• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Better options for steering racks?

I got a zf kit and figured out how to get the plastic end plug out (turn cc, the wire retainer spirals out) but my rack and tube had too much corrosion from water in the fluid. Need to buy some cores. Couldn?t find kits for cam. Rock auto offers a cam rebuild service.

240z people use subaru racks. I bought a faster 05 rack for my 03, i compared it to datsun and volvo a while back, but need to revisit that.

I had a type 3 I pulled apart to rebuild, replaced most seals but got distracted by more pressing issues. It?s really not all that difficult just kind of a pita, the type 3 has a few different seals that all look about the same size but they?re ever so slightly different. I could not remove the banjo bolts without a welder and nuts though.

Wider xratty rack would give you more bump steer but also slightly quicker steering from the tie rod being closer to the strut, increased load but with the power assist I?m sure you could turn it up some. I love Toyota steering, wish I had it in a Volvo

Can?t find set numbers but C4 rack appears to be close to 44mm of travel per turn. ZF is what 56mm? C4 rack uses the same threads as the ZF I?m pretty sure

Last edited:
I got a zf kit and figured out how to get the plastic end plug out (turn cc, the wire retainer spirals out) but my rack and tube had too much corrosion from water in the fluid. Need to buy some cores. Couldn?t find kits for cam. Rock auto offers a cam rebuild service.

Rockauto just offers rebuild service for the zf rack.

Rockauto just offers rebuild service for the zf rack.

Someone mentioned that they sent a CAM rack in on the RockAuto "ZF" rebuild service and got it rebuilt just fine.

I just called Cardone directly and they confirmed that the rebuild service can be done to CAM/TRW racks as well.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned that they sent a CAM rack in on the RockAuto "ZF" rebuild service and got it rebuilt just fine.

I just called Cardone directly and they confirmed that the rebuild service can be done to CAM/TRW racks as well.

for how much?

Finding a good ZF type 3 core not run with open boots full of sand/water/rust is getting a little difficult.
I may sell some good evaluated cores but I?m hoarding all 5 for me & friends right now?

Slightly different pressure spec on last couple years if you want to run the later ?85+ style pressure regulator valve & pump but not much different?

So many racks per year & variations they the years, narrow year range to get desirable ZF type 3, all those donors are pre galvanized body for USA donor cars or developed a leak with shrunken seals even if the gears were good snd leak often dissolves the boots in cars run around sans belly pan for some years now being driven into ground/abused bad when the cars were cheap / last decade has been hard on them for good cores.

Sellholm sells faster guts.

Or electric + rare bear(in the states) replaced 1979+ 19mm spline ZF manual rack & 2.5 turn guts for it?
1980 is last year of manual rack in states, only cars I?ve ever see a ZF manual rack were installed as replacement stateside to replace a worn out cam manual rack. Rare.
Europe probably has ZF manual rack cores if oj want to do the electric column thing with less in the engine bay?
I rather like hydraulic PS, but hydraulic PS rack with 249 travel/geometry in front mount has kinda gone the way of the dodo?

The cam racks are junk and often have worn gears which no one repops, unless you?re just installing a low miler late cam TRW that works *at all*, avoid.

Skinny(ish) tires, -?79 steelies or similar with inboard offset, taxi ball joints, stock right height, ZF type 3 code evaluated carefully with good gears and no rust or slop inside.
No fuss.

Sellholm guts for it if you got the dough & (dollar exchange rate favorable lately) If you can assemble yourself.

Short of losing your mind with completely different X-member & suspension everything?

Mine just puked out both ends, I haven?t looked into it much but a friend of mine was talking about doing a Prius electric rack swap, if someone can find the specs on that it might be a nice upgrade, we have enough priuses in the yards. I have a Vanagon ZF steering rack that looks near identical to my 240 ZF rack. Odds of finding those probably aren?t much better though
I think your talking about Mr. With the prius epas I still need the rack, but a zf block off plate is my plan.

Crazychopstick just sent one in and got rebuilt through rock auto with great success.

How different are the 740/940 steering racks to the 240 racks? Could you fit one if you would use different tie rod ends (iirc the 740 racks are about 50mm wider than the 240s) and a different coupler (tooth count is different)?

Last edited:
What years had the ZF rack?
My '78 used to have a leaky ZF rack but back in ~2010 I swapped a '89 Cam rack and I scrapped the ZF. Damnit.

My ?80 came with a cam rack and 84 came with a ZF, found CAM/TRW in 90+ 240s. Somebody flipped a coin for each car on the assembly line to decide what rack it got

A '91 240 showed up in one of the local PnP yards. I think I'll go pull the rack on it.

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/inventory/st-louis-1586/?search=volvo

Pull boots before removing and see if it was already leaking. Even then, cam racks can have a variety of issues(stripped gears or pulls to one side). I've been lucky on 3 240 sedans that I that currently own, the cam racks work with no issue(fluid changed periodically). More common than not, they piss fluid or grind gears.

My ?80 came with a cam rack and 84 came with a ZF, found CAM/TRW in 90+ 240s. Somebody flipped a coin for each car on the assembly line to decide what rack it got

Maybe. From 79-88(I haven't owned anything older) zf racks were used. The early cars I have are 80 242,81 245,83 245, 82 242,83 244 and these all have zf racks(they're all good). The newer 240s I have 89-93 all have cam racks.

^^^ What was said above. Change the oil annually and the rack will last longer and run smoother. A snake oil I have had success with for steering is Moly Slip. Seemed to help the steering racks I've used it in.

Back