• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 Vibrating in seccond gear

Yezzz

Since I have swapped a B230FK with an AW71 in my 244, I have severe vibrations in seccond gear. Especially under load.
The engine pretty much stock, running +-0.5 bar boost and the transmission has the accumulator mod and the IPD overdrive solenoid bypass installed.

I bought the transmission untested but was told it came out of a running and driving car.

Ever since I swapped all of the drive train in my Bertone there has been a shudder when you start to move. I think my torque arms are to blame. Yours my be the drive shaft support.

it's unlikely to be the transmission internals causing the vibration, it's more likely to be a driveshaft balance issue or driveshaft support issue. (also make sure the engine isn't torqueing over enough to cause contact elsewhere in the driveline)

Was the flywheel (or flex plate) removed from the engine during the trans swap? Is yes, verify that it is installed correctly.

Was the flywheel (or flex plate) removed from the engine during the trans swap? Is yes, verify that it is installed correctly.

It was removed but to my knowledge it has been installed like it should. Can you even mount it wrong and stull have a running engine? Since the ecu needs the correct signal?

it's unlikely to be the transmission internals causing the vibration, it's more likely to be a driveshaft balance issue or driveshaft support issue. (also make sure the engine isn't torqueing over enough to cause contact elsewhere in the driveline)

The enginemounts are fresh diesel mounts so it ist moving that much. You might be right on the driveshaft part. I got it seperated when I bought the 4 speed so it might be misaligned.

Is there any way I could confirm someting like that?

Think of the front half of the shaft as though it didn't have a slip joint. The yokes must be aligned like the rear half. When assembled, the yokes on the front half should be offset 90? from the rear half. You can still be 180? off so if you still have a vibration try the other way.

Look closely, some of the shafts have an arrow stamped into them. If so, align the arrows.

DriveshaftOrientation.jpg

Think of the front half of the shaft as though it didn't have a slip joint. The yokes must be aligned like the rear half. When assembled, the yokes on the front half should be offset 90? from the rear half. You can still be 180? off so if you still have a vibration try the other way.

Look closely, some of the shafts have an arrow stamped into them. If so, align the arrows.

I had been on the lookout for alignment arrows. Sadly I could find them. Ill try flipping the rear half this weekend, thanks for our input!

Back