• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spring rates of IPD sport springs: 240 wagons vs. 240 sedans

Epic2112

I have a set of IPD sport springs for my 240 sedan, and I'm expecting to purchase a 240 wagon soon. The spring rates of the rear springs are different, does anyone know exactly what the spring rates of each are?

While we're on the topic, I'd actually like to go a bit stiffer that the IPD sport springs, do any online Volvo places sell a more aggressive set?

Thanks guys!

That's top secret information around these parts.
Typically you'll need to buy a couple or 3 sets to figure it out.
FCP has the front 79GT R sport copies.

I have genuine 79GT fronts,and rear wagon overloads,and it still rides nice.

I have a set of IPD sport springs for my 240 sedan, and I'm expecting to purchase a 240 wagon soon. The spring rates of the rear springs are different, does anyone know exactly what the spring rates of each are?

While we're on the topic, I'd actually like to go a bit stiffer that the IPD sport springs, do any online Volvo places sell a more aggressive set?

Thanks guys!

There are a few versions of iPd springs, early and late (possibly more) ..newer ones are blue I think, lower and more lb per inch

holy crap redwood....keep 'em coming!!

I actually have a set of Eibach 13" springs at a spring rate of 225 lbs. Plenty stiff, sit about the same height as IPD lowering springs, from my eyeball caliper. But you'd have to add another spring mount at the bottom (bolted to trailing arm) to use them. Not using them now ;-)

Well woulda lookit that. I'm being a wise arse and get a double-posty myself.

Last edited:
So it sounds like it's up to me to experiment and figure out what works, eh? Is there anyone that sells a complete set of springs that are stiffer/lower than the IPD springs? I could have sworn I saw a retailer that did, but now I can't find them...

So it sounds like it's up to me to experiment and figure out what works, eh? Is there anyone that sells a complete set of springs that are stiffer/lower than the IPD springs? I could have sworn I saw a retailer that did, but now I can't find them...

Most people end up using either 2.5" dia or 5" dia springs of a known rate from a race car supplier such Colman or Pegasus Racing.

Most people end up using either 2.5" dia or 5" dia springs of a known rate from a race car supplier such Colman or Pegasus Racing.

Which is what I did with Pitstopusa.com. They carry many different spring size, rates, and manufacturers, at fantastic prices. If you want to personalize your ride with a "set" of springs, I'm afraid you're SOL.

**This is not a paid advertisement for the aforementioned website***

Back