• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr. 65 122s project

Sounds like a good clear path you have laid out. Can't wait to follow along! I'm still up in the air on induction on my B20. I think I want to start by taking the engine out and rebuilding it the way I should have in the first place with a decked block and 10:1. If I'm still not satisfied then I'll start seriously looking into FI.

I'm fine with stock B20 FI power inputs for now. Heck I'm not totally dissatisfied with the original B18 and SUs, its the brakes I mostly want to improve. Plus I think that chasing power in these engines is high cost, low reward. I'm not drag racing it, I'm not road racing it, it's a street car, so I want it to drive like one with better stopping, reliability, and a few modern conveniences, like A/C. Electric power steering might be an option. Maybe even a decent radio :-P

A lot of the things you did on your car, like a short shifter tunnel and 1800 carpet to cover it, are things I want to do on mine as well. I'm doing a lot of the same things Canuck did too on his original 122 build like the 1031 and Wilwood. In fact he helped develop the original Wilwood brackets for 122s.

I agree on brakes, they are marginal for stock power levels but anything above that and they are merely a suggestion. I just can't see changing over to a different bolt pattern.

I'm hoping I can still run a 15 inch with the Wilwoods. Some on this board have said you can, but I won't know for sure until I start to build them. Changing to 5X108 isn't a big deal to me anymore, not with all the wheel options in that pattern that are currently available.
5x108 Heavyweight on IG has awesome wheels pop up all the time for sale in that pattern.

Good luck with the flooring!
So far so good, but I've only gotten 1 out of the 6 rooms done. Mind you I'm also painting each room, scraping the popcorn ceilings in each room, and installing can lights in each room. It will take up most of my time for the foreseeable future. I do plan to accumulate parts for the 122 throughout this year though. I'll try to at least update that even if I'm not working on the car.

Here is the first and only room I've completed so far.
171324806.jpg

171324808.jpg

171324807.jpg

I'm not sure if you're looking for opinions on the color but I'm compelled to offer that I think the Polestar Blue is really just not right for this car. It's so bright, very modern... I just feel like it's going to be like a stately professor with a tweed jacket getting sleeve tattoos and a manbun. It reminds me of the mid 2000s when I was a SAAB guy and the Viggen came out, and suddenly there were classic 900s getting painted Lightning Blue everywhere and they all looked terrible.

And Lightning Blue is a beautiful color. Polestar blue is just... bright ass blue.

Stick with your deep rich blues and greens ideas, imo.

Dang, the first room turned out great! Lot's of work, I can appreciate that. Scrapping popcorn is the worst, the absolute worst.

I'm not looking for absolute power myself, just a nice wide strong torque curve and reliable fuel delivery under every driving scenario. The Weber's are great when they are great but they are at times particular and I'm running out of patience with them, this coming from someone who has been tuning them for 15 years now. Injection isn't a cure all but it does take a lot of variables out of the equation when tuning and external variables don't effect the performance nearly as much. It's just hard to change paths and talk myself into it since a lot of the set up I'd be relying on others since it's out of my wheel house, I might be a bit of a control freak when it comes to my cars :lol:

I'm not sure if you're looking for opinions on the color but I'm compelled to offer that I think the Polestar Blue is really just not right for this car. It's so bright, very modern... I just feel like it's going to be like a stately professor with a tweed jacket getting sleeve tattoos and a manbun. It reminds me of the mid 2000s when I was a SAAB guy and the Viggen came out, and suddenly there were classic 900s getting painted Lightning Blue everywhere and they all looked terrible.

And Lightning Blue is a beautiful color. Polestar blue is just... bright ass blue.

Stick with your deep rich blues and greens ideas, imo.

Oh yeah I agree. The more I looked at it, the more I didn't like it. Nice color, wrong car. All the blue colors are off the table now.

I'm actually thinking about going with the original color, and just changing the interior color to red. I think the two colors go well together.
Here is a spray out we did at work, and a fabric sample from VP Autoparts
171325157.jpg

I am kicking around red exterior with black interior too. Beige would be more original to the car, but red looks so good in my opinion. It's really narrowed down to both colors.

Dang, the first room turned out great! Lot's of work, I can appreciate that. Scrapping popcorn is the worst, the absolute worst.

I'm not looking for absolute power myself, just a nice wide strong torque curve and reliable fuel delivery under every driving scenario. The Weber's are great when they are great but they are at times particular and I'm running out of patience with them, this coming from someone who has been tuning them for 15 years now. Injection isn't a cure all but it does take a lot of variables out of the equation when tuning and external variables don't effect the performance nearly as much. It's just hard to change paths and talk myself into it since a lot of the set up I'd be relying on others since it's out of my wheel house, I might be a bit of a control freak when it comes to my cars :lol:
Yeah I've had everything I need to inject mine for a while. I just need to do it. I have the B20 sitting on a stand, and an FI head. I may just get and IPD street torque cam kit and call it a day. I'll be using MegaSquirt3 to control it. They're relatively easy systems to set up, and there is a ton of support on this board. Plus I live pretty close to the MS master Kenny aka linuxman51

Beige and red looks amazing IMO. If going the red route, I'd consider either a light or dark brown interior. Black interior works to, I'm just not a fan of black interiors or black socks, personal preference :lol:

Beige and red looks amazing IMO. If going the red route, I'd consider either a light or dark brown interior. Black interior works to, I'm just not a fan of black interiors or black socks, personal preference :lol:

Beige and red is looking might nice there.

I do agree. I’m really just leaning to the beige and red. I think freshened up beige would look pretty good.

Last edited:
I agree the beige and red go well together, but IMO too laid back. Maybe with some period graphics, but otherwise beige is ... beige.

My car is red (originally 46/Ruby, repainted some Nissan metallic that's pretty good) with a black interior. It's muy macho, IMO would be better with brown as MattB showed earlier.

I agree the beige and red go well together, but IMO too laid back. Maybe with some period graphics, but otherwise beige is ... beige.

My car is red (originally 46/Ruby, repainted some Nissan metallic that's pretty good) with a black interior. It's muy macho, IMO would be better with brown as MattB showed earlier.

I think the red interior will be flashy enough for me. Plus the gold rims with polished lips. I also plan on blinging the sh!t out of the engine bay with lots of polished metal and chrome.

Back