• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
I spotted this car in southwestern PA while antiquing with a few friends in mid-January and had to go talk to the owner. Looked the car over, agreed on a price, got some details, and figured out a time I could bring him cash. Well, today, I bought the car and got all the paperwork squared away. When the semester ends, I'm going to get a uHaul and trailer and trailer it home.

I bought it under the impression that the rebuilt cylinder head had the wrong valves installed. The owner (Ray) said that after he had the head rebuilt (burnt exhaust valve), it was spitting out of the carburetor. He figured they used the wrong size valves. After picking up a battery and some starting fluid, I got the car to idle for more than 2 seconds and was able to look around. I pulled the valve cover thinking that maybe the valves were adjusted poorly. After letting it run, I realized that a valve on cylinders 2 and 3 was not moving at all. I suspect its either a mushroomed lifter or wiped cam lobe.

I aired up the tires and took it for a lap around the block. I definitely blew a brake line or something because the full reservoir was low on one of the circuits after the "drive". All the lights and stuff work, but the blower motor doesn't come on. It's nearly rust free and was supposedly garaged its whole life up until last year.

Anyway, enough with the chat- here are the pictures. He was the 3rd owner, bought it in 08 with the burnt valve. The car still has the original key and original owners manuals with both prior owner's names. The paint is 98% original (a few touches up spots are there) and it has only 131k miles. The car was only driven 5 miles between 2008 and today, when I bought it.

sadaBefl.jpg

CwJhyDrl.jpg

BhCmqGbl.jpg

RX837UOl.jpg

Well lets see, at 131kms, it is likely the bottom end is good. So since the valve is burnt and the seat will need to be cut, might as well port the head, you know, while you are in there..... And you said the cam lobe was wiped? Better get a new cam, only one with bigger bumps so they don't wear down as fast. Skim the head, you know for gasket sealing and all. Since we went this far, a set of Weber dcoe clone throttle bodies and megasquirt. ...Then and only then should you install the 150 shot and send it.

Well lets see, at 131kms, it is likely the bottom end is good. So since the valve is burnt and the seat will need to be cut, might as well port the head, you know, while you are in there..... And you said the cam lobe was wiped? Better get a new cam, only one with bigger bumps so they don't wear down as fast. Skim the head, you know for gasket sealing and all. Since we went this far, a set of Weber dcoe clone throttle bodies and megasquirt. ...Then and only then should you install the 150 shot and send it.

The head was already rebuilt- now it needs a cam. I?m scheming to pull the head and cc it to see where my scr is at. I will do an Isky street torque cam or D cam with fresh lifters and pushrods for more fun. I may keep the HIF44?s or go to dual cable actuated DHLA/DCOE?s depending on the wanted seat dyno power.

EDIT: also rockauto aluminum cam gears

Awesome! I think I actually saw that car parked in a driveway a couple years ago! Near Uniontown maybe? Glad to see someone picked it up and is putting it back on the road. Plus then I wont be tempted buy it haha.

Awesome! I think I actually saw that car parked in a driveway a couple years ago! Near Uniontown maybe? Glad to see someone picked it up and is putting it back on the road. Plus then I wont be tempted buy it haha.

I'd put good money on this being that car. This car came from Uniontown.
Old man (3rd owner and car dealer) Ray had only driven it 5 miles since buying it from the 2nd owner in 2008, but he threw nearly $2000 in parts at it.

This bad boy showed up today- supposedly the last front only sway kit from iPD
:e-shrug:
Definitely going to drive the car before swapping it on- curious to feel the difference that people rave about. May eventually hunt down a used rear bar, but that'll wait until all the bushings are replaced.
K6wJp8vm.jpg

I'd put good money on this being that car. This car came from Uniontown.
Old man (3rd owner and car dealer) Ray had only driven it 5 miles since buying it from the 2nd owner in 2008, but he threw nearly $2000 in parts at it.

Thats great! Yup I have definitely driven past and been tempted before haha. Glad to see its getting another chance.

If ya need any parts let me know, only about an hour from Motown.

Thats great! Yup I have definitely driven past and been tempted before haha. Glad to see its getting another chance.

If ya need any parts let me know, only about an hour from Motown.

I'll definitely let you know!

Just to clarify: in order to replace the cam/lifters, I need to pull the head right?
Unless there's another way to pull the lifters that isn't obvious?

Oh the memories! When I worked at the dealer a great custermer had a near perfect 142E. He decided to let his daughter drive it to college. Some idiot ran on the hoods and trunks of all of the cars in a parking lot. He found a doner for the hood and trunk and gave me the leftovers. 142s. It turned out to be a great work car for many years.

Actively looking into an aftermarket/new/used sport steering wheel. Thinking 0 dish ~350mm momo? Not a huge fan of new wood, so will probably go with black leather.

Back