• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mustang Brake Master Cylinder

While we are collecting this info, I will throw this out there. I read somewhere on here that you can put the Volvo reservoir on the Mustang master cylinder. While this is technically true, the Volvo has longer "nipples" on the bottom. I tried to o-ring it to space it up but no matter what I did, it would leak while bench bleeding it. Perhaps if you can hulk out on it and get 3 o rings in there it won't leak, but I couldn't get that many in there.

While we are collecting this info, I will throw this out there. I read somewhere on here that you can put the Volvo reservoir on the Mustang master cylinder. While this is technically true, the Volvo has longer "nipples" on the bottom. I tried to o-ring it to space it up but no matter what I did, it would leak while bench bleeding it. Perhaps if you can hulk out on it and get 3 o rings in there it won't leak, but I couldn't get that many in there.

I used the Volvo reservoir on one of my cars and I got it to seal by cutting the top flat ring part off the Volvo master cylinder seal and putting them onto the reservoir before putting the reservoir on the master cylinder. I ziptied the reservoir down to the master cylinder and it held 20+ psi twice while bleeding and it's been working for a year now with no leaks.

Interesting. Good tip, maybe a stainless flexible zip tie would take a little of the TB out of that fix.

The zip tie was mostly to prevent the reservoir from blowing off while bleeding. It didn't leak when I initially filled it and I just saw no reason to take the zip tie off after I was done.

Executed the R brakes conversion (f+r) on my 1993 960 (B234FT). Also use the CENTRIC 13061062 Master Cylinder for a 1994 Mustang. Excellent brake performance, far beyond stock. The only thing still missing is the Brake Fluid Level Sensor Connector. Need to hook up the sensor to the dash warning light in the unlikely event brake fluid level gets critical. Can anybody tell me where I can purchase that sensor connector?

8In1SVb.jpg
[/IMG]

You can buy a pigtail from various places; "Duralast 870" will get you some, e.g.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical...alast-electrical-wire-connector-870/87849_0_0

Just some anecdata; we have been running for a couple years now with the 240 reservoir in Cobra master with O-ring spacers trick. This setup leaks over time in a racing setup, and crud gets past the o-rings and down into the master inlets, forcing a regular strip / clean / rebuild cycle.

The Ranger reservoir does not clear Ben's strut bar, so not an option. There's very little clearance under the hood for remote reservoirs or I'd have gone that route already...

Just some anecdata; we have been running for a couple years now with the 240 reservoir in Cobra master with O-ring spacers trick. This setup leaks over time in a racing setup, and crud gets past the o-rings and down into the master inlets, forcing a regular strip / clean / rebuild cycle.

The Ranger reservoir does not clear Ben's strut bar, so not an option. There's very little clearance under the hood for remote reservoirs or I'd have gone that route already...

(twofast242gt) Bryan Havinga rigged up some remote reservoirs on his MC to clear. I think there are pics on his build thread.

I realise this is an old thread but does anyone have pics of how they did the brake pipes on the mustang master cylinder. Looks very close to the inner wing as they are on the opposite side of the stock mc.

K42OU3dl.jpg

Here you go.

All it took for me was a little adapter and slight bending of the stock lines. My ports were on the same side as stock.

K42OU3dl.jpg

Here you go.

All it took for me was a little adapter and slight bending of the stock lines. My ports were on the same side as stock.
That looks on an opposite side to my 240. I can’t send photos as it says it’s too large a picture to attach. As you look at your engine bay is your mc on the right hand side of the bay? The new mc once installed will have about 8mm to get the brake pipes in.

This won’t fit a RHD UK car. That’s the issue I think. Back to the drawing board.

So, eventually the garage came up with the idea of turning the LHD master cylinder upside down so it’s got the brake pipe inserts on the right side for a RHD car. Fit is good and extended the push rod too but there’s no brake pressure on the pedal. Got pressure to one front wheel but nothing on the rears. Any help would be appreciated. Car currently has no brakes.

That doesn't sound like a very sensible idea. How are they feeding the reservoir to the master? I would expect that you would get air locks inside the master cylinder, which might explain why you have no rear brakes.

Finding an alternative to the mustang cylinder that is suitable for use on a RHD car has evaded me so far.
The problem seems to be the design of the servo. Most modern master cylinders (which tend to be the larger size we need) have a protruding 'nose' which will not fit into the 240 servo. eg, this VW T4 one:
7d0611019a_1_1.jpg

We need it to be much shorter overall. 240 master for comparison:
21845.jpg

One possible option is the BMW E30 M3 cylinder which is 25.4mm, also found on the BMW E32 750i, part number 34311156643, but they are very expensive. It's also slightly smaller than the Mustang cylinder.
If anyone knows of anything else that might fit, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Back