home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #151
klr142
Turbo, what?

w00! The spring perch doesn’t change location to the tire up front.

Regarding the rear, get out two sledge hammers. Start by hammering the lips up a bit to start the folding process, then wrap your second hammer in a towel and put it on the outside of the fender. Use your other mallet to smash the lip up to the outside of the fender. Also make sure you clean the area of dirt buildup first, otherwise you’ll be smashing dirt. This will also make this area even more prone to trapping dirt in the future but I think it’s a better situation than just cutting the fender lip. You will break the paint where it’s folding over, but, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Then a fender roller at some point can get you more room after that.

Don’t worry about what the wheels look like up close. Rock’m!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #152
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Do you have any adjustable panhard rod on the rear? If there's more clearance on the passenger side (I bet there is), you could shift the axle to the passenger side and gain some clearance.

For cleaning up those wheels a spray on "mag wheel cleaner" works well. Since those wheels don't have the clear coat on them anymore, you can use a gnarly wheel cleaner without feeling bad.

Head work: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349975

Temp Sender Adapters: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348169
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:44 PM   #153
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
I think it’s a better situation than just cutting the fender lip.
i have zero experience with this aspect of turbobricking and will basically do whatever you tell me to do here, but i would like to know why folding the whole lip up is better than cutting it off and folding the remainder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Do you have any adjustable panhard rod on the rear? If there's more clearance on the passenger side (I bet there is), you could shift the axle to the passenger side and gain some clearance.

For cleaning up those wheels a spray on "mag wheel cleaner" works well. Since those wheels don't have the clear coat on them anymore, you can use a gnarly wheel cleaner without feeling bad.
i do not have an adjustable panhard bar. today i have tracked down a stock one and a nice man to make it adjustable for me.

the wheels are actually pretty clean (of dirt) at this point, anything left on them is just corrosion. i sanded off about 60% of the corrosion and then became irritable and stopped. next year i'll probably have them blasted clean and start fresh.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #154
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

The mag wheel cleaner will help with corrosion and making them look pretty, but you’ll want to actually polish them and seal them afterwards. It’s basically oven cleaner that eats off the oxide layer on the aluminum.

On the panhard rod, are you going with a 3/4” bolt and some nuts or a proper turnbuckle?
Old 08-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #155
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
On the panhard rod, are you going with a 3/4” bolt and some nuts or a proper turnbuckle?
i didn't know to ask, and it's being done so cheaply that i don't hugely care (or want to pester). but i'm guessing it's probably being done "right."
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #156
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Best to double check. It’s not much more money or effort to do a turnbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #157
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

If you put either type of adjuster on the axle end, instead of the chassis end like IPD, it’s pretty easy to adjust as long as you don’t have poly bushings on the chassis side.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:09 AM   #158
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
i have zero experience with this aspect of turbobricking and will basically do whatever you tell me to do here, but i would like to know why folding the whole lip up is better than cutting it off and folding the remainder.
I don’t think it really matters all that much, really. I didn’t realize you were going to flatten it after cutting. On one hand, it is easier to fold if you’ve cut them first. On the other hand, it’s a stronger piece with less bare material to rust(unless you prep and paint it after cutting) if you fold it without cutting. It’s not easy to do, either, but the sandwich method helps a lot.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #159
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

i ordered adjustable rear perches, and the panhard bar will have a turnbuckle. hopefully within the next couple of weeks i'll have a chance to have a nice time with some hammers, and get the perches in, and at least have my car on those wheels for a few weeks before it snows.

i had my boss weld the pawl in a g80 about a hundred years ago. i knew it was getting a little worn out, but now i know exactly how worn out. increasingly anxious to have a truetrac in it.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #160
klr142
Turbo, what?

There's a taillight out.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #161
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
There's a taillight out.
and a couple of turn signals. and one of the headlights is too dim even though i just put newish h4s in.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #162
klr142
Turbo, what?

Check those connections and grounds. Get'm working! Do it do it!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #163
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

it's bullshit season, so i found some blizzaks and went for a spin. i've always liked hakkapeliittas and ipikes but never tried blizzaks before. the compound feels like chewed gum.

as you can see, it sat under a tree for a while and now has leaves frozen to the paint. that's good for it, right?

i've started it a couple of times playing with the tune a little bit, trying to smooth out cold starts in the recent subzero (F) temps. every time i have, it's output a significant amount of smoke/fog which i was hoping was frozen condensation in the exhaust thawing and exiting.

so i went for my blizzak spin,

that's odd--

oh.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:44 PM   #164
brendon_ak
Board Member

Legendary car, blizzaks rule though I had great results with Nordsmans on stock steelies.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #165
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

F
Old 12-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #166
Jerd
Board Member

The turblow may have blown its last blow?
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #167
Ursan
Bored Member

Quote:
it's bullshit season, so i found some blizzaks and went for a spin. i've always liked hakkapeliittas and ipikes but never tried blizzaks before. the compound feels like chewed gum.
I've been using General Tire Altimax Arctic 12 which is basically a Gislaved Nordfrost (both owned by Continental)

Studded, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
So I’m a racist big deal who cares. Deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
I really don’t give a ra what you do but using obtuse sounds GAAAAAAY.
1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #168
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

anyway, i put another ebay turbo in it and also an aux shaft seal, and then i put forth some small efforts in regards to putting the crown vic wheels on, and then i got irritated and gave up, and got my old virgos and nankangs back and put those on, and then got annoyed at how laggy it is and spent five days doing angsty turbo window shopping, and obtained a 16t with the intent to turn it into a 19t (which is the turbo that was in it in the old days that i never should have gotten rid of), and then i calmed down and thought maybe i'll just preload the wastegate some more and adjust the cam timing a little bit.

so i have an adjustable cam gear on the way. i look forward to not swapping it in while it sits on my desk for five weeks. i hate the car and also cannot be free of it. i dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like sisyphus to his great stone.

if i am be the steward of this car, i must be able to slide it around without becoming annoyed. so i will either enact electric power steering or fold and put stock power steering back in it for the first time since 2009. i will also install the truetrac so that when i slide it, i will know my destiny, as opposed to just guessing whether the worn out g80 will or will not lock.

also,

Old 07-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #169
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Sigged
Old 07-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #170
mrak
Beefsma by Design

Just sell it and give me the truetrac.
mrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #171
swedishK
Design by Beefsma

Free yourself
...weld the diff, and proceed to everywhere.
swedishK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:23 PM   #172
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

free me
Old 07-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #173
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

are you sending me a turbo?
Old 07-27-2022, 01:56 AM   #174
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
are you sending me a turbo?
no, i didn’t capitalize on the wave of initiative before it faded. i got as far as obtaining a conical 16t and then gave up on that sub-project.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:22 AM   #175
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Fair enough.