home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #1651
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Easy to apply excessive belt tension with the VW type of tensioners. When I replaced the belt on my 924 long ago. I made the belt too tight and it was screaming. Even the cam was making a sound.

I used VWs belt tension recommendation which was to turn the belt 90 degrees. I thought it had to be hard to turn but they want it rather easy to turn to check tension.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #1652
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

What a mess.. 2 things from my experience.. The thing with overtightening the belt is a bit a miracle.. It is just a bit while tightening and then you need to turn the engine over two times to check tension.. I ****ed 2 bearings with an overtightened belt and you will hear the bearings scream and get very hot if it's too tight.. Also I had to machine down the yoshifab tensioner plate one millimeter to make the belt run in the middle of the tensioner pulley cause mine started also to eat out the belts rim..

Last edited by MadDog_945; 06-13-2022 at 02:36 AM..
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #1653
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Easy to apply excessive belt tension with the VW type of tensioners. When I replaced the belt on my 924 long ago. I made the belt too tight and it was screaming. Even the cam was making a sound.

I used VWs belt tension recommendation which was to turn the belt 90 degrees. I thought it had to be hard to turn but they want it rather easy to turn to check tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
What a mess.. 2 things from my experience.. The thing with overtightening the belt is a bit a miracle.. It is just a bit while tightening and then you need to turn the engine over two times to check tension.. I ****ed 2 bearings with an overtightened belt and you will hear the bearings scream and get very hot if it's too tight.. Also I had to machine down the yoshifab tensioner plate one millimeter to make the belt run in the middle of the tensioner pulley cause mine started also to eat out the belts rim..
Missed your replies.

So far there has been zero damage to the belt itself with the tensioner barely tensioned. Guess the spring-loaded mechanism doesn't do much.

To wit, I do not like the way the belt rides at the moment. Machining down the tensioner side 1mm seems like a good idea. I'll have that done the next time the engine is apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #1654
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Got it running. Then broke it again.

I want to touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote