• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Rear Muffler Delete?

Keep the rear muffler and get rid of the front muffler. Removing the rear muffler will make your exhaust loud, the front muffler (resonator) is similar to a glasspack muffler, straight thur flow, and will not change the exhaust sound much.

That said, isn't the front muffler a next to free flow muffler? Sound isn't much of an issue, more wondering about gas mileage/low end torque.

Last edited:
Pulled the cat from my 83 (no emissions testing here for old cars) and saw much bigger difference than the front muffler. That is with the 2 1/2 inch exhasut all the way back.

No performance issues at all, more curious about gas mileage, and if there was any gain that could be made. Would deleting the front muffler (resonator?) have any big impact?

Thanks guys!

I just deleted the rear muffler on my 960. (Big, nasty inline 6.) It's not loud much at all and it sounds GREAT! I love it and I can still daily drive it with no problems of noise or anything. It feels like it has more HP, too, but that's probably just my imagination. I predict my car will pass inspection no problem with the rear muffler delete. (It's not loud and it still has a "muffler" as far as they're concerned.)

The rear box muffler is the restrictive, quiet one, and the front is just a resonator. The front resonator will keep it quiet enough and it will sound great when you get on the gas. I love it. A few other guys here in TB have done the rear muffler delete too, and they've all said it's totally worth it from what I've heard.

Gas mileage would probably improve slightly due to less restriction in the exhuast, but due to moar awesomez soundeds you'll be on the throttle more and you'll get worse mileage. I know that's what happened to me... Lmao.

I say do it. A piece of tubing measured up and bent for me was $40, and I welded it on. I welded on a piece of round bar to utilize the hanger, too. You don't have to weld it though, there is room to clamp in there.

Good luck!

P.S. Deleting the front muffler wouldn't do much, as it's pretty free flowing. Deleting the rear muffler is where you get your gains.

I'm not a fan of removing the cat. Its actually illegal in many places, as it violates EPA laws.

I have not done a rear muffler delete, but it will probably be unpleasant to drive as a DD.

I an only imagine what Canada is like with vehicular restrictions. I wouldn't doubt Trudeau requires a covid passport to drive these days. In the states, even the most oppressive ones, like NYS are a visual only on 97' and earlier. Check engine lights and on board emissions aren't required.

The cat is the most restrictive and harmful piece of any exhaust system, especially on a diesel or a turbo engine.

The center muffler is straight through, a resonator and helps to eliminate drone, and some noise.

The rear muffler is the 2nd worse restriction in the system, next to the cat.

There is a big difference in sound between a turbo and a N/A 240. A turbo, off throttle will always be quieter as the turbo itself cancels sounds.

I'd pull the cat first, but if you are choosing between the middle muffler or rear, i'd delete the rear. The good news is, all three are easy to remove and replace. So play around and see what you like

Last, remember these are anemic, low compression, tiny displacement engines. They aren't capable of making much noise, but they are an inline which are the loudest and most droning type of engine you'll find.

I'd pull the cat first, but if you are choosing between the middle muffler or rear, i'd delete the rear. The good news is, all three are easy to remove and replace. So play around and see what you like

Chances are pretty high that guy doesn't even have the car anymore almost 14 years later.

Nice bump. :lol:

Back