home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2021, 05:02 AM   #1
Yezzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Default AW71 Vibrating in seccond gear

Since I have swapped a B230FK with an AW71 in my 244, I have severe vibrations in seccond gear. Especially under load.
The engine pretty much stock, running +-0.5 bar boost and the transmission has the accumulator mod and the IPD overdrive solenoid bypass installed.

I bought the transmission untested but was told it came out of a running and driving car.
Yezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
2 old for this
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Ever since I swapped all of the drive train in my Bertone there has been a shudder when you start to move. I think my torque arms are to blame. Yours my be the drive shaft support.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

it's unlikely to be the transmission internals causing the vibration, it's more likely to be a driveshaft balance issue or driveshaft support issue. (also make sure the engine isn't torqueing over enough to cause contact elsewhere in the driveline)
__________________
"They bum rushed them in their own crib, they drank all their beer, they partied with their ladies and they left with the trophy"

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

Was the flywheel (or flex plate) removed from the engine during the trans swap? Is yes, verify that it is installed correctly.
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Yezzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Was the flywheel (or flex plate) removed from the engine during the trans swap? Is yes, verify that it is installed correctly.
It was removed but to my knowledge it has been installed like it should. Can you even mount it wrong and stull have a running engine? Since the ecu needs the correct signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
it's unlikely to be the transmission internals causing the vibration, it's more likely to be a driveshaft balance issue or driveshaft support issue. (also make sure the engine isn't torqueing over enough to cause contact elsewhere in the driveline)
The enginemounts are fresh diesel mounts so it ist moving that much. You might be right on the driveshaft part. I got it seperated when I bought the 4 speed so it might be misaligned.

Is there any way I could confirm someting like that?
Yezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
2 old for this
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Rear shaft front joint must mirror front shaft rear joint.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
hiperfauto
The Librarian
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

Think of the front half of the shaft as though it didn't have a slip joint. The yokes must be aligned like the rear half. When assembled, the yokes on the front half should be offset 90° from the rear half. You can still be 180° off so if you still have a vibration try the other way.

Look closely, some of the shafts have an arrow stamped into them. If so, align the arrows.

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:48 AM   #8
Yezzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Think of the front half of the shaft as though it didn't have a slip joint. The yokes must be aligned like the rear half. When assembled, the yokes on the front half should be offset 90° from the rear half. You can still be 180° off so if you still have a vibration try the other way.

Look closely, some of the shafts have an arrow stamped into them. If so, align the arrows.
I had been on the lookout for alignment arrows. Sadly I could find them. Ill try flipping the rear half this weekend, thanks for our input!
Yezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.