• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dorango Brown - 'Brownie' - 1980 242 DL

Okay. Trying to do some updates. I'll get back to where I left off previously soon. So I pulled out motor again because I wanted to clean up and polish the engine bay. It was looking raggedy to me. I cleaned and scrubbed pretty hard. Then I proceeded to hand polish engine bay. In the beginning, it was looking like I was getting somewhere but after a few days I got tired. I could not polish this turd of an engine bay.

I had a go to place for sandblasting. I went and got a quote(price increase of course) and that did not pan out. What can you do... So I was able to get my hands on a gas air compressor that pumped out enough cfms to get the job done. It took about 3 days(around 3-4 hours each day). I was constantly having issues with the Harbor Freight spot blaster that I purchased(this made everything take longer until I figured why I was having issues). It took another few days to do the front sheet metal pieces. I had to construct a make shift outdoor blasting area out of some 2x4s and plastic sheeting.

This is the result.

50731966627_df98c24a07_c.jpg

Make shift blasting tent

50731141493_986da6d9d6_c.jpg

I went ahead and welded the underside of my patch panel(had plenty of room)

50731870701_1cbe5f8b48_c.jpg

Epoxy primer time

50731870541_982210f72f_c.jpg

50731869711_16198b0586_c.jpg

Wow thats a clean bay. Congrats !!!!

It's some of the most mind-numbing, tedious work you'll ever do but its worth it. I didn't have my sandblasting setup dialed in which made it take forever. If you have the chance to do it, you'll be so happy that you did it.

It's some of the most mind-numbing, tedious work you'll ever do but its worth it. I didn't have my sandblasting setup dialed in which made it take forever. If you have the chance to do it, you'll be so happy that you did it.

I'm fully regretting not doing my bay before swapping my 242, especially after seeing how good yours looks

You can still do it. Just pull motor/trans out if it's all sorted. I had the motor/trans in and pulled it out to clean engine bay. I said frick it and just did it. I did lose a lot of time but it had to be done. The whole car is getting repainted anyways once its running.

Sandblasting !!!!

Luckily my engine bay is pretty clean. I kinds took advantage when I had the 4 banger out of the bay to prepared it for the L6 Supra engine. Just gotta fix the infamous battery spot that we all know is prone to rust. Oh Take Care and happy holidays !!!:cool:

sweet work man, I feel you on the working around the heat to get things done. Can't wait to see it all together! Engine bay turned out great.

I will update this as soon as can. I have too many projects so its hard to document everything but I'm trying as much as I can.

Back