• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The New And Improved Engine Oil Thread

When I was browsing Summit Racing. They seemed to have three kinds of oil. Regular oil with the reduced ZDDP, an off road or racing oil which has the zinc and full on racing oil which had lots of zinc and was not legal for road use. :e-shrug:

Racing oil is for racing. intended to get drained after every race.

I'm usually a skeptic about oil additives that make the claims this stuff does, until I see some real evidence.
I saw this video recently. It actually restored some serious compression in his old Ford diesel tractor engine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hr8jIwVyIFE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then he did a ONE YEAR follow-up and things were great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIu3oo8z4c

So I was wondering what kind of material in an additive could do that. This article explains it pretty well. CSL micro particles (copper, silver and lead). It's not for all engines, but it does seem to improve compression in most high-mileage engines if you follows instructions.
https://rxmechanic.com/engine-restore/

Dave

I've used Wal-Mart brand Super Tech dino oil for years, with no issues.

Now they don't stock dino oil; it's either a blend or pure synthetic.

Where can I source reasonably price dino oil these days?

Years ago I had a 81 245 that was burning oil. The PCV system was completely clogged and oil was leaking out of the engine as well as being burned. I used a can of Restore and did the PCV mod like in my thread. After that the engine easily passed emissions and it drove well for many years after I sold it. That stuff worked well.

So I was wondering what kind of material in an additive could do that. This article explains it pretty well. CSL micro particles (copper, silver and lead). It's not for all engines, but it does seem to improve compression in most high-mileage engines if you follows instructions.
https://rxmechanic.com/engine-restore/
I know you're trying to be helpful but, that place does not pass the smell test.

Here's some of what I found questionable:
In the section
Q: What Causes Loss of Compression in an Engine?"

they list "Splintered Cylinder Walls" "Weakened Timing Belt"

WTH is this?

Q: How Long Does Engine Restore Last?

...As a matter of fact, compression tests(using a top-notch engine compression tester) taken several months after the engine additive was used revealed that its effect still lasts after a while.

After a while. OK. :-P

I've used Wal-Mart brand Super Tech dino oil for years, with no issues.

Now they don't stock dino oil; it's either a blend or pure synthetic.

Where can I source reasonably price dino oil these days?

Walmart Diesel 15w40 and a Supertech ST16 filter for the NA Volvos in my life.
Rotella T6 for powersports toys and the F150, Camry still hasn't settled in on a favorite, been using T6 in it as well. OEM filters for Camry, F150, Toys. Ford FL1A filter for the 242.

Want to try out Mobil 1 15w-50 with the oil change this week instead of the usual delo 15-40, hope there aren't any problems going from conventional to fully synthetic.

Last edited:
First day on M1 15w 50 synthetic instead of delo 15w-40 and I like it. Less piston slap noise when the engine's cold. Also liked that it said extra zinc right on the container, not that it matters too much for a b230ft, but it's good nonetheless.

As a synthetic, it should handle heat better which is great for the turbo in SoFla summer. I'll keep posted whether I see any exacerbated leaks or anything. Also, maybe, just maybe I might see an impact on mileage; as I currently get ~13mpg, one can only hope. So far, happy with the switch.

Back