• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Uncleknucklez 242 road ripper

Uncleknucklez

bruspeed
CAR RUNS ON MEGASQUIRT NOW!!! 1/7/2019

Car Currently 11/7/18:

XIlxq0vl.jpg

Spec list:

Suspension:
  • Kaplhenke Quick Steer Roll Correctors
  • Koni adjustable front strut
  • Koni yellow rear shock
  • SuperPro poly bush everywhere
  • New Moog ball joints
  • New tie rods
  • Adjustable camber plates
  • IPD lower chassis braces
  • IPD GT braces
  • IPD panhard
  • Home Made poly/heim torqe rods
  • Shortened rear trailing arms
  • 25/25 IPD sway bars
  • 32mm spacers on kaplehenke studs setup on the rear
  • New rear rotors
  • New axle seals
  • Coleman coilovers
  • Koni adjustable fronts
  • Koni yellow rears
  • Hyperco springs 350lbs front 8"x2.5"
  • Hyperco springs 275 lbs rear 11"x5"

Motor:
  • 1991 b230ft from 940T
  • Megasquirt 2 Version 3.0
  • NPR 27 row intercooler
  • 16 T turbo
  • Kinugawa WGA
  • IPD turbo cam
  • IPD adjustable cam gear
  • New cam seal
  • Aux shaft seal
  • Lh 2,2 dizzy
  • Ford Mustang Cobra injectors 41 lb/hr
  • MBC set at 15 psi
  • 3" home built full exhaust with dynomax muffler (needs a high flow cat)
  • 940 electric fan using stock relay and Saab temp switch
  • AEM dryflow cone filter for awesome sounds

Drivetrain:
  • T5 trans (refreshed)
  • Hurst short shift lever and eBay shifter
  • Aerostar aluminum driveshaft with Dampener
  • Avalanche T5 adapter
  • Yoshi drive shaft adapter
  • Saab Viggen pp/ Clutchnet SVO disc
  • 94+ mustang cross member
  • Kaplhenke machined flat flywheel, balanced
  • 260 master clutch cylinder
  • 740 slave cylinder
  • Welded flyweight G80 diff and aluminum diff cover
  • 3.91 1030 axle

Interior:
  • Momo Mod N38 stock car wheel (from a friends NASCAR south west tour car)
  • Custom Aluminum door cards
  • 1993 240 dash swap
  • Turbo cluster
  • Electric speedo
  • Volvo oil temp gauge
  • VDO cockpit boost gauge
  • AEM uego wideband
  • Delrin shift knob
  • Corbeau sport seats
  • New carpet
  • All interior changes from yuck beige to boss black
  • 93 240 R134 A/C complete conversion!!!!!!

Exterior:
  • Stock
  • Green respray (old)
  • Hella H4 headlights
  • Hella H4 driving lights
  • Weds "Bavaria" or "Albino" Fins 15x7 5x108 (refinished)
  • Dunlop dz102 205/55/15

I first saw this car for sale about a year ago, Some of you may recognize it. After messaging the PO via PM, and then text, and FB messenger (we like texting) a deal was struck, I loaded my 1969 142 on a trailer and hauled it down to LA to complete the transaction.

In front of the PO owner's casa, Vaya con Dios 14deuce
xbpuVN3l.jpg

This was on the ride back home.
6SY2G1ll.jpg

Trailer got a flat tire
cxqe3T4l.jpg

This is where she landed, Good ol' Merced, CA. 8/5/16
RqO1ZdBl.jpg

The plan was to spend the day buttoning up loose ends, and then come back the next weekend and have a runner to drive back to Sacramento :roll:

The car was mostly complete, just needed wiring finished, the full dash installed, most of the interior, and normal drive train swap odds and ends. Car came with tons of spares, lots of good parts, and "the hard part" done on the car.

rKN9S6Ul.jpg

vaXnjJjl.jpg

I quickly slammed the dash and interior together, and called it good for the weekend with plans to be back the next weekend to finish the important things and drive it back to Sac.........

Last edited:
3 months later, I hadn't touched the car, so I convinced my cousin to tow it the rest of the way to Sac.

So 90ish days after it started it's journey from SoCal to Sac, it finally reached it's destination on 11-15-16 averaging .1787 MPH over the course of the trip.

EH2JDh8l.jpg

(Sorry for the Instagram photo)

And spent it's first night indoors since leaving Chewy's garage

qoOgKcUl.jpg

3 months later.... I walked out to the spare fridge for the 500th time, and got sick of this sight

qZdMC0Ul.jpg

I did motivate myself enough to mock up the wheels that I knew were going on this car very early on

XDMHJIwl.jpg

My OG photochop terriblness

zQcStdel.jpg

Anyways, I couldn't get the damn thing to run, I spent a lot of time sorting the PO's work (which almost all of it was very good, and he was very helpful throughout) as well as gleaning info from Tbricks and whatnot on the kjet -> LH24 swap.

While I was fighting the fuel injection, I fixed a bunch of other issues with bad grounds, and generally sorting the dash swap to make sure everything worked as it should electronically (lighting, e-fan conversion).

I couldn't figure out why I didn't have spark (Bad LH ECU), then I couldn't figure out why I didn't have fuel past the injectors (4 bad injectors :omg:), then it would catch fire then just as quickly die (bad MAF) before finally I was able to excercise all the demons and the thing would light and idle and just generally be cool. This was May 8th, first time in several years the car moved itself.

vaAtklCl.jpg

I was so damn proud, relieved, exhausted, happy, determined, everything. I quickly washed the car (first time since I owned it) and ripped to the Shell to fill up with high test CA pee water. Open DP, no shift boot, Sunroof stuck, windows stuck and all. Feeling the 7 stock psi come in was a great feeling.

CxPeSuHl.jpg

5amiN8jl.jpg

Last edited:
Then it was time to make it liveable, I built this 3" exhaust with the intention of using the stock 940 cat for emissions compliance (more on that later), and stock 940 DP cut up to work.

9Tm3kZFl.jpg

KQyK4rTl.jpg

It's not the best looking exhaust around, but for my first ever lash at exhaust building it seems to be doing the trick, I will tuck it and move some stuff around eventually.

This is how the motor was looking

ME7Lsmdl.jpg

khCSdZZl.jpg

At this point, I was just driving it, Fixing some annoyances, and taking anyone who I could convince to get in it for a ride.

dBPZjknl.jpg

rJOHkPUl.jpg

Car was not fast, but with the 5 speed, and the instant torque from the T cam and 13C, it felt good.

About this time I decided it was ready for IPD, or something

Last edited:
IPD prep; things I did to my car because I can't control myself

I bought a cheap boost controller. It was awesome, 10 psi was a blast, so 13 psi is more gooder right? That's when I slipped the Yoshi T5 clutch and stock PP combo.

I ended up researching and reaching out to a couple T5 guys and deciding the Saab PP/ SVO disc setup would work for my modest WHP goals.

One week before IPD I ordered the clutch disc and decided to yank the transmission to get the flywheel resurfaced. Since the transmission was out, I decided the car needed a stereo, and sound deadening throughout, and the IPD turbo cam I have had since 2002 NIB, and the cam gear I got a few months back, and new u joints and a balance for the driveshaft. I Always had good timing.

gthFq2Yl.jpg

qb40uJ2l.jpg

zRZFfMTl.jpg

Ps9ZsYhl.jpg

O8CMOrgl.jpg

8ekX5Kll.jpg

Brotato chip helping with the cam install
2W6F6UOl.jpg

Things and parts scattered to the winds
JboQn5Zl.jpg

Camber YO
eYuY3n2l.jpg

I slammed it all back together on the Wednesday before IPD (thanks for the quick ship Clutchnet) and was feeling good. I snapped this pic
g82HHvpl.jpg

I put about 300 trouble free miles on the car before we were set to leave Friday am to head to Portland, 10 or so hours and 600 miles. We loaded the works and were ready to set off at 6 AM.

Last edited:
IPD was cool, 110 degrees is not

We broke down leaving the driveway for IPD, at 6 AM. It had a stumble, felt like a bad intank. So I quickly swapped it out, no dice, I did more diag, more reading, more testing, decided it was a bad MAF, again, and ran to the carquest to pick up a MAF and O2 (for good measure).

Sure enough, car ran decent with the reman maf, not good, but I chalked it up to needing to reset the ECU. We finally left Sac, at 1 pm, it was 100 degrees, and we had a 10 hour drive ahead of us.

WARNING GRATUITOUS SELFIES INCOMING

broke down
VxxtD0Ml.jpg

gettin that intank did
WL2Ivurl.jpg

rolling again 100 miles in
AngaUpll.jpg

200 miles
avXIbyel.jpg

300 miles
cQdhpKOl.jpg

400 miles
vKCSkrBl.jpg

500 miles, it was like 10 pm when this pic was taken, Oregon is weird, but we loved it
Hpp20qSl.jpg

My Speedo, and the sunset
x562rZKl.jpg

One of us made it to 600 miles, at 11:30

YHUdHtzl.jpg

I was so awestruck by the green of Northern Oregon, staggering
VFC5eBIl.jpg

And I made it to IPD
z0vvZ2cl.jpg

r5GXZUml.jpg

oh2IMDol.jpg

Everyone was super rad, I heard from tons of people "this is the exact car I want to build" and that felt pretty good, it's an everyman's car I feel. A people's car.

The roads were cool
1PlUWvCl.jpg

s0LsR1al.jpg

I came out to this the morning we were preparing to leave

DX4ZfaQl.jpg

The drive home was uneventful except for the obscene heat, the car however, never did overheat, Thanks car. I also want to shout out to my shorty, Who was the calm to my frustration, and was an absolute trooper on this escapade. Thanks Girl.

Now it was time to Smog and register.

Last edited:
After IPD, I drove the car, a lot. I had put 1400 miles on the IPD trip, took it to the central valley to visit my grandparents, to Reno, Carson city, just driving it. I put it into rotation as my daily.

There was a lingering A/F issue, the car was pig rich under boost, and had a lot of "hunting" for target AFR under cruise. Turned out that reman MAF I bought was bad, and was swapped out with a clean JY Bosch unit. All better.

This was on Hwy 50 towards Lake Tahoe
HcNYqT1l.jpg

With my Pop's 1927 Model T roadster. He built this car from scratch, starting only with the rear quarters and the firewall, everything else is hand fabricated in his garage. Like my 240, it is still a work in progress, but for now it is crazy fun to ride in.

sydlzTvl.jpg

T1GBg3fl.jpg

Here's a rolling shot, I am very happy with the "stance"
zOltnOe.jpg

ltCF118l.jpg

p0AfoNll.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6yPzR1q02LE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

During this whole build, I knew living in California I would need to smog the car :-( But it was built with this in mind, and retained all of the factory emissions pieces, EGR, evap, Cat, all from the donor 940. I had cleaned, and made sure the entire system was in good working order. I was ready for the referee.

The plan was to have the car reffed as a 1991 Volvo 940 (the donor vehicle). So I made the appointment, signed some papers, and watched them drive my baby away to do unscrupulous things to it behind closed doors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AvG_EjWlE5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They came out, handed me a couple sheets of paper noting the results. Sniff test PASS, visual inspection FAIL.

I was surprised. Per the ref, the transmission was not an Automatic, and as such, not original or acceptable. I was heartbroken, I wasn't going to put an AW71 in this car, and even if I wanted to, I didn't have one, or the crossmember, driveshaft, center support, shift stuff, none of it.

SO, then I registered it in Nevada, in a non smog county my parents live. Now I don't have to really worry about that part anymore, and will allow me to get crazy with it if I ever desire to do so.

Having driven the car so much, I was wishing more and more for A/C (the CA central valley is hot). A 1993 240 showed up in the Chico PnP, So I rushed up there, and pulled everything the A/C touches, pusher fan, wiring harness, relay, firewall plate, blower assembly, EVERYTHING (except for the switch that someone else got to first, I had one already though).

After my last trip to NV, the car wore out the tailshaft bushing and the rear output seal, and blew ATF all over the bottom of the car, and I was still dealing with a drivetrain vibration.

For these reasons the car is up on stands in my garage right now. All the A/C is in (that was fun) and I am prepping mentally to pull the trans to get the tail shaft bushing replaced. I am also going to put a new slip yoke on my freshly balanced drive shaft, and balance it again. Here's some pics of all that.

I installed a new drier, orifice tube, and all new Orings throughout.

before
u5wpFhol.jpg

after
nn9t48sl.jpg

WGfXZwrl.jpg

RemgImAl.jpg

HwdMKLhl.jpg

So this is where we are now, right back where we started, in my garage, on stands. Plans are to:
  • Charge A/C
  • Fix trans leak
  • New slip yoke
  • Section 3/4" from the rear lower control arms to center the wheels, and to gain more pinion adjustment
  • Build a catless 3" downpipe to go with the rest of the system, When I bought the car, it came with a TAO 3" stainless unit, that I foolishly sold because I never thought I would put one on and pass smog and what not. c'est la vie
  • Install the 15G sitting on my shelf
  • New window scrapers
  • New Sunroof seals
  • Refurbish the wheels

Just general things to make the car better.

4zzbx97l.jpg

OoszCDyl.jpg

dN9N4ual.jpg

qjHYwPtl.jpg

Last edited:
Those wheels work so well on your car. I wouldn't change a thing about this car, it is awesome

I really appreciate that, The car will stay the exact same. I have visions of building these rim centers into a 16x8/9 combo, but I like the sidewall on the car.

So that's where Chewy's car ended up. Great color combo and wheels!

That it is, Aaron, has been awesome throughout, supportive, knowledgeable, He actually came through Sacramento a week after I got it back on the road and got to take it for a drive, he loved it!

Beautiful car, brother. Do you have any guesses as to what sort of power you're making and how many mpg?

Love builds like this where you have a nice strong DD with functioning A/C and nice power. Great job!

Beautiful car, brother. Do you have any guesses as to what sort of power you're making and how many mpg?

Love builds like this where you have a nice strong DD with functioning A/C and nice power. Great job!

Thanks! That is the end goal, a fun DD, my kids and even my wife love the car, this one is here to stay.

I would estimate right now I'm making 190-200 hp? Realistic goal with the 15G, 3" DP, IPD turbo cam, and LH24 is somewhere in the 230-240 hp range? I'm not sure.

Microsquirt and a holset would be fun, but It really is plenty quick to keep up with modern traffic, and will probalby give me less grief overall.

This car is great. It's what I want my 140 to be, but I'll never have AC, power steering, etc.

Thanks man, The A/C is a real clincher for me, it's going to make this a really decent daily. I don't have power steering either, manual rack and appropriate column for me. That's why my steering wheel is so big! :omg:

Back