• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who here is a Volvo tech?

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Need to talk to somebody about two cars, one I have, and one I might buy, specifically, p2 r's.

Put down a $100 deposit on a 6 speed s60r with what I thought was a blown head gasket though it apparently is possible to crack the cylinders.

Blows plumes of white smoke, but has no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

Cracked sleeve?

Last edited:
Need to talk to somebody about two cars, one I have, and one I might buy, specifically, p2 r's.

Put down a $100 deposit on a 6 speed s60r with what I thought was a blown head gasket though it apparently is possible to crack the cylinders.

Blows plumes of white smoke, but has no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

Cracked sleeve?

giphy.gif

You need a leak down test to determine the true nature of the damage.

Of course it is possible to have a cracked sleeve, or head or failed gasket... but everyone will just be guessing until you get actual numbers.

Cracked sleeve?

Possible, but not terribly likely. HG probs are pretty uncommon. Possible cracked block.

What yr? miles?

I would say cracked block.

R block is the same as in s60/v70 badged 2,4T - engine code: b5244t3. Same capacity 2435 but different header due to doubled vvti wheel.

If they managed to blow the head gasket/cook the engine that should give you an idea on how the rest of the car was treated. P2R's turn in to deep money pits if you buy a neglected example.

I am.

Liners are likely cracked. Head gaskets never go on these. Nor do heads crack.

It doesn't always mean the car was abused. In my years, I've found that most cracked liners are in cars where- they've had a ****ty tune, or a good tune and ran regular gas. Or, the biggest reason- the car is driven in an extremely hot climates.

Over the years, that is what I've come to notice. The intercooler system isn't the best. Things get heat soaked. Things get hot. Liners crack.

I buy and sell R's all the time, because for me, as a Volvo tech, can fix them up way cheaper than any hobbyist or consumer can. Then I sell them off or drive them for a season and sell them for the next one. I like keeping them on the road.

Jordan

This.

Contrast/Gustav, one of the tuners on SS says that the stock R tune has too much timing, plus the funky stock dual intercooler system doesn't work that well.

I am.

Liners are likely cracked. Head gaskets never go on these. Nor do heads crack.

It doesn't always mean the car was abused. In my years, I've found that most cracked liners are in cars where- they've had a ****ty tune, or a good tune and ran regular gas. Or, the biggest reason- the car is driven in an extremely hot climates.

Over the years, that is what I've come to notice. The intercooler system isn't the best. Things get heat soaked. Things get hot. Liners crack.

I buy and sell R's all the time, because for me, as a Volvo tech, can fix them up way cheaper than any hobbyist or consumer can. Then I sell them off or drive them for a season and sell them for the next one. I like keeping them on the road.

Jordan

These don't blow headgaskets unless they are badly overheated. If it's misfiring when cold, pressurizing the coolant system, and loosing coolant, the liners are probably cracked.

I'd run.

Hunt around and find a 05+ T5, They can even be had with the M66. Same turbocharger setup as a R but with the thicker walled 2.4 block.

Back