• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Yoshifab 960 throttle adapter first impressions

sbabbs

300+ Member
300+ Club
Wow! What a difference! I did have to cut and reweld the end that bolts to the intake as it was pointing the throttle body right at the rear of my alternator. I possibly got a 240 version. I got it second hand. I'm not sure. So those bad ass welds are mine not Yoshifabs. I also welded up a bunch on the 960 throttle body outside part of the adapter so I could then port out the inside more to make a better transition. I had painted it, two times actually, but after I welded it up for the second time, I couldn't wait to put it on. Gas pedal is easier to push and boy does it respond. Can't wait to go draggin again.

yoshifab1.jpg

yoshifab2.jpg

yoshifab3.jpg

yoshifab4.jpg

yoshifab5.jpg

Simon

It fit fine, but it put the opening of the throttle body right behind the alternator and there was no way I could hook the tube from the intercooler to it like that.

It fit fine, but it put the opening of the throttle body right behind the alternator and there was no way I could hook the tube from the intercooler to it like that.

I think that's because you got one designed for use with a 16V head, where that 90 degree bend was necessary to fit a TB, because of how close it got to the left fender.
Dave B

They were designed with the idea of relocating the tb for using a 8v manifold on a 16v. I did not consider that people would ever run them on a 8v let alone a 740. I will have to update some things it looks like. Its too bad it had to be re welded.

Yeah no worries as it was still way easier then me trying to make one from scratch. I'll just buy another one when I go 16v. :) The whole throttle spool setup you came up with works great. It is a lot easier to push the pedal, and it opens up a little quicker. Perfect for my 744 race car. Thank you for designing, testing, producing and selling these fine items. I've been wanting to put the 960 throttle on my car for a while, but wasn't sure what route to take.

I'm going to have to go for another ride right now as the car is once again a new car. In second gear I can stomp on it and the tires break loose. Third gear, we'll I haven't really been able to test that as it will do over 120 in third. Gotta get to the track.

Simon

Last edited:
Quick update to the situation at hand. Throttle stuck wide open on 405 fryway in third.. Luckily I did the right thing and shut the motor off in time. Tollerances where a bit tight on the nut next to the throttle stop as it would wedge the throttle stop and stick it wide open. I fixed it of course, but finding out about it sure was fun. It probably wouldn't have stuck without the fancy powercoating, no worries as that's gone now, and it's lighter a little bit. The throttle spool overall is just fabulous as everything is right where it needs to be. I didn't even have to adjust the stop at all.

yoshifab6.jpg

Last edited:
I just modified the nut a bit. I had the same problem Simon mentioned! Think this might be from the powdercoating. Pedal feels very different, very light.
I like the throttle response. Engine sounds a bit different as well.
Overall very nice finish, welds look good. Would have liked the angle where the TB is now to be a bit different, but with a silicone coupler it works fine for me.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain it's not the mat, plus see the pic I posted? That's it in the stuck postion, meaning it's stuck there in the pic and the wedge between the throttle stop and that nut there it's jammed against. So it's wide open in that pic, notice the cable slack? I also don't have any volvo stock floor anthings in the car. I do have a carpet tile cut just right on the bottom of the floor.

When it stuck open, I pumped the pedal and it would come up and down, but throttle stuck open, then I turned off the key and hit the first exit(evert st) and popped the hood but the throttle had unstuck by then, but the cable was off...

Also yes the sound of the motor out the straight pipe is different now. Sounds way faster for sure. A quick run to the strip should answer that for sure, who knows, he he he..

Simon

it was a play on the recent wreck that was caused by 'stuck floormats'. when are you going to take it to the track?

Oct 3 for the OVT deal with all the other volvos from around here. I almost went last weekend, but was working on the throttle upgrade. Maybe this weekend, but I'll have the kid so probably not. Actually I could go on a wednesday and I think tomorrow is the last wednesday night car show draggin wed night thing of the summer...
IMG_9631.jpg

12.61 I ran last year on a wednesday night and beat this 13 second moostang.

IMG_9635.jpg

Track photographer took these pics and they are from the PIR website. This was the only pic I could find he took of the timeclock of the thousand pics he took that night. Weird...

Last edited:
..snip..

I'm going to have to go for another ride right now as the car is once again a new car. In second gear I can stomp on it and the tires break loose. Third gear, we'll I haven't really been able to test that as it will do over 120 in third. Gotta get to the track.

Simon

You should smash that thing over the hill sometime so I can get my manifold out of your trunk. :-D

Bump! Anyone else running these in any configuration with some feedback? I'm interested in possibly running one on my b230F with the 8v head, but as the engine is now it's already "fun" to drive with the drivetrain slop, 15lb flywheel, large cam, weak idle, etc. Idling around traffic and limping along at low rpm doesn't sound like it'll be fun with a larger throttle body. Is it my imagination and I'll actually just love it almost all the way around? Will I actually see a gain in power? I likely will as I would probably be changing over to full 3" intake stuff and finally getting rid of what's left of the stock airbox.

One of the questions I have is what TPS do you use with LH2.4? Would I use my current TPS on the 960TB? Would it work on it?
They were designed with the idea of relocating the tb for using a 8v manifold on a 16v. I did not consider that people would ever run them on a 8v let alone a 740. I will have to update some things it looks like. Its too bad it had to be re welded.
That's my other main question, I remember seeing/reading that you were re-working things, does the current offered part work better on an 8V setup? Do you think there's room to run the intake spacers along with one of these? I think the increased intake plenum volume will be another welcome addition this upgrade may provide.

Back