• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering U-Joint Options

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
The chunky aluminum lower steering u-joint on my car catches on my motor mount bracket in hard right turns, and the results can be quite exciting.

Does anyone know the specs for the steering shaft splines? I'm running the STS steering shaft on my car, which is just a Coleman part I believe.

I think it's a 3/4" 48-spline, but I'm away from the car right now and can't verify. Is the steering rack pinion also 3/4" 48 spline?

Something like this would give me the clearance I need I believe.

https://www.colemanracing.com/Steering/Steering-Shaft-Joints/Steering-Joint-34-x-34

Alex figured out what the spline on the 240 rack is and modified a Woodward U-joint to fit.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6250083&postcount=802

dqIkJJvh.jpg

When I was trying to figure mine out Jared, I dug into all that. I seem to recall that the reason I ended up not going aftermarket was that I couldn't match the spline count. Lemme go dig up my little black book and see if wrote down anything.....seems like it was an odd number - 47 or 43 or something like that.

If it's only touching in hard rights, can you remove some material in the offending area from the bracket?

The chunky aluminum lower steering u-joint on my car catches on my motor mount bracket in hard right turns, and the results can be quite exciting.

Does anyone know the specs for the steering shaft splines? I'm running the STS steering shaft on my car, which is just a Coleman part I believe.

I think it's a 3/4" 48-spline, but I'm away from the car right now and can't verify. Is the steering rack pinion also 3/4" 48 spline?

Something like this would give me the clearance I need I believe.

https://www.colemanracing.com/Steering/Steering-Shaft-Joints/Steering-Joint-34-x-34

I wonder if the earlier steel lower u-joint would clear better? I have both types. I can post up a picture of them side by side.

The steel one is still a chonker which is why I went with the woodward joint shown above. Pretty easy to modify the female spline with a die grinder so it'll fit.

Not exactly what you're after, but....
When I re-routed my +T turbo oil drain to the proper location the exhaust downpipe was too close. I cut and angled the downpipe away from the drain but then it just catches on the steering shaft. (right hand drive). I managed to find an engine mount that was 10mm smaller for the opposite side of the engine which gave the engine slighty less tilt. It wasn't noticable by looking at the engine but gave enough clearance for the shaft not to catch.
Maybe you would be able to shim up your engine mount to give it the clearance?
Tim

^Location: UK. They never sold right hand drive 240Turbos from the factory.

But point still stands? hardly apples to apples with Jared?s LS V8 swap & the buchka (this is the fake daily driver w/T6 B6284?T? engine or B8444 tube frame fake race car? Or neither?) thing?

RHD models except PRV-6 look pretty busy/cramped, 140s & earlier with all the repeater linkages look absurdly busy.

Great info on that Woodward joint, thank you. I've already clearanced the steel mounting bracket a fair bit. I haven't ground down the aluminum joint yet, but I'd kinda like to avoid that if I can. I may try it as an interim solution.

I'll bump the project thread for info on the joint for visibility. Thanks!

Back