• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Longer wheel studs for 760

Angus242164

I've just been doing some experimenting with some parts I've got, and I've determined that I can fit Virgo's to the 1990 740 ABS struts/hubs/brakes I've got, if I use 8mm thick wheel spacers. I will also need to grind a very small amount (~1.5mm) from the corners of the caliper brackets to stop them scuffing, but that's no big deal.

These are available aftermarket easily enough, 8mm seems to be a standard thickness, but for peace of mind I would like to use longer wheel studs, as the standard studs don't protrude through the Virgo's as much as I'd like.

I have heard that Ford studs can be used, can anybody give me info on these, eg: how much longer they are etc?

Also, the ABS hubs have the signal ring for the ABS sensors pressed on to the back of them, which look like they will interfere with removing and replacing studs. Is it hard to remove these rings? These struts/hubs/brakes are going on an '85 760 so none of the ABS components are needed.

Finally, will altering the offset this much (wheels will sit 8mm further out) on the front of the car have any impact on handling?

Any help is appreciated.

Angus242164 said:
Finally, will altering the offset this much (wheels will sit 8mm further out) on the front of the car have any impact on handling?
Don't Virgos differ from most 700-series wheels, in terms of offset, by about that amount anyway?

I'm not sure, perhaps somebody can tell me what offset the 15" 700 series alloys have, and what offset Virgo's have?

Even if it does change a bit I can't really see it having a negative impact on handling, I've had various different offset wheels on the 242 over the years and they never made a noticable difference to handling, at least not on the front end of the car.

virgoes are all the same offset and diameter and yali yada, the reason why it's not fitting on your brakes is jumbo style, Virgoes won't clear jumbo brakes upfront without using spacers, try to use 5mm spacers, 5mm is the max you can use with stock studs.

I'm afraid 5mm won't cut it unless I grind metal from the calipers and from inside the Virgo's, even 8mm spacers will still require some slight grinding of the calipers, hence I need to find some longer studs.

I called Volvo yesterday about the longer studs mentioned in another thread. They were on backorder (in Canada) and were $29 each!! I remember something about some Ford Ranger stud that is supposed to work. Towery mentioned he was using Ford studs in his car but had to weld them to the hub because the spline was wrong...

15x6 700 series wheels are 25mm offset. Virgos are 15x6 and 20mm offset. Since someone asked about the difference in offset, you'd actually need a 5mm spacer with the 25mm offset wheel to match that of the Virgo. 8mm spacer with a Virgo makes 13mm offset.

I use 1" spacers on the front of my car now with 760T wheels (ET25) and Virgos (ET20). With 225/50 and 0 offset, it fit fine. And of course with 205/50 and -5 offset, still fits fine.

The studs I'm using are 3" long. With no spacer, there's about 1.5" of stud sticking out of the wheel (estimated). With 1" spacers, the quick-start nub still sticks out past the Virgo. I'd look for a shorter stud if you JUST want enough stud to safely run 5-10mm worth of spacer.

I would not use ANY spacer on a stock wheel stud. I believe 7 series studs are the same length, because I once had a metric 7/9-series stud installed in my car by mistake, and it was the same...just metric. They're just long enough as it is, with no spacer.

hmm, the wheels on my car must be pretty low offset, maybe 10 or less. cause fit is getting very close to the arch's. i've had to roll the rear arches already even with a 195/60/15.

Aussie Volvo said:
700 have a different wheel stud compared to a 200 series. The diameter and the thread pitch are different

A 700 series wheel nut will not fit on a 200 series
M12x1.5 vs 1/2"x20tpi. Threads are different, but otherwise I think they are the same (knurl size & length). I haven't held a 7/9-series stud next to a 240 series stud, but the 7/9 stud that was installed on my 240 obviously did fit, and it was the same length as the other 4 studs on the hub that were 1/2".

Definitely don't mix & match, which is why I immediately went back to the shop that installed the metric stud in my 240. I was just putting on alloys with chrome lugnuts (and removing the open-end steel nuts), so the metric stud was a big problem.

Thanks for all the info so far guys, I wondered why I couldn't make 100/200 series wheel nuts go onto the new struts (hubs) I got. Interestingly they actually go on a fair way before they start to bind, the threads must be fairly similar.

Now that I know that they are metric studs I'll grab a late model GM wheel nut from work (metric) and see if it's the same thread, I suspect it may be. This would be convenient as it gives me cheap access to high quality anti theft nuts. Not that anybody is going to steal Virgo's, but may as well use them anyway.

I need to find out if any GM applications with the same thread use longer length studs than a standard 700 series. Maybe something Jap could also be used. Any ideas? Surely somebody else has fitted longer metric studs to a 700 series in Oz?

Karl the 740 brakes I got are the 11" discs which are slightly smaller than our 11.25"s in overall diameter, but they're 4mm thicker and less prone to warping. The calipers are single piston Girling instead of twin piston Bendix, the surface area of the pistons in both types is very close, if not the same, ie: the Girling single piston is double the size of each Bendix piston.

The main difference is that the pads in the Girlings are bigger, not sure by exactly how much but maybe 30% bigger surface area looking at them. More of the surface of the disc is utilised as well, right up to the centre part of the disc.

They won't give much of an improvement, but it should be noticable I hope, and less prone to warping is always a good thing in an automatic car.

Last edited:
3" studs, enough for 34" of spacer...

studcomparo_w.jpg

Last edited:
Back