• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 GT register

That's a fine looking GT. I would think a nice GT is getting upwards of a 8-10k$ car nowadays. They are very rare now that the rust bug has eaten so many of them.

Thanks for your reply! My gut was giving me a dollar amount in that ballpark too.

Trying to find any 242 to buy is getting more difficult, and the fact that GTs were only made for 3 years gives them some added value.

Yesterday I dug through the service history and came across the Volvo branded cassette tape that came with the factory accessory stereo and an R-Sport catalogue. Really cool stuff!

Just because it?s rare doesn?t mean it?s desirable

At the end of the day USA spec ones are mostly just a visual package

You're absolutely right. At the end of the day GTs are just a few bolt on suspension mods and some stripes away from plain-jane 242s.

But there is also a reason the Volvo enthusiasts decided to build a worldwide register to see how many GTs are still on the road.

Surely some people must still find them desirable, right?

Some folks may not find them desirable but the market does value them as one of the most collectible 240s. At least that is what is written in my Volvo Buyers guide. The main difference in the USA models is the engine. Of course the euro models also got the good headlights. But both things could be upgraded on a US model and I don't think it would affect the value as you are bringing the car to rest of the world spec.

242 GT striping gezocht/surch

Kan iemand mij hier mee helpen aub?

Mijn 242 GT is zo goed als klaar , nu de originele GT striping nog

Wie kan mij helpen

MVg
Dirk

Can someone help me with this please?

My 242 GT is almost ready, now the original GT striping still

Who can help me?

MVg
Dirk

What year is your car? There are 2 different kits.

As well as restoring R-Sport and GT instrument clusters Roger also sells stripe kits.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=192198

You can also buy them from VP but they cost more.

https://vp-autoparts.se/sv/artiklar/stripesats-242gt-1978.html

https://vp-autoparts.se/sv/artiklar/stripesats-242gt-1979-80.html

Got my 79 GT in Boston about a year and a half ago...Bought it sight unseen,paid too much ,trusted too much but thats fine with me,as I can handle all the needed repairs in house...I knew what was on my radar,and when it bleeped ,I locked in on it...Ironically enough the car was originally from about an hour from me in NC,and had only been in Boston a couple years,which destroyed the pans and rear quarters...The owner looks like he tried to run the car with molasses instead of fuel...and washed the car regular with 80 grit...He was an "enthusiast" A lunitic I think...but no worries...Its not my first Volvo by a long mile VINVC24245M1165404

I didn't see my VIN posted here. It is a 1979
VIN# vc24245M1156277. The car wasn't registered since 2010 until recently. it's rusty and ugly but I am out driving it, like it was meant to be!

Another one I got my hands on a while back that I believe was a GT car? it's currently cut up and being used as parts. it was basically an empty shell. It had no drivetrain, nearly nothing left inside and it was all hacked up. I got the sway bars on my 245 DL right now and a handful of other parts were robbed.

VIN tag reads 242 E2 244501
let me know if it's not, I will delete this post.

i looked at this one in Virginia, don't know where it got sold to.
non-turbo 1980 242 GT, #VC24245A3179876. Silver, no pin striping due to a repaint.

wnzdn1o.jpg

nAKoqA5.jpg

Y5w7Kl1.jpg

GnZdmJQ.jpg

Last edited:
Another one I got my hands on a while back that I believe was a GT car? it's currently cut up and being used as parts. it was basically an empty shell. It had no drivetrain, nearly nothing left inside and it was all hacked up. I got the sway bars on my 245 DL right now and a handful of other parts were robbed.

VIN tag reads 242 E2 244501
let me know if it's not, I will delete this post.
That would be a 242 Turbo, most likely, from 1984.

Greetings, I have a 1980 232gt- VC24245A3186392 Canadian built. Located in Western NC. I will post phots later.

Back