• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sodium Exhaust Valves?

johfraser

Did turbo 240's have sodium exhaust valves? When I rebuilt my 81 240DL back in 1999, I was buying parts from some warehouse that was closing and so had low prices. My memory is vague but I seam to remember buying sodium exhaust valves just because they were available.

To clarify, regular valves have a thinner head, concave in the combustion chamber face. The sodium valves are chunkier, having a flat face with a dimple in the center of the face.

To clarify, regular valves have a thinner head, concave in the combustion chamber face. The sodium valves are chunkier, having a flat face with a dimple in the center of the face.

Yup, and the sodium filled valves are very much "tulip" shaped as well.

My machinist said the sodium filled valves are fine. He did have inconel available and I did have him put them in my modified 531 head. But the sodium valves in my turbo engine had 275k on them without issue and I never had one fail in my turbos. So for that 405 head swap I used stock sodium valve at half the price of the inconel.

Back