measure a 740 dashboard later and post the length.

I've got a dashboard from a 91 740 available as well.

47997811658_0fd359e28e_z.jpg

47997852621_aa50156357_z.jpg

Thank you very much guys, these were the answers I was looking for.
91 240 dash it is..
Cheers..

Back