• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swedbricks' 360 Rallycross project - 'Gebakje'

Swedbrick

Given that my 745 project is close to the point I set out to achieve barring an upcoming turbo upgrade and according tuning, the itch for a new project has been there for a while.
lhTkywUl.jpg

I'm also planning to move to a place where I finally have my own garage, such that I'd have the space to get into more welding and paint. Initially I started looking for a daf 66 or a classic mini, but being tall and having way too many b230 parts already I ended up buying a b200k from a volvo 360 instead:
vW2dbpDl.jpg

It came equipped with everything needed to swap it, including mounts, a different oil pan, a special water pump setup and and the potentially different flywheel?
bgjfBf8m.jpg
oLRR5iOm.jpg

These other bits came along with it as well, a full exhaust and plenty of spare parts
hc8tyRDm.jpg
7E0rOlEm.jpg

My inspiration will be these rad 343 rallycross cars, which were clearly awesome:-P
lNcXdsY.jpg

I'd hoped to be able to just swap the bellhousing onto a 340 given the price/rarity difference, given the cool transaxle design used. But resident dutch 360 expert MrBorrie explained that this wouldn't work unfortunately, so I'm on the lookout for a 360.
uqn4fZDl.jpg

Engine wise, the b200k didn't come with any reference as to where it came from making it hard to get approved, I don't mind since it has the center crank support anyway, and will be moving to a 90+ b230 block instead. I still have ITB's leftover, which in combination with some headwork, megasquirt/speeduino and a big cam should allow for some fun.
jQjYHpkl.jpg

The chassis will get an assorted list of bits from ClassicSwede, to get it rally-spec for some forrest fun. A cage will also be added, as it is still build like a DAF, and is know for being crispy after some coastal seasoning. First thing first however will be to strip the b200k and pass it on

Last edited:
Yes the hotter cam is exactly what I'm aiming for, still debating between going for a k-cam or a slightly hotter gt6. Going bigger on the valves might also be an option, although mostly low mile b200f engines have appeared locally thusfar

So slow progress, but progress non the less, finally obtained a 90+ squirter? b230 block. I initially thought I'd gotten a b230fb, but it ended up being a b230fd, still the strong one though, so no worries. 376579km's on the clock and a brand new clutch with it.
47bGUpJl.jpg

Cleaned it up with Lidl's oven cleaner after removing the EGR and pulsair system after a few days of soaking everything in wd40
RggNnabl.jpg

The pulsair ports will probably get EGT sensors as shown, by tapping to 1/8 " NPT. The EGR port will need plugging and has a MAP/IAT sensor in it for now from a VAG until I settle on the ecu I'll use
XyDqfP4l.jpg

The pan, oil pan and special waterpump setup will need transferring from the 360 block. The dip stick is also different, so I'll need to swap over the plug put in the block itself. Not sure if a different cam is installed in the b200k so I'll also check that before it goes.
i1Y1zN5l.jpg

Which also has been deep cleaned
bI3Qb5nl.jpg

UFsbhiFl.jpg

Somewhere next week I'll swap the pan and figure out if it's a block with the squirters installed. I also took a look at the clutches, and more DAF weirdness, a 215mm 24 spline clutch on the 360, compared to the 228mm 22 spline m47 clutch I also have brand new. The 360 flywheel has the 2+2 pattern, so I'll use the 940 flywheel to have a 60+2 to determine the actual rotation. The interwebz say a opel/vauxhall 228 plate with a 740 turbo pressure plate will work, so that will probably be the setup, lightened flywheel kit might also be an option as I saw those were on offer.
WO2dJCZl.jpg

New week, time to tear down the 360 engine!
iLVR1p8l.jpg

The oil represented more of a gelatine than oil, it hardly drained, so some cleanup was required
oBC39Syl.jpg

I also had to get a 3/8" socket for the sump plug, at least it has cooling fins to offset the French solution
1Arznqsl.jpg

It is cool to see the parts were made in the Netherlands
4Xy4Nmfl.jpg

The sump is much better than the stock b230 pan it appears, fully baffled on all sides of the pickup. The oil drain is in between baffles, not sure how I feel about that, that might have been why the bad oil was hard to drain. I also found some junk at the bottom of some of the baffles, so it's a trade off I guess.
l7S3JdZl.jpg

I took the time to deep clean the pump, it looked fine despite what I found, so I'm happy about that
bXMMSZTl.jpg

The offset baffle on the suction tube is also pretty interesting, I guess they couldn't get the angles right to land in the sumps center and solved it this way
tQlikaZl.jpg

So what I found to be required for the transfer: oil pump and transfer tube, oil drain tube, sump, longer sump bolts and the dipstick. Also the yellow seals were great still, interesting that there is a difference from the red b230 seals
b6yqLg0l.jpg

Next up, the b230fd for teardown
3RWOV2rl.jpg

With the b200k temporary parked
5kceWJwl.jpg

The b230fd appeared in good condition, crank was yellow, showing at least some recent oil changes. I found it came with the lager capacity pump, and was hoping to transfer the body for the extra flow, given only the top differs. Unfortunately no dice, given the stackup height was different and I did not feel like risking it with the clearance to the bottom of the 360 sump.
ahF6aI9l.jpg

Cleaned it all up and put the pump in
f66359tl.jpg

Also discovered it is a squirter 13mm rod block, so it appears to be from the same assembly run as the b230fk blocks, with the same pump as well.
9BnzkNZl.jpg

The last bit was to transfer the 360 waterpump, what a mess this was
KGWFkwxl.jpg

It cleaned up alright, 360 pumps are hard to come by, so hopefully it will live
eJt63r4l.jpg

During the install another sign the b230 engine was well maintained, clean as can be on the coolant channels
XhoVBtUl.jpg

Slapped the accessories intend on running of the block, and put it on a holding cart for now. I have my sights on a 360 that has been sitting, but who knows when I end up getting a chassis. Upping the power on the red wagon first is very tempting
gus2gr3l.jpg

Last edited:
I obtained a car! After much discussion with Borrie we agreed upon a price for his old race car such that it can be put back in action. It's the coolest 360, being a three door:cool:
kwWyluEl.jpg

The will be a lot of work involved, but I should have most of the bits to get it back together!
Psj4Z5vl.jpg

With the car in storage for now waiting for the move to a new garage, I got started on slapping all the parts for the new motor together on the dolly
ShJ07owl.jpg

I still had four unused egt sensors left over, and my 1/8NPT tap finally arrived so I got to installing those
t0x9NyHl.jpg

A 20mm forsner bit worked suprisingly well to enlarge the port openings, after pre drilling with 8.5mm for the NPT tap. I had to get a bit creative with the tapping iron but it all worked out
LOM28del.jpg

Four sensors installed
uvu2rCFl.jpg

With suprisingly little extension into the ports, but it will have to do
P8kls4Ql.jpg

The next few month will mostly be parts hunting on this project, whilst the red wagon gets some upgrades

Well parts turned out to be a donor car, whoops
zigDVEql.jpg

Borrie still had this mint donor car when I picked up the green racer, which I decided to also pick up after some consideration
vcv5yGll.jpg

o121h0Zl.jpg

It's shy of a driveline, but in great condition
0kNy6Enl.jpg

rLr7H4gl.jpg

And best a full luxury interior if I decide to go back to that in the green car:-P
nWoNkupl.jpg

zhOcar4l.jpg

Back at the storage facility I also got some proper matching feet under the green car, forgot how much stiffer these are in comparison to the 7-series.
hfKVR6ol.jpg

I also bought the cage that came originally with the green car, which I'll probably convert to a no-helmet safe half cage for street duty. (inspiration)
ZgBFaqnl.jpg

The current front bars need replacement since they are of the knee type, which is no longer allowed within most racing classes. Which can easily be done if I decide to take it racing again.
s1Xb2R8l.jpg

Pretty exited to get going with this project, a lot of fabrication will be involved, but that was what I was going for!
RELL1Qhl.jpg

I've been doing some serious soul searching in deciding the livery, starting off with this one in white, green, orange and oker yellow:
nPTd4mYl.jpg

My friends suggested a little edit:
Ca25wPil.jpg

Until I attempted a two tone, which I really like. This is what I'll work to for now, keeping the original trim as it suits the look suprisingly:
ew7avbil.png

Last edited:
I finally moved to a place to a garage, so I took last weekend to pick up the car!
VmUv6hLl.jpg

Got going by stripping out all of the remaining interior
lbNCKVEl.jpg

And proceeded with the doors
f2dUxVAl.jpg

This took more than a little convincing with the rusted out door pins
MNdEsCPl.jpg
QCG6Jovl.jpg

Whilst taking out the dash I encountered some remainders of previous repairs, unfortunately it kept on rusting so I have quite some work to do still
ifXJV3xl.jpg

To make sure it stays in place, I took to the welder to get some braces in, so I can piece it together again with bits from the rust free front I got with the car
jj7L5lLl.jpg

The welding will keep me occupied for a while, so it might take a bit for big updates again:-P

So this popped up on marketplace, a b234 block with intact pistons
M1jRs1jl.jpg

I bought it to pull the pistons, but what a curious thing
qcWNsI0l.jpg

I was suprised to find that the block was a completely different casting, making transfer of the balancing axles impossible to a regular b230
MhxLsZyl.jpg

The oil system is also completely different, with the secondary cam being removed in favor for a directly belt driven oil pump fed by this intake
pJkjDEHl.jpg

Even the engine mounts and crankcase breather are worlds apart, weirdness:-P Anyway, pistons pulled for future 16v plans!
CQ0ALANl.jpg

Building the donor

Given the mint condition of the donor car, I decided to make it into a fun little track only project for the winter, to keep me motivated through the welding on the green car. As part of that I bought this B172 (renault f3) engine that was seized with all the attachments to put a f7p/f7r/f3x engine into the volvo 340:
XYfRIaXl.jpg

With the engine I also got a set of tow hitch bumpers, given the green car is registered to be allowed to pull 1200kg's (it weighs 1000:lol:)
o4X4LuAl.jpg

After searching around a bit I found this F3N engine, which apparently got a 2.0 litre head amongst some other work from a renault mechanic:
fPrULGQl.jpg

It should be a pretty good upgrade and relatively similar in power to the 115hp b200 from the 360:
AA2euzCl.jpg

For some updates on the green car, I got a H-cam for it after exchanging the hatch with spoiler. Got to love that it fits the trunk of the 244:
buQcSuYl.jpg

And pulled the front subframe, finding this gem amongst loose bolts and improvised solutions:-P
TXhB3AOl.jpg

I also discovered that on these crazy cars, the shock tower body is also the damper, it has no cartridge. So now I am in need of a nut to suit the gaz dampers I got second hand, guess the shop corner will have to stay a bit crowded until I do:
xt6ci3Tl.jpg
efd0Me9l.jpg

Three of the four strut's I have were in decent condition, so I'll build up two and sell the rest given many of the parts are hard to find these days:
EuhNHqnl.jpg

As for the welding progress has been steady (slow) as the spot welds on these cars are far from logically place. I was optimistic I would drive this car this winter, that has been bumped to at least past the summer. I did enter the group for dutch time attack, so let's see where this car ends up:oogle:
a4YqXwNl.jpg

Last edited:
Gebakje 2.0

So after several months of slow progress and kicking the bucket, I decided the shell is too bad to save, and stripped it ready for the scrapyard
TyKLisWl.jpg

Most of the nice looking repair work was done shoddily, with rust popping up everywhere
vEIiRwXl.jpg

The spare front got cut up and returned to Borrie to save several other 300's:-P
sVBjLL5l.jpg

The complete F3N swap driveline also got sold to a guy who's planning on upgrading his daf 66 a bit, so I'm back to redblock compatibility across all of the projects
gXNXHHXl.jpg

I also got a good set of non-rusted struts put together which was kind of iffy (springs were rather soft, so it was only a slight bit of pulling) given my larger spring tensioners bound up before the spring got to enough compression. It all worked out however, and I'm ordering a set of short tensioners for next time. Also managed to snap one of the M7 (yes weird) bolts for the dust shields which were mint, so that was a bit of setback
Yz7VIobl.jpg
kn491lYl.jpg

Finally picked up the donor car for a cross-country trip, and got it home
cM8ba61l.jpg

Also took a trip to Helios Racing where I picked up a set of 3-doors folding seats to complete the interior, a 360 engine loom and some other goodies.
2V88IJ8l.jpg

K89ZuDVl.jpg

The 343 and 363 shells had completely different parkingbrake and fuel tank setups, so some brackets will have to be transferred to fit the larger tank. This is due to the variomatic fitted to the 340 taking up all of the space underneath the floor, requiring removal of the spare wheel well for a 40L tank
vK6AKCGl.jpg

Ms5eFETl.jpg

In order to swap the brakes (22cm brake drums vs 26cm brake drums) the brake line had to also be adapted
tfGDJa7l.jpg

Given the parking brake cables were also different in length and the 360 had fresh rubbers and -50mm lowering blocks, I swapped over the entire axle assembly
YPzbsX8l.jpg

h0eUExcl.jpg

I like the stance already, haven't gotten around to the front yet, but pictures should follow soon
OXRZlvjl.jpg

Got around to installing the lower front struts and swaybar. Nice and low, considering it will be lower with the drivetrain in place;)
Eza8WVWl.jpg

Also finally bought a decent brake flare tool to finish the brake line adaptation, great investment, perfect DIN flare even on the steel brakeline. Also got my GAZ rear shocks in, so those also got put in place to replace the shot koni's that were on the green car.
TUXonBcl.jpg

After pulling everything I'd need the green car got scrapped
8kgEfRkl.jpg

Saving some useful bits for my and other peoples projects of course
V59MnCzl.jpg

j6hhSvXl.jpg

In a chance conversation with a friend, I got offered this old 360 cup cage,. I'll use it for the materials to build a half cage, given the welds are garbage. The main tubes are 45x2.5 with the supports being 40x2.0 in E355/ST52 seamless steel, allowing me to eventually build it out to a fully legal FIA 253-J cage if I decide to.
pIKYhyOm.jpg
TIfdVQVm.jpg

The fit of the cage is great however, so I'll keep the front tubes for reference for the bends I'd need. Given the driver side was cut through during removal from the previous car, I'd rather get a set of new tubes for maximum safety and use the remainder to build a decent half cage first.
C91GsdBl.jpg
6Ar3pVRl.jpg

I also got some goodies for the engine build from shoestring, steel 46/38mm valves. The RSI cam will go to the wagon for now. I also got a set of B230E 10.3:1 pistons from a block I bought for the V-cam to go towards the N/A engine eventually.
4AVWK0cl.jpg

Back