• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No direction - the build saga of an 82 242 DL

3wagons

I've been around for a bit and have been through my share of Swedish metal. Mostly as cheap daily drivers or potential projects that tend to find homes elsewhere prior to completion. After going through a small sampling of 7/9 series and a couple S70, it was time to find a 242 for a longer term project. Something more than just rack up some miles and do some routine maintenance. I've learned through owning 70 something vehicles that I cant leave anything alone, and projects tend to spiral out of control for me.

Knowing this, and myself well enough, I decided to seek out a solid 242, with my main priority being mostly rust free and straight. I was able to locate a good candidate on Facebook a couple hours away.

PoVuwdRl.png

MfmkEuDl.jpg

Its a 1982 242 DL, B21 and BW55. Its been off the road for about 12 years and has changed hands a couple times since. The interior was partially disassembled and the Kjet system has had some pieces removed and seems to be mostly gummed up from sitting. The pans are going to need some attention as well as the section that the front seats mount to that crosses the tunnel. At least the quarters and trunk area are solid.

I picked up this 89 245 from Voluparts in Atlanta for a floor pan section donor for the seat riser and what ever else it may have left.

wFZoFCTl.jpg

The goal for the 242 at this time is to get the Kjet system removed, and get the car up and running on Microsquirt as well as get the floors solid once again.

Last edited:
y4QwH3El.jpg

First things first, the drivers door handle was broke, and both sides were difficult to open. I pulled the latches and cleaned and lubed them with white silicon grease and ordered some ebay handles. Finally both doors open and close as intended.

o47RHypl.jpg

QODLJmZl.jpg

0fDX4Msl.jpg

8vgU1q9l.jpg

I was able to put the kids to work on cleaning out the years of interior crud and dead ants with the understanding that they could keep whatever change they found. Best 26 cents I have ever spent.

DazFF7wl.jpg

KzfDGE8l.jpg

R6mVZ8Ul.jpg

And a shot from under the hood, just so we have an established starting point.

phY6eqql.jpg

I purchased the 242 in February for a project, but have been forced to delay tearing into it too deeply until another, more important project was complete...
September of 2019 I had a 24x36 pole barn built and a concrete pad poured. Too many years of working in the gravel or stealing the entire carport on the house. Finally this year funds were available to get the shop closed in and after many years of having tools stashed in every conceivable place, everything now has a home.

bijR1Stl.jpg

2WvyW9pl.jpg

Kk7jhe1l.jpg

oTj4lh1l.jpg

And finally an action shot

1AAdDxWl.jpg

Im still waiting on the county to approve the electrical permit so I quit running off a 100 ft extension cord, but its solid progress.

The engine side of the Kjet harness had been replaced and was in good condition, but the section from under the dash to the engine compartment was in pretty bad shape. The electrical tape wasn't an attempt at repairing the insulation. At some point, the pigtail had been spliced.

uCP3COZl.jpg

I love your work shop. I am also super jealous. Living the dream man. I am working on a similar project except mine is an 80 and and is about 98% rust fee(some surface rust on floor pans, and possibly one small patch needed). Will you be getting a lift?

I love your work shop. I am also super jealous. Living the dream man. I am working on a similar project except mine is an 80 and and is about 98% rust fee(some surface rust on floor pans, and possibly one small patch needed). Will you be getting a lift?

Thanks, its taken a while to get to this point with the shop and I actually sold my well built 09 Tacoma 4x4 and my last project which was a LS swapped and cammed 72 Suburban to build it. A lift is coming but it will probably be next year at this rate. I need to get the electrical done and some insulation as well as building a loft for storage on the left side. I'm looking at a 9k pound Atlas 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment. The pad is already reinforced in the right side bay and well as having the 12 ft walls and scissor trusses. That gives me 14.5 ft to the peak on the inside.

That's a great base to start with and I love the shop you built. I look forward to seeing the progress on this car
Thanks! Its a solid car for the most part, but now its going to become my newest finds evil twin. I just picked this 83 242 from the classifieds and its going to remain stock so the white 82 will probably end up being the autocross/trackday car eventually. I probably need someone to talk me out of swapping a late model front end and 6 panel tailights onto it.

jvPjNrDl.jpg

Thanks! Its a solid car for the most part, but now its going to become my newest finds evil twin. I just picked this 83 242 from the classifieds and its going to remain stock so the white 82 will probably end up being the autocross/trackday car eventually. I probably need someone to talk me out of swapping a late model front end and 6 panel tailights onto it.

jvPjNrDl.jpg

This was the one in FL right?

Glad to see it went to a good home.

Keep us posted.

This was the one in FL right?

Glad to see it went to a good home.

Keep us posted.

It was. Drove it back 520 miles from Daytona to Calhoun GA. Lost power to the fuel pump north of Atlanta, spun the fuse around a couple times and i was back on the road. 26 mpg on the way home...

I would definitely do the front end swap but leave the 5 panels.

I believe the cowl panel needs swapped to match to the late hood, correct?

If nice 5 panels werent so pricey, id leave them. The 83 was missing a reverse lens so the 82 is already missing one assembly.

I believe the cowl panel needs swapped to match to the late hood, correct?

If nice 5 panels werent so pricey, id leave them. The 83 was missing a reverse lens so the 82 is already missing one assembly.

I just scored really nice ones from posting on facebook volvo groups. Encountered some really nice people and got the tail lights for a reasonable price. We all suffer the same issue, the reverse light lens! :lol:

You want 86+ style hood?

240paint-renew2lo.jpg

or with flat hood with the same headlights ?

8d1e4314983e9ded19b39e596af6b421.jpg

Probably 86 up hood. Easier and cheaper to find. Use the late 240 grill with the black center. Maybe delete the skinny trim that runs around the car or find the wide turbo trim. I'll have to think on it some more before diving in too deep. Thoughts?

Someone really needs to repop the 5 panel reverse lens.

Probably 86 up hood. Easier and cheaper to find. Use the late 240 grill with the black center. Maybe delete the skinny trim that runs around the car or find the wide turbo trim. I'll have to think on it some more before diving in too deep. Thoughts?

Someone really needs to repop the 5 panel reverse lens.

I'm doing the same. I had the same thought process. Once I finish the car and sell it on, the new owner wouldn't have to worry about finding parts if the car were to ever get damgaed. The 83 242t I have didn't have a front windshield(or a rear one for that matter) and the windshield frame is rusty and would need replacement for sure. So I go to thinking and it made complete sense. Cut out the cowl area(in my case a portion of the windshield frame to) and weld in new piece. Not such a crazy idea after all.

The 82 was minding its own business this morning, peacefully taking up space in the shop. It looked lonely. Starved for attention since the 83 came along.

yaeKxMLl.jpg

Seemed like a great time to buy another parts car and get to work on this one again.

D3cyj1Zl.jpg

iM7b3cZl.jpg

Ready for the engine to come out.
K0NvUYIl.jpg

Remember kids, always label your parts.
weWdwS3l.jpg

A little progress finally. Had a chance to pull the engine and tranny as well as pull the drive shaft and exhaust. Rounded up a 88 240 parts car that is going to donate its front clip and b230 for the time being. Also managed to get some pressure washing done.

gZHCWZYl.jpg

kQnUpU2l.jpg

WwHONMrl.jpg

OcHKgAol.jpg

c6fuKsGl.jpg

blziXsGl.jpg

fFJymyKl.jpg

yX1FTFNl.jpg

Back