home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #401
mblue240
Board Member

I don't know about CA, but I'll share what I did in OR. I had the original blue plates, beat up, in a box and new OR plates mounted on the car. I registered the car as a "special vehicle" (antiques, race cars, collector cars, etc.) then you only have to run a rear plate and you can use a vintage plates. I took the best plate I had to the DMV, they photocopy it and call it good. IMO it is well worth the extra effort. Plus in OR the special vehicle only gets registered once, so I never have to pay DMV on that car again.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #402
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
I don't know about CA, but I'll share what I did in OR. I had the original blue plates, beat up, in a box and new OR plates mounted on the car. I registered the car as a "special vehicle" (antiques, race cars, collector cars, etc.) then you only have to run a rear plate and you can use a vintage plates. I took the best plate I had to the DMV, they photocopy it and call it good. IMO it is well worth the extra effort. Plus in OR the special vehicle only gets registered once, so I never have to pay DMV on that car again.
That's a good point too. I have collector car insurance on it so I could register it as a collector car.
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #403
Coupid
Board Member

Which was does this gasket go? I think the crappy one that came with the weber blew out.

Untitled by Colin Kagel, on Flickr

Or

Untitled by Colin Kagel, on Flickr
Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #404
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Which was does this gasket go? I think the crappy one that came with the weber blew out.

Nevermind, I dug around and found that the metal side should be towards the head.

Checkout the one that came with the weber. Did I put it on backwards or was it just a huge piece of crap?

Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #405
cwdodson88
Board Member

huge POS... the ones that are perforated metallic cardboard seem to always blow out around the exhaust ports. I have recently had this happen and since the local parts house couldnt get me a FI gasket with alignment pin holes, I used the axle grease (exhaust) and ultra gray RTV (intake). So far that is holding up, but I need to get a new gasket ordered.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #406
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
huge POS... the ones that are perforated metallic cardboard seem to always blow out around the exhaust ports. I have recently had this happen and since the local parts house couldnt get me a FI gasket with alignment pin holes, I used the axle grease (exhaust) and ultra gray RTV (intake). So far that is holding up, but I need to get a new gasket ordered.
Okay that's what I thought after comparing it to the new elring one. When I was installing it as part of the Weber conversion I remember thinking it looked terrible even when it was new. the car should be a lot quieter now!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #407
brick-a-brac
Board Member

Latecomer to this thread -- just read the entire thing all the way back to the beginning. Congratulations on bringing another 72 in 107 into the fold!

------------------------
1972 142E - The Yellow Brick
2009 C30 R-Design - too curvy to be a Brick

1998 V70 T5M - The Quick Brick - SOLD
------------------------
brick-a-brac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #408
cwdodson88
Board Member

Yeah, those perfo ones can work great on wildly fubard head/mani situations, but they dont last long. I have found that a quick slather with axle grease around the exhaust ports on both sides (instead of spray on gasket dressing) and a wipe on both sides with ultra gray rtv will get them to last a few years.. sometimes.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #409
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick-a-brac View Post
Latecomer to this thread -- just read the entire thing all the way back to the beginning. Congratulations on bringing another 72 in 107 into the fold!
Thanks! You have a pretty car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Yeah, those perfo ones can work great on wildly fubard head/mani situations, but they dont last long. I have found that a quick slather with axle grease around the exhaust ports on both sides (instead of spray on gasket dressing) and a wipe on both sides with ultra gray rtv will get them to last a few years.. sometimes.
Thanks for the hints
Old 09-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #410
Coupid
Board Member

When I put the new gasket on I forgot to clean the mating surfaces. Since the last gasket failed in such spectacular fashion there was a ton of material left on the header. It took about 2 hours today but I was able to remove it and scrape the areas around the exhaust ports clean. Now the car is so much quieter!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:09 AM   #411
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid

They make full copper gaskets for the b18/20
Old 09-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #412
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK View Post
They make full copper gaskets for the b18/20
I saw some of those when I was searching around. What is the benefit, just that they won't blow out? Have you run one on any of your cars?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #413
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I saw some of those when I was searching around. What is the benefit, just that they won't blow out? Have you run one on any of your cars?
I never used one on my B20 engine, but I have a lot of experience with them on aircooled VW exhaust ports. The copper was nice because you could reuse them several times, which was handy on a race engine that came apart pretty often. The downside is that it was hard to get them to make a complete seal. Luckily, they were only used on the exhaust side so a leak wasn't that big of a deal. I would be a little hesitant to use them on the intake side, because an intake leak can cause a huge problem. And I'd be especially hesitant on a B20 that has the intake and exhaust on the same gasket, and tends to already have sealing issues especially with aftermarket manifolds.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #414
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
I never used one on my B20 engine, but I have a lot of experience with them on aircooled VW exhaust ports. The copper was nice because you could reuse them several times, which was handy on a race engine that came apart pretty often. The downside is that it was hard to get them to make a complete seal. Luckily, they were only used on the exhaust side so a leak wasn't that big of a deal. I would be a little hesitant to use them on the intake side, because an intake leak can cause a huge problem. And I'd be especially hesitant on a B20 that has the intake and exhaust on the same gasket, and tends to already have sealing issues especially with aftermarket manifolds.
Okay cool, that's sort of what I thought when I came across them.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #415
Coupid
Board Member

We finally got the photos back from our wedding, here are a couple of us driving off to the reception in the 142:

Old 10-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #416
bmessina
Board Member

What is the color code? My 145 says 97 on the plate but it doesn't look yellow at all...

'61 210 - Murf
'69 145 - Charlotte (PO gave her that name, I just can't take it away!)
bmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #417
Coupid
Board Member

Mine is 107
Old 10-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #418
Sine Qua Non
American Psycho

Congrats on the wedding.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #419
V-O-L-V-O
Board Member

Fantastic wedding pics...congrats!!!
72 145 SPORT
74 144GL 1444941 A
V-O-L-V-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #420
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Qua Non View Post
Congrats on the wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-O-L-V-O View Post
Fantastic wedding pics...congrats!!!
Thanks!!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #421
toms_elleck
Board Member

Whoa! Awesome Volvo wedding participation, and fantastic pictures.
Congratulations!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #422
Coupid
Board Member

The car has been running okay and I am too busy to really play around with it much. That being said at freeway speeds if I really got on the throttle the car would buck like it were running lean. Since I drive like a grandmother this was hardly ever an issue.

Tonight I had some free time and pulled the main jets out to take a look. Somehow they were set at 150-135. I bumped the 135 up to a 145 and low and behold it has great throttle response at all RPM range and loads!

With a 50-45 idle circuit the idle seems a little high even with the idle mixture adjusted in (1100rpm). What sort of primary idle jets are you guys running on B20s?
Old 11-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #423
TurboES
Board Member

My B20 with D cam shaved F head. Im using wideband A\F gauge. It gets lean for second when I open it very gick.
42 42
150 140
165 180
TurboES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 AM   #424
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboES View Post
My B20 with D cam shaved F head. Im using wideband A\F gauge. It gets lean for second when I open it very gick.
42 42
150 140
165 180
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #425
Coupid
Board Member

I had been meaning to do this for a while but it was such a pain that I kept putting it off. The trunk struts were totally blown. Luckily I never really put anything back there so it wasn't that critical. I bought some replacements from a TB'r and finally bit the bullet and got them installed. Low and behold my trunk is erect!

The culprits:

I ended up having to pull the trunk off the hinges and the hinges off the body to get the old struts off.