• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Downpipe to Turbo Torque Specs

Metallo

Hi Guys,

I have a 940 1997 2.0 Turbo, I am currently fixing something on my car and I was wondering if you know what are the torque specs for the three nuts that join the downpipe to the turbo.
They are the ones in the flange.

I searched everywhere, but cannot find that value, very strange.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Alex

They are M8 studs, same as the exhaust manifold.
I’d use the manifold torque spec for reference.
It is hard to get a torque wrench on all 3 of those nuts, so don’t stress too much about the exact spec as long as they are tight.

Yeah, that lower nut can be quite challenging to get. Try a box wrench or ratcheting box wrench on it. The nut being only m8 should only be tightened to something like 15 maybe 18 ft lbs or tight without being crushed is another way of saying it.

Hi,

thank you all for your quick response.

Correct, the exhaust manifold bolts are 25Nm (18 ft-pound), so I will use the same.

Instead, the 4 lock nuts from the turbo to the exhaust manifold are 30Nm (22 ft-pound), and they are a PITA because you can only use a 13mm combination wrench, therefore no chance to measure the force, unless you buy something like this, but I am not sure if it is any good or not.

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you!
Alex

Hi,

thank you all for your quick response.

Correct, the exhaust manifold bolts are 25Nm (18 ft-pound), so I will use the same.

Instead, the 4 lock nuts from the turbo to the exhaust manifold are 30Nm (22 ft-pound), and they are a PITA because you can only use a 13mm combination wrench, therefore no chance to measure the force, unless you buy something like this, but I am not sure if it is any good or not.

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you!
Alex

Just get some crowfoot wrenches. They are just the end of a box wrench with a ratchet square instead of a handle.

Just get some crowfoot wrenches. They are just the end of a box wrench with a ratchet square instead of a handle.

They are not an option for those nuts, only a combination wrench with a 6 points site can do it, there is no space for anything else.

Back