• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Restoring an early 240 Husco cupholder armrest

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I wanted to share this for anyone else attempting to do the same thing.

I bought a Husco armrest at a great price from one of our friends here, the price was excellent due to the condition of the vinyl armrest cover. It was worn and split open on every side, and missing some hardware. I had it for a while, thinking about the best way to get it in nice condition again.

After a couple searches, I found that the Volvo unit was really rare, but they sold a lot of them for E30 BMWs. I found a NOS armrest top on eBay for an E30, and the dimensions are the same, the only difference that matters is the small threaded hole in the front, the E30 part does not have that. The screw that goes in this hole stops the cupholder part from sliding out the front.

I bought the BMW part, and ran a M8x.8 tap through the mounting bracket where that small screw goes, providing about 1 1/2 threads. A couple of washers for a spacer and a lock washer got it secured really well.

I also bought a set of hardware for the E30 armrest, to have it all matching in a Volvo you need 2 sets of that hardware.

It now looks great, the only issue is that the cupholder slides in and out way too freely. I tried to squeeze the bracket to tighten it up, but that isn't working. Any ideas are welcome. Looks great now at least!

Cracked up vinyl cover, super ugly

iMJM8zZl.jpg

BMW cover installed, perfect

lcoFRINl.jpg

Comparison of BMW E30 cover vs Volvo, you can see the threaded insert in the Volvo cover

pkFexyDl.jpg

Proper amount of washers plus a lock washer haha

dcVjisKl.jpg

Last edited:
And to think E30 guys call these rare (my brother owns bimmers or ide never know), looking good with those rareparts

Super happy with it, thanks! Part 2 will be remaking the center support that goes inside the console so it sits exactly the way I want it to.

Feels good to make it like new again. I had quite a debate about installing this vs the perfect ratcheting armrest I have, but my lady always wedges drinks between the E brake and the seat and that is really annoying when I park the car.

Back